Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your 6 suffer from:
  • Passing gear lag, takes it sweet time to drop a gear and accelerate
  • Abrupt downshift (skipping gears like 3->1, 4->2, 6->3)
  • Jerking off idle while rolling on and off the throttle i.e. traffic jams
  • Abrupt engagement under light throttle
  • Non-linear control of engine speed for minor throttle changes
I've owned my 6 for just about a year now and have a VERY SIMPLE CURE for these conditions. Reset the Throttle Curve!

HOW TO RESET THROTTLE CURVE:
  • Drive car to warm engine and drive train
  • Stop car and leave transmission in Park (Manual trans, leave it in gear).
  • Turn Ignition Switch OFF
  • Let off throttle pedal completely
  • Turn Ignition Switch on to Run position BUT DO NOT START!!
  • Slowly, consistently and at the even rate, depress the throttle pedal completely to the floor. BE SMOOTH!!!
  • Once down completely, Slowly, consistently and at the same rate, RELEASE the throttle pedal completely from the floor.
  • Once at the top, remove your foot and turn the Ignition Key OFF!
  • Done!
  • - Repeat every 90 days or when you notice it not playing nice!!

As you all know the servo sounding noise under the hood when the key is turned off is the Throttle Body Calibrating itself for idle and partial throttle load. Over time, most of us NEVER use full throttle as much as we use idle and partial throttle. This is my theory but it seems as if the ECM looses track of the linear curve from idle to WOT and makes decisions based upon a non-linear curve. This simple process has corrected my car making it so much more pleasant to drive. Doing this every 3 months is now a MUST!!

I've done this to several TBW vehicles, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and Mazda 3. It seems to help all of them. Give it a try and report back.

Results may vary but it works well on this combination: 2006, AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd
THIS DOES NOT FIX; stumble, misfire, CEL Faults, poor tune.

TAG: Throttle By Wire, LAG, Abrupt engagement, being a Jerk!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have never heard of this, resetting the throttle curve? then again im no mechanic. i will try this tomorrow and report back to let everyone know if it changes anything. if it works thanks for the good find.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if we hit wot often this will have no effect?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Negative - mines WOT on a regular basis and it misbehaves over time.

I'm not sure if the 6 spd auto trans makes this different than the early models (5 spd auto) or what, but it also changed how it downshifts on its own going down hill. That is, two different hills I descend and tap the brakes on the way down. From this is decides it MUST drop gears. Before it would drop clear into 3rd. Now it only drops into 4th from 6th. What a blessing!

Also, gear changes from take off I have more throttle control and can select a gear based upon how much I push the gas. Before it would essentially do nothing to the bitter end then drop 2 or 3 gears and redline. It has 'improved transmission control' now. It drives like a normal car again!

It takes 20 seconds. Do it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried this, seems to make a small difference, but I cannot determine if its all in my head. Car was hesitant and shifts were slow beforehand, may be a big quicker and clearer now.

Why can't car companies just install a USB port or WIFI in their cars so we know exactly how the car is setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tried it. It's unsettling because following the steps above doesn't result in any feedback (nothing to confirm that it was done properly). Driven for over a week and don't feel any difference.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Worked for me. Noticed less lag immediately but at times I had the feeling the computer was relearning. Only drove it about 50 miles after that but all good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts