Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I got mine from Summit Racing. Any universal kit will work as long as it has a 22x1.5 thread adapter. The relocation kit requires a different oil filter though, one that has 3/4-16 threads.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (Mazda6sMtx @ Jul 29 2008, 07:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1400627
I didn't take much photos of my motor swap. I did end up pulling it out of the top, but to do so I had to remove EVERYTHING off of the engine and the car. CanyonRider's way of dropping it out is much easier. I didn't have much choice as I don't have the money nor the room to get a transmission jack.

For re installation I'm going to put the motor on the floor through the engine bay and then raise it up into it's final position.

My engine died from a bad PVC valve so with the new motor going in so will an oil catch can, and a few other goodies. It's been quite the amount of work and any bolts left over I'm going to consider weight reduction. My AC is also coming out as part of this install, and yes the belt routing is fine without it. I'm waiting to get my fluidampr in order to measure for a proper sized belt.

I also think I may have found another potential cause for the header rattle but more will be seem after my install.

Sorry for the thread jack.[/b]
Did you or CanyonRider find any of the reasons why the headers rattle? CanyonRider did you get these new and they still have a rattle?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
QUOTE (doubleb @ Sep 3 2008, 10:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1426217
What kind of headers are those that your putting into your new sexy engine? lol[/b]
They are from CPE.

QUOTE (HighSpeed6 @ Sep 3 2008, 11:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1426247
Did you or CanyonRider find any of the reasons why the headers rattle? CanyonRider did you get these new and they still have a rattle?[/b]
Yeah, got'em new. It isn't a rattle as much as it is a raspy resonance right around 3k rpm. The more load you have on the engine at that rpm the more raspy it sounds. I've become used to it and don't might it so much.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whoa! Header wrap was my next project. It never even occured to me about the oil filter dumping oil on it.

*Feeling kinda dumb right now...*

Probably saved me from a nasty engine fire in the future. It's been said about a few hundred times now, but you are the man CanyonRider! Always polite and willing to help us out with lessons learned. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
awesome writeup! any news on possibilties of adding the '09 engine into a Generation 1 car? :boobs:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
QUOTE (Toadster @ Sep 18 2008, 04:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1439224
awesome writeup! any news on possibilties of adding the '09 engine into a Generation 1 car? :boobs:[/b]
Can anyone think how freakin' sick that would be a Generation 1 3.7L V6 MTX Mazda6!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Don't temp me the engine mounts look the same. I just wish motor died in two years so I could have done that.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Mazda6sMtx @ Oct 22 2008, 02:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463567
Don't temp me the engine mounts look the same. I just wish motor died in two years so I could have done that.[/b]

I have looked into it and it is cost prohibitive on doing the 3.5/3.7 swap.....Bellhousing is different than the MTX for one... :swearin:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
QUOTE (djquik1 @ Oct 22 2008, 12:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463576
I have looked into it and it is cost prohibitive on doing the 3.5/3.7 swap.....Bellhousing is different than the MTX for one... :swearin:[/b]
What is a bellhousing? Are you saying here is no way of swapping them out?

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Oct 22 2008, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463646
What is a bellhousing? Are you saying here is no way of swapping them out?[/b]
Easiest way of explaining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_housing

The bolt pattern from the MTX is different than the new 3.5/3.7L so you would have to make an adaptor plate and start engineering new clearances for one....I have done a few engine swaps in my day and this is where the real fun begins when you have to overcome something like this as there is no MTX option with the 3.5/3.7 engine.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
QUOTE (djquik1 @ Oct 22 2008, 02:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463653
Easiest way of explaining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_housing

The bolt pattern from the MTX is different than the new 3.5/3.7L so you would have to make an adaptor plate and start engineering new clearances for one....I have done a few engine swaps in my day and this is where the real fun begins when you have to overcome something like this as there is no MTX option with the 3.5/3.7 engine.[/b]
Ok, so the bellhousing of say a 2003 V6 MTX wouldn't match up (bolt-wise) to the 09 3.7 V6 MTX? So basically, it would mean some crazy engineering would have to go into this before anone can do this swap?

I hope I can gradute out of my current engineering school soon! (I'm a freshman) lol

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Oct 22 2008, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463661
Ok, so the bellhousing of say a 2003 V6 MTX wouldn't match up (bolt-wise) to the 09 3.7 V6 MTX? So basically, it would mean some crazy engineering would have to go into this before anone can do this swap?

I hope I can gradute out of my current engineering school soon! (I'm a freshman) lol[/b]

Not crazy engineering per say,just not cost effective on this application.

I have seen several drag cars with Ford engines and Chevy transmissions,because the Chevy transmissions were cheaper and could handle more power.....prime example the 2 speed Powerglide.

They used and adaptor plate between the engine/transmission.While not as big of a deal on an automatic,you have to worry about distances for the clutch to travel engagement/disengagement points,etc....

Then since there is not a MTX behind a 3.5/3.7 currently,you never know if the crankshaft is machined to accept a pilot bearing.....which would mean tearing down the engine to drill the crankshaft to accept that(this would be the proper procedure,however could be accomplished other ways.)

This is just some of the minor things you have to worry about.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Our transmission don't even use a pilot bearing. Mine never had one when I took it apart, the new engine from the wreckers didn't have one.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Mazda6sMtx @ Oct 22 2008, 08:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463837
Our transmission don't even use a pilot bearing. Mine never had one when I took it apart, the new engine from the wreckers didn't have one.[/b]
It probably came out in pieces

I hope you have not put yours back together yet.
Look above at the picture with the starter and he has the oem in in the pic,
It even gave him a problem on going back together because of a tight fit,but it is a pilot bushing not a bearing.

I can post the oem part number for you

AJ011-6533-A

161 - 180 of 280 Posts