Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having a problem with my clutch switch that must be depressed to start the engine the other day and while under the dash noticed the throttle pedal looked unusual for its mount and connection. Didn't see any cable from the throttle pedal so looked at the engine and couldn't find any cable on the throttle bottle either. Figured we must have a fly be wire fully eletronic system. Never saw any advertisement or reviews stating the V6 was fly by wire. Hope Mazda has all the bugs worked out of this, hate for this system to go TU and engine to do its own thing regardless of what the throttle pedal tells it to do. My wifes 2001 Tribute with the same basic 3.0 V6 does not have a fly by fire throttle.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: V6 fly-by-wire throttle

I don't think it does have this. I thought I saw the throttle cable when I looked under the hood.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I think its drive-by-wire :) I does not fly if handled like it's supposed to :D

It has it. I think.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Yes,

This was a suprise to me. When I first picked up the car and drove it around, the throttle response feel sluggish and almost video game like. Then I notice we have traction control subsequently figure out that we have a computer control throttle body. Got to love technology, the car will drive itself very soon.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Really...I'll have to take a look again this weekend when I put on my sporty grill.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Don't get me wrong, my last reply was not to doubt you. It was meant more like "really...I'm feeling pretty stupid now". :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Replying to Topic 'V6 fly-by-wire throttle'

The Duratec motor has had drive-by-wire since the 1995 Contour and maybe even before that in the Mondeo.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by DuratecTour

The Duratec motor has had drive-by-wire since the 1995 Contour and maybe even before that in the Mondeo.[/b]
I'm confused. My brother's Contour has a throtte cable. We've adjusted it for better feel.

So, does the 6 have an electronic throttle or not?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Originally posted by DuratecTour

The Duratec motor has had drive-by-wire since the 1995 Contour and maybe even before that in the Mondeo.[/b]
I'm confused. My brother's Contour has a throtte cable. We've adjusted it for better feel.

So, does the 6 have an electronic throttle or not?[/b][/quote]

An easy way to check is with the engine off, have someone step on the gas pedal while watching the throttle body for movment. If you see nothing open the butterfly valve in the throttle body, then it has to be electronic of some sorts. This is the first vehicle I have had that I could not figure out how to 'goose' the engine from within the engine bay. There is no normal butterfly valve shaft with return spring and cable to grab hold of.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have a Ford PSD truck which has an electronic gas pedal. No problems. These things come with some sort of cut off switch on the pedal, at least my truck does. If you take your foot of the pedal, it activates the switch, and the engine automatically returns to idle. I just got my car, and haven't looked at the pedal yet, but I bet you it has something similar. For those saying their throttle is slow to respond, my Ford truck had a tab on the side of the pedal arm that pushed in the button on the safety switch. If the tab is too close to the switch it will require more pedal travel to get out of idle. That could be why yours is slow to respond, but, again, I haven't seen the 6's setup on the pedal yet. If so, easy fix, just bend tab further away from switch.:D

·
Registered
127 Posts

The V6 has an electronic throttle, period end of story. How the computer controls it is unknown. There are many techniques for this on the market. Nissan is a 1:1 ratio of pedal movement and throttle body position, which is ideal. Porsche's setup is a torque request. Meaning you push the throttle in 50% you get 50% of the torque available by the engine, however much the throttle body needs to be open for the correct amount of torque. BMW has a different setup, it general opens the throttle with a greater ratio to the pedal position. So that means you might have the pedal at 25% but the throttle body might be opened by 45%, as an example. So the question is how does Mazda handle it? However they do it, its slow... Too freakin slow... That is probably my biggest complaint with the car.

·
Registered
229 Posts

They just need to reprogram this. I don't see what is so difficult to make the throttle more responsive. Perhaps it might have something to do with how they tune these engine to run regular unleaded fuel. Anyway, it sux and I will be glad to use super unleaded fuel if it deems necessary.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I have circled the Electronic Throtle Control in the picture below.

·
Registered
315 Posts

It's merely an ECU tuning issue. When someone cracks the code and rebuilds it for better performance I'm sure the throttle issue will be fixed.

Meanwhile, if enough customers complain to their dealers and Mazda gets these, there could be a TSB and a software upgrade. But, you MUST complain and make sure the dealer notes the complaint and files it with Mazda tech.
There is generally nothing wrong with wireless throttle except fo the "feel" which can be improved if you complain enough.

Tome

·
Registered
526 Posts

I'll be complaining to my dealer for certain. It isn't a huge deal - but can be annoying. As has been said, there really isn't any reason for it.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

This would also help in the use of Anti-spinn and such. Instead of cutting fuel from a number of cylinders, the ECU could just bring the throttle down instead.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs
I'm confused. My brother's Contour has a throtte cable. We've adjusted it for better feel.  [/b]
The Duratec tour does have a throtle cable, but if you follow the cable, it goes to an actuator on the left side of the engine bay, where it is controled by the computer. I'm not sure how the Mazda engineers handled the throtle control, but the Contours never had any complaints about the throtle response.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: V6 fly-by-wire throttle

Is the 4 cylinder drive by wire as well?
When I test drove the V6 the only laggy thing I felt was the auto tranny. Throttle response was pretty good but than again that was only a test drive. So for those with the V6, how slow is the response?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Turn off your TCS and try throttle response then. Did it this morning, and I think throttle response is faster, not perfect, but definately better.:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts