Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Anyone concerns about the V6 engine not designed by Mazda? I heard the engine is based on a Ford V6, but Mazda modified the head or something. Any issue?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'V6 engine'

No, it's not a problem. The Duratec is a good engine, even when it's completely Ford. But this one is heavily modified by Mazda engineers. See it as a Mazda engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I'm majorly biased. So you probalby won't like my answer. :D

MazdaSpeed said nobody will want the GT I4...they are wrong...that is what I want. Full blown I4, I have a bias against domestic products. I basically avoid them like the plague. Domestic to North America that is.

I may test drive the V6 just to get a feel of it compared to the I4, but to me it better have that much more power over the I4 to make me even consider it. Which I don't believe it will. They did some changes to the V6 and added VVT to pull more power out of it and also to make it mroe reliable, but the I4 is a piece of work. Designed from the ground up...too bad Ford didn't ask Mazda to do a V6 for them like they did the I4...

·
Registered
355 Posts

I don't see anything wrong in your opinion Kranberry... Just don't go and tell that to a very strong patriot nationalists or whatever, they might get offended. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts

I too have not trusted US domestic products. I own a bulletproof Nissan V6 and enjoy it alot. With that said, I have heard nothing but good things about the Ford Duratec engine.
I also plan on test driving both before deciding on the V6 or 2.3 I4 here in the States.

·
Registered
391 Posts

The 3.0 V6 220 hp of the Mazda6 is the same engine that Ford put in the X-type Jaguar, but the Jag has 240 hp...

It's the only car I know that has that engine.

But, you know, Mazda did so much modifications on it that it's not even a Ford engine anymore!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Mazda has made quite a few changes to the Duratec block, but it's still basically the Duratec block. It is used in many Ford vehicles, and has gotten raves in its ST220 form in the European Mondeo. Mazda has addressed some NVH issues with the engine, and stepped up its power. The block itself is very reliable. In this day and age, you don't hear about many engine block failures, because they don't happen very often. I do recall a rash of them in Mitsubishi engines, but other than that most modern engine designs are fairly reliable. The Duratec has a very good track record, and I'd have no qualms about buying it. If people have a preference for the feel, balance, sound, or technology of the I-4, that's fine. The MZR is a wonderful piece of engineering. I would say it's a step above technologically than the V6, but that's mostly due to being a more recent design. But with the features that Mazda has added to the V6, I'd say it stacks up well against nearly any engine in its class. When you hear people comparing the smoothness of a V6 with the inline 6's in BMWs, that's some serious praise. And I've seen that mentioned in more than one article. So I would say drive them both and see which one fits your needs better. If you just can't get over the "domesticity" of the Duratec engine, then buy the I-4. Ultimately you're going to have to live with your decision day in and day out, so buy what you really want.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Don't forget the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish uses heavily modified Duratec V6's put together to form a 6.0L V12. That engine has been praised as one of the greatest supercar engines of all time. They said it doesn't sing quite like a Ferrari V12, but that it has one of the most inspiring, throaty sounds of any car engine on the planet.

A block is a block. That is not where problems arise. It is what you put on that block that makes an engine good, bad, unreliable, smooth, etc.

The I4 is definitely a technology step above the V6, but so far from the reviews, the V6 actually sounds like it is more powerful, smoother, and more inspiring than I had expected. Maybe even I too was expecting it to sound like a Taurus motor.

I was stuck on the I4, but I think I'm gonna seriously consider the V6 now....

·
Registered
286 Posts

Jerome81, let me tell you, test drive both the I4 and the 6S. You'll definitely like the 6s A LOT better, much more power and pull. I tested both, the I4 in MT, and the 6s in both AT and MT. I liked the smooth gear transition of the AT, but I wasn't thrilled about the sports shift. I just couldn't get it right. When I got behind the wheel of the MT, I was able to let it loose, and let me tell you, it was amazing!

O

·
0 Posts

There was an issue at one time with the 2.5L Duratecs in the Contour SVT's spinning bearings. I believe this issue was worked out through the years and you shouldn't have any problems with the engine. I think you'll find it one of the smoothest V6's out there. It likes to rev and has one of the best torque curves (well more like line) that you'll find anywhere. Since at least 2000 it has proven to be a very reliable engine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reading Topic: V6 engine

Alot of the smoothness comes from the dual frequency harmonic damper that ford of europe began using a year or so ago on the ST220...

Many contour owners have been installing these and are reporting their motors are now smooth as silk. There's one sitting in my garage that's going on the 3.0 that's going in my contour as soon as the weather warms up...

One bad thing is, you can't underdrive the crank pulley without loseing this damper and it's effects of smoothness and increased engine longitivity.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reading Topic: V6 engine

What is all this amazing technology everyone seems to claim the MZr engine has in it? I'm curious because it seems like any old I4 to me... I mean its specs obviously demonstrate that it's a highly efficient engine, but what is it that mechanically sets the MZR apart from other >2.0L displacement I4s?

-Alt

·
Registered
577 Posts

Hmmm...tough question to answer there...

You are right about it being an all aluminum DOHC 4 cylinder engine....

The block is VERY strong and yet lightweight, thanks to the Cosworth casting process. So they get the strength of a cast iron block, but the weight of an aluminum block..this is a big deal.

I just read an article about how Dodge went with a iron block/aluminum head package for the 2.4L Neon SRT-4....for strength purposes. Well, Ford can run boost on these blocks all day long, but have an engine that weighs considerably less.

The cylinder heads on these new Duratec engines are pretty friggin good for a stock part. Anyone that I have shown the head to is amazed it is a factory part.....anything form the valve sizes to the intake/exhaust ports, to the lifters...it is pretty amazing. I cant wait until we are in a position to do some limit testing on these engines. Just to see what they can do in stock trim, then see what they can do with forged pistons and rods with a stock head and lots of boost, and then of course with a ported/polished head.

I can guarantee you will see some VERY high horsepower out of these engines both in naturally aspirated and forced induction forms. Honda's reign of having the fastest all motor import drag cars my soon be coming to an end.. and I have heard that from die hard Honda guys when talking about this new Duratec engine.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
514 Posts

Originally posted by DuratecTour

One bad thing is, you can't underdrive the crank pulley without loseing this damper and it's effects of smoothness and increased engine longitivity.[/b]
I know a company called Fischer makes underdrive pulleys with harmonic dampers in them for the 300ZX. I think they can make dampers for any engine.

-Alt

·
Registered
168 Posts

Originally posted by AltersysI know a company called Fischer makes underdrive pulleys with harmonic dampers in them for the 300ZX.  I think they can make dampers for any engine.

-Alt[/b]
Well as long as they can manufacture a damper that will correctly work in both frequencies...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts