Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE BEEN IN THIS TOPIC BEFORE ABOUT A TWIN TURBO SET UP. ALTOUGH THE PRICE WAS GOING TO BE AROUND 7K AND IRAQ WAS CALLING.
HOWEVER, NOW, I AM BACK WITH A NEW COMPANY AND PERSONAL GOOD FRIEND OF MINE.

HIS-SELF AND HIS PARTENER ARE IN THE DESIGN STAGE OF A REAR MOUNT TURBO SYSTEM THAT WILL USE THE CPE HEADERS INSTEAD OF A TURBO MANIFOLD.

COMING OFF THE THE HEADERS IS A 2.5in PIPE BACK TO A T4 HYBRID TURBO AND THEN BACK UP TO THE FMI WILL BE A 3IN. THEN TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. IT WILL BE BOOSTING AROUND 8- 10 PSI WITH A TEK 3 MANAGE SYSTEM. OUR GOAL IS TO MAKE IT RELIABLE AND AFFORDABLE CONSIDERING HOW MUCH THE HEADERS COST US!!!!

Let me know what you all think and he will be doing this project to benifit all of us V-6 owners who just are tired of the aftermarket scene stepping on us...
I am still going to iraq and he is too , but it will be on its way come april of 2007 so if anything else comes up thats better ill jump ship.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
2 things to keep in mind.

1) though the thought of 8+psi is great, might wanna check what's needed to hold that pressure in regards to the block. rods, pistons, bearings....what's needed for that boost level

2) in the beginning stages (ie. when not trying to squeeze every last hp out of it) i really wouldn't worry about the CPE headers. the cost is just not worth it. though you might spool a bit quicker with them if they flow that much better, you can't put down too much on the car yet. so leave that as an upgrade down the road....crap, that's a lot off the price tag.

Haven't seen the tek system setup yet, so that should be interesting. there is a similar kit for the V6 getting put together here in SoCal, but will be using the Microtech ecu for tuning...not sure if they are going to run an IC at this point yet, we'll see.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think alot of people would be intersted, especially the headers people. But we've been disappointed too many times to get our hopes up... but in the 7k range will be too much for any body.
[/b]
I agree. I've been dreaming of a turbo for so long, but 7k would keep me dreaming.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You GUYS ARENT UNDERSTANDING.

THE PRICE WOULD BE AROUND 3K WITH THE TURBO AND THE PIPING ALONG WITH THE TEK 3 TUNNING.

I JUST THREW OUT THE PSI THAT THE COMPANY IS GOING TO TUNE THE CAR AT WHETHER OR NOT THEY COULD GO HIGHER THATS WHAT A DYNO IS FOR...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
YOU DONT UNDERSTAND.

there is alot more to turboing a NA car than making some janky setup off of a NA exhaust, then "tuning" it, without regarding the stock NA compression or internals.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
alot of members aren't going to be able to afford the $7,000 setup for the turbo. That's a good chunk of money out of most member's pockets. As seen numberous times before, turbos have been created for the 6ers a few times... but they typically ended in a disappointment. if a huge international company were to make a turbo setup, then there would be numerous hours of testing as well as reliability. That would then allow customers to want to buy the product as a result of good reputation and such. see where i'm coming from?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
First off, please do not post in all caps. Its very hard to read and feels like you are shouting everything. Second, as MrTea said, the CP-E headers will do little more than help you spool quicker on your basic kit. The biggest restriction would be the size of the turbo inlet, not the stock exhaust manifold, and using the stock parts would definitely knock down the price. I think you'd be able to pull 8-10 psi just fine without the cp-e headers, though going above 5psi I'd be worried about the rod bearing, as it has been seen to be a little fragile at times. Replacing that puts you out of the 3K range (and thats 3K WITH tuning? good luck!). You'll also need an intercooler for that kind of boost as well, so that'll bump the price up even more. What is the company you are going through grdrail?

i'm going to say that this should be locked. The other thread about my experience with STS should be enough...
[/b]
:huh: I don't get it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The company name is stfu/n/race.com

they are personal friends of mine. Sorry about the caps everyone.....

The internals are not going to be changed unless needed. This is just a proto type so the engine might blow but thats the risks illl take to get it right so that other 6 owners can have more power.

Also 3k is just a ball park figure nothing more, It could be less depending on how much he spends on the parts.

I already have a custom one pipe 2.5in no cats exaust system. There will be a intercooler involved (front mount). Some internals might have to be worked but thats all when the system has been put on, ran , programmed, dynoed, and then reprogrammed.

Please dont bash this thread,,,, I am into my car and just like you guys not many of these guys are just willing to try out custom jobs for money reasons and other issues. If the car blows then ill buy a new motor.....!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
What I don't understand is that there is already a turbo system designed for the v6 that PRacing is trying to sell.

Someone already went through the R&D to design the piping, and it does fit.

The only thing missing from what I understand is tuning.

Why doesn't a company just re-use the piping / intercooler layout from PRacing's kit (built by Wagner??) and just figure out the tuning.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I'm not bashing, but I think 3K is a highly unrealistic figure, especially if you're going to include an intercooler. Tuning alone will run you about $1000 for the unit and then some, and no company would sell a turbo setup for $2000 and turn any kind of reasonable profit. You're going to be looking $5K easy IMO for a retail price, which all things considered, isn't half bad if you really are pushing 8+ psi with an FMIC.

·
Registered
982 Posts
DaBears, why do you think you run everything? If this guy claims he will be able to get a turbo setup for the 6 community, why not let him see where he can go with it? Just because STS couldn't do it doesn't mean his company can't. The world does not revolve around your experiences.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
DaBears, why do you think you run everything? If this guy claims he will be able to get a turbo setup for the 6 community, why not let him see where he can go with it? Just because STS couldn't do it doesn't mean his company can't. The world does not revolve around your experiences.
[/b]
It was not about the fact that STS could not come through, it was more about the fact that the other thread already discussed the exact same things. Amount of boost possible with/without intercooler, tuning, etc...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you can get intercoolers for 400 dollars if you know people and or companies.
i had no idea about sts not being able to do it.....frankly, sts prolly saw it as a waste of time and money considering the lack of space. My guys want the turbo to be at the rear of the car near the trunk. Just as the pipe on a stock 6 would start to y-pipe for the dual tip look.

there the turbo would sit and cycle back to the front with a 3in pipe to the intercooler and then to the intake manifold.
The company shut the fuck up/n/race speacializes in 240sx but cause i know the owners they are all about helping me and our cause!!!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
obviously you dont know much about STS, because they specialize in putting turbos in the rear..

you wont do this for 3 grand tuned. it wont happen.

prove me wrong.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you just dont listen do u ...... I had said eairlier that 3k was a start price and could go up or down depending. If a company quoted me 6.5k for a twin set up with tunning and all the bells and whistles then half that would be about right, Dont you think. Oh yeah they ARE FRIENDS OF MINE.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
49 Replies
25 Participants
MrTea
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing