Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring. Does anyone know if the windshield or side glass is UV filtering?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
652 Posts
The best way to test this is, if you have a transition lens (prescription glasses). You place the eyeglasses inside and see if the eyeglasses will darken. If it gets dark, then the car's glasses don't have UV protection.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Factory windshields from pretty well all manufacturers will block very nearly all UV. I can’t comment on aftermarket replacements, but it’s the plastic layer laminated between the glass panes that really improves UV absorption so I would suppose that even aftermarket is good at this.

Side and rear windows generally block most all UVB, which is what causes sunburn. They often don’t block UVA as well, though. How well varies and isn’t tied to car price. I don’t know about Mazda windows specifically.

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
Factory windshields from pretty well all manufacturers will block very nearly all UV. I can’t comment on aftermarket replacements, but it’s the plastic layer laminated between the glass panes that really improves UV absorption so I would suppose that even aftermarket is good at this.

Side and rear windows generally block most all UVB, which is what causes sunburn. They often don’t block UVA as well, though. How well varies and isn’t tied to car price. I don’t know about Mazda windows specifically.
"Laminated glass totally blocked UVA radiation, while smooth ordinary glass transmitted the highest dose (74.3%). Greater thicknesses of glass implied less radiation transmitted, but without a significant difference. Green glass totally blocked UVA radiation, while blue glass transmitted the highest dose of radiation (56.8%). The presence of a sunlight control film totally blocked UVA radiation. All glasses totally blocked UVB radiation."

-Duarte, I., Rotter, A., Malvestiti, A., & Silva, M. (2009). The role of glass as a barrier against the transmission of ultraviolet radiation: An experimental study. Photodermatology, Photoimmunology & Photomedicine, 25, 181– 184

Generally speaking, only the windscreen possesses any lamination.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bet you’re right. I’ve read of various cars going to laminated front side windows for exactly that, and wasn’t it for MY16 that the 6 was supposedly made significantly quieter inside? Or was that more recently?

Anyway, OP you should roll your side windows down just a bit and see whether there’s any sort of plastic film, even if it’s clear, on your side windows. If there is, it’s almost certain that it’s blocking all UV. My ‘15 Touring has a very well-done aftermarket tint on all the windows, but like all aftermarket tint you can easily see it where it ends just short of the tops of the windows.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I know it's really difficult to just look at the windows on the vehicle, but...... There wouldn't be two letters under "GV" there would there? Oh wait.... (That's my 2015 6-Sport; betcha my car is not unique....)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I know it's really difficult to just look at the windows on the vehicle, but...... There wouldn't be two letters under "GV" there would there? Oh wait.... (That's my 2015 6-Sport; betcha my car is not unique....)

View attachment 237848
I never thought I'll ever "see" you! Then I don't have to go back to US. Not that I can afford to right now.

Now, I'm curious and so I'll get out and take a picture.

·
Registered
652 Posts
BTW yes, those are transitions lenses, and no, they don't get dark when I'm in the car.
I got it now and this is the driver's side.

And this on the passenger side which has a similar label.

And to be fair, I made the effort to show my lenses.
😀

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
I'm not paying $160 for the standard. What, exactly, do the letters "UV" mean?
UV = Ultra Violet.
Most UVB is blocked by glass, so I would think the bulk is UVA. The remainder of UCB probably comes along for the ride.
If you have aftermarket tint you are most likely totally blocked.
I know nothing about the UVC blockage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
UV = Ultra Violet.
Yes. What I meant was:
The EEC’s Regulation 43 (R43) appears to specify testing for UV light transmission against ISO9050. ISO9050 simply describes the measurement procedure, and it is apparently a low-reproducibility procedure (meaning lab-to-lab variation is high). The ISO test does cover a frequency range that includes both UVA and UVB, but apparently only R43 specifies what transmission level is allowable. It may specify that UVB must be blocked to xx%, which of course is accomplished by all automotive glass. Or, maybe it doesn’t specify anything. Maybe it’s simply measure-and-report.

You gave a good reference which shows auto glass doing a poor job blocking UVA. A picture of a couple letters on a piece of glass which refer to a hidden standard doesn’t tell us anything.

And also: Auto glass blocks UVC. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts