Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a 2006 Mazda 6s with the automatic 6 speed transmission. I need to change the transmission anyway, so besides the 6 speed transmission itself, and the pedal assembly what other components do I need? Is it a basic conversion? (meaning are all the parts interchangeable?). Does the ECU need to be swapped out? If someone has done this conversion let me know what you had to do.

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
253 Posts
I never did it on a 6 but from past experience, it is a lot cheaper to simply buy a manual car and sell the one you currently have
could also be cheaper to buy a manual Mazda6 and transfer alll your mods to it and keep the ATX mazda6 for winter

You usually have to change tranny, pedals, shifter, shifter cables, clutch pump, dril holes for the cables and stuff.
Im my previous experiences, the ECU had to be changed and sometimes the ATX ECU and MTX ECU have different harness
This means you migs end up having to rewire portions of the harnes or swap the harness.

I understand you love your car very and are attached to it but I honestly advise against it.

Accept the reality that another Mazda6 will be the same as your current mazda6 in the way it drives and feels,
the car will not come haunt you at night for changing it unless it is a Plymouth Fury

·
Registered
75 Posts
search man, I don't remember where it is on here but some wrote up a very thorough DIY guide with tons of pictures. I think it was 1000 pages when I printed it to study. Search "engine replacement" or "engine swap"

...I don't know if the write I'm thinking was actually a six speed come to think of it but it was definitely an auto to manual

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
snakoil
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing