Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting a 6 soon and trying to decide on whether to get the V6 or 4cyl. in either case, i'll need to get an automatic (for my wife). just wondering which one you guys would get and why. thanx !

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: V6 or 4cyl ??

I'm not a real fan of any 4cyl 4sp AT. There is a world of difference between the V6 AT and the I4 AT, but you may be perfectly happy with it.

For transporting one or two adults the 4cyl AT is Ok, but a full load will really show the difference.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I have to agree with LB, I can count the number of 4-cylinder cars I like on one hand.

The 4 cylinder in the 6 is very smooth, but there is still a big difference between the two - especially when you add in a torque-sapping slushbox.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Hey, I thought the Chunkbox had something around 20% torque loss? That's right up there with the automatic! ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts

If you were going to get the 5-speed the choice would be harder. The 6i with the 5-speed may not be as quick as the 6s with the 5-speed but it is wonderfully entertaining.

It also gets 5mpg more than the bigger engine ... a pretty big deal with war looming in the middle east. Yeah, I'm old and remember folks waiting in long lines for gas.

But with the automatic transmission I believe the 6i is pretty mundane. I didn't play with the tiptronic style shifting but left on its own it wasn't particularly special. Luckily, the automatic 6s also doesn't take a 5mpg hit against the 6i automatic and it feels much better off the line. So a 6s is probably the better overall choice with an automatic.

Take 'em all out and see what suits you.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

The United States does not get a significat portion of it's oil from Iraq, not enough to make it matter if we go to war with them. It's just people wanting more money, there really is no shortage. In times of trouble, the US gets their oil from Saudia Arabia. Oh, that's also why we don't give a crap about what goes on in SA, we need their oil, it's a conflict of interest.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Gas isn't going to be 5 bucks a gallon here any time soon, and the world isn't running out.

·
Registered
468 Posts

i was on a street cruise last night with all my friends..2 modded wrx...a s2000...swapped civic hatch back...na supra that's been turbo'd...and a type r

they were all chuckling cuz it was a family car and not the modded hybrid civic i once used to have...until we got on the highway. i kept up with all of them minus the turbo'd supra pretty well. the 6s got their respect. they all loved how my car just pulled and pulled in the higher gears.

moral:
get the v6...i've driven the 4..just wasn't the car for me for obvious reasons. 7000 miles and ticking..i love my 6s!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

thanx a lot for the advice guys!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Replying to Topic 'V6 or 4cyl ??'

The 4cyl AT isnt too bad. Its way better that the Protoge5 which is what I was originally going to get for the wife. Its cool that they still give the manu-matic and once the revs are up, the engine performs well. No plans to mod it, except maybe an intake. Here is a picture of our Mazda6.

·
Registered
42 Posts

This is what www.canadiandriver.com had to say about the engine issue...

"Mazda was tasked with developing a new four-cylinder engine for Ford's massive worldwide operations. It will be built in four plants around the world and appears here as well as in the European Mondeo, American Ranger pickup and Mazda's own MPV. Next it will be found beneath the hood of the Land Rover Freelander, Ford Focus and a new Volvo.

It is a strong performer. Silent and supremely smooth, it is responsive and yet delivers reasonable fuel economy. There is plenty of low and mid-range torque and when combined with the five-speed manual, performance is at least the equivalent of many six-cylinder competitors. We would like to see a little more work on the aural qualities but were impressed with this newcomer.

The V6 used in the Mazda6 is a variation of the Ford 3.0 litre Duratec unit. The block is shared with the Tribute and several products wearing the Blue Oval, but the heads are unique to the Mazda6 and feature continuously variable intake-valve timing. "

:D

·
Registered
78 Posts

The I4 with manual should be a good choice. It saves gas, less operation cost, and still provides decent acceleration (0-60 in 7.9s from C&D for I4, and 0-60 in 6.8s from C&D for V6).

·
Registered
55 Posts

First, 7.9 vs 6.8 for 0-60 is nothing minor. That is a very significant difference.
I have driven a 5 spd 6i and a Auto 6s. By far the 6 cyl. is well worth it, go with the V6.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'V6 or 4cyl ??'

Get yourself the V6 with the manual... if you can find one. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'V6 or 4cyl ??'

I was originally asking the same question when I went looking for a new car. I drove both the 6 and 4 cyl engines in both the Mazda 6 and the Honda Accord. I went with the Mazda 6 (6 cyl engine) over the Accord because I felt that the 6's 6 cyl engine gave much more power. Now I'm not saying that the Accords 6 cyl engine was bad I just opted for the Mazda's because to me I wanted the power. If I were to go with a 4 cyl engine I would of went with the Accord. But I didnt' want a 4 cyl nor did I really like the body style of the Accord Sedan. I believe I definitely made the right choose going with the Mazda 6 (6 cyl).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by ozzie

get the I4 :D If you want the v6 you might as well buy a ford :p[/b]
....strip down the engine block and rebuild it with Mazda parts. My how you Aussies seem to forget the little details. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts