Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in the Mazdza Speed CAI, and I am liking the difference it makes. I have the Automatic tranny
and was wondering about how far I can push "manual" shifing feature on it?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You can push as hard and as fast as you want. The computer actually protects the engine from most 'bonehead' type shifts. :nono: If you forget to shift going up, you'll bounce off the rev limiter. If you try to downshift at too high of a speed, the computer wont do the shift until the resulting RPM is in the safe range. (< 6250 RPM roughly) The computer changes to 1st when speed is under 5MPH for few seconds.

Just push the little lever over to manual, push your foot down to the floor, and tap the shifter back when the RPMs get to about 6400. By the time the shift happens you should be just a tad under the rev limiter. Tap the shifter forward for downshifts at 'appropriate' RPMs. :drive:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yup, what he said.

Just remember that although the trans has a "manual mode" it's most definately NOT a manual transmission and it will downkick you if it feels it is necessary. (atleast in the 04 or was it 05 mz3 rental I had)

think of it as the computer will downshift you if it feels necessary, but it will hold the desired gear until you tell it to upshift.

Bob

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yup, i do it most of the time when im entering the interstate or trying to smoke sum1 at the light...lol. Its pretty fun, but dont do it too much though....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah the computer pretty much gets in the way when it senses danger. If you're gonna be driving hard a lot, it's probably wise to invest in a tranny cooler if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Red line is the best place to shift when up shifting if your racing obviously. When your messin around with your car and say you like to drive it normal on the manual mode then shift 3-4k. Thats what i do at least

1 - 7 of 7 Posts