Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to one of my local Mazda dealers who stated how difficult if was for dealers to obtain V6 engines with 5sp trannys. The dealer custom ordering system was kicking back V6 5sp orders. Said Mazda severaly under estimated the demand for this combination. Also said Mazda Japan was sending Japan made Duritec V6 engines over as a stop gap until the US made V6's could ramp up production. The first batch of V6 engines hitting the US market were US made, but the engine factory primarliy produced Tribute engines and was not yet fully operation to keep up with demand for the M6 engines.

He said the 220hp V6 engine was specifically tweaked by Mazda Japan and anyone waiting for a V6 5sp combo for the next several months could get either engine. Also, unfortunately Mazda USA does not presently have a good recovery plan in place to keep up with the demand for the foreseeable future. Sounds just like what Mazda had happen with the Tribute when it first came out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Reading Topic: V6 engine orgin

Japan made v6 for the 6? I think they only have 4 bangers in Japan 6's, unless they are using an engine from a different model vehicle. I didn't hear this when I ordered mine, hope it doesn't take longer than 60-90 days from order date.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'V6 engine orgin'

ZMZMSIX makes a good point. I don't know the specific engines produced for the Asian and European markets by Japan to rule out that no V6 is produced their. I suppose the dealer could be all wet with the info he gave me too.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I will have to check but I believe that the MPV is available with the 3.0 V6. They may be able to produce the 6s V6 on that line also.

Yep, a 3.0L V6 is available on the JDM MPV. But I would suspect that it is not the engine that is the problem but the 5sp transmission that comes from Japan. There are many lines here and in Japan that could ramp up to produce the V6 but the transmissions are probably only built on one line.

·
Registered
205 Posts

From my understanding, Mazda6 engine assembly is as follows:

Mazda6's assembled in Michigan, USA:
4-cylinder: Chihuahua, Mexico
6-cylinder: Cleveland, Ohio

Mazda6's assembled in Japan:
4-cylinder: Hiroshima, Japan

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I'm betting the transmission is at fault as well. But then again, the transmission on the V6 is also unique to the US, so where is it produced? I wouldn't think the Hiroshima plant would have any capability to produce that tranny.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Word from the Flat Rock plant is that all of the V6's come from the States (Cleveland) and the 5-speed manual transmissions come from Japan. Your dealer is full of BS; or at least "misinformed".

Also, from what my wife tells me they are not overloaded in the factory at all for any of the M6 variants.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by halfadozen

Word from the Flat Rock plant is that all of the V6's come from the States (Cleveland) and the 5-speed manual transmissions come from Japan. Your dealer is full of BS; or at least "misinformed".  

Also, from what my wife tells me they are not overloaded in the factory at all for any of the M6 variants.[/b]
Sounds like you have an inside track to the factory. Whatever the issue is, the DFW dealers are getting very few loaded V6 5sp's. Both dealers I talked to have customers waiting for cars now. Seems like most M6's contain the 4 cyl with only minimal options. I've only seen one 5sp thusfar and that car did not have the sport package.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Sounds like dealers ordered too many automatics not anticipating their market and are waiting to sell those. I don't get their problem with ordering manuals.
I've read mention about the ordering system. Perhaps, there is a probem with that system?
Maybe someone at Mazda should look into it?

Tome

·
Registered
170 Posts

Originally posted by M-006

Sounds like dealers ordered too many automatics not anticipating their market and are waiting to sell those.  I don't get their problem with ordering manuals.
I've read mention about the ordering system.  Perhaps, there is a probem with that system?
Maybe someone at Mazda should look into it?

Tome[/b]
I've determined that you are correct with them ordering too many automatics, they are probably lying about not being able to order a 6 with manual because they want you to buy the car NOW. Of course they don't want you to wait because chances ar you are going to find it elsewhere first. (or at least this is the experince I had with a sh*tty dealership)

·
Registered
75 Posts

All duratec V6's are made here. Whether for the Taurus, 6, Xtype, Stype, LS, freelander, etc. They are assembled here (US).

·
Registered
5 Posts

i went to 3 mazda dealers and they informed me that all mazda6 were made and assembled in japan and are stamped with japanese vins. Since i am a jdm whore i hope so, but that is what they all told me so someone please infom me. I checked and they are stamped with japanese vins(in Canada anyways) but it might differ here. In Canada we get more cars made in Japan like all integras and rsx and the 240sx was made in japan and came with lsd on 240.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Your dealer is flat out lying to you. The car is assembled in Michigan, and the engine is made in Cleveland i think.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Rouge, your best bet for a JDM car is to go and buy a JDM car. Here are some examples I believe are still made in Japan. Lexus GS, LS and LX models; Acura TSX and RL; Infiniti G35, Q45, I45, and FX35/45; Nissan 350, Murano, and Maxima; Mazda Protege and all Subarus.

Those are the only options for a true JDM vehicles. They are actually made in Japan and ship by boat over here. Any others that you may think are JDM are made or assembled here in North America.

·
Registered
205 Posts

ROGUE6: From your post, it sounds like you're from Canada. If so, the Canadian and US versions of the Mazda6 are assembled in Michigan, not Japan. The Michigan Mazda6's VIN's begin with 1 = USA

CoolGrey6 : To tell assembly origin from the VIN, jusit look at the first digit/character:

1 or 4 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
J = Japan
K = Korea
S = England
W = Germany
Z = Italy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Originally posted by hieppo

Rouge, your best bet for a JDM car is to go and buy a JDM car.  Here are some examples I believe are still made in Japan.  Lexus GS, LS and LX models; Acura TSX and RL; Infiniti G35, Q45, I45, and FX35/45; Nissan 350, Murano, and Maxima; Mazda Protege and all Subarus.

Those are the only options for a true JDM vehicles.  They are actually made in Japan and ship by boat over here.  Any others that you may think are JDM are made or assembled here in North America.[/b]
An interesting bit, about 5 years ago I was helping a friend shop for a Honda Civic. At the dealer, I saw the same Civic make with a country of orgin sticker of Japan and also some Civics with a USA orgin sticker. Asked the dealer about this, he said Honda Japan sent some of their surplus stock to Honda USA to sell in the states. Unfortunately the color my friend choose was not one that was made in Japan, but for Honda's its probably not a big deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: V6 engine orgin

Mazda have made some crappy auto tranny in the past. Does anyone know if these are any stronger. I wonder if the 6i auto trans will handle power upgrade on it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: V6 engine orgin

The 5spd automatic is made by JATCO (Japanese Automatic Transmission Co.). I don't know about other Mazda autos. Also keep in mind that the autos put on the 1994-2002 626 were actually Ford autos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts