Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use these stock tires in the rain. I live in the Bay Area, so no snow but periods of moderate/heavy rain. It was light rain today and I felt no trouble but wondering if anyone can provide any insight on these tires.

Bridgestone Potenza RE050

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can I use these stock tires in the rain. I live in the Bay Area, so no snow but periods of moderate/heavy rain. It was light rain today and I felt no trouble but wondering if anyone can provide any insight on these tires.

[/b]
Yes. Of course. You have summer performance tires, not racing slicks.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Any tire that has a "tread," that is, open grooves can be used in the rain. How effective a tire is in the rain will be a function of the tread/void ratio and the depth of the tread. That is the tread block to groove ratio.

·
Registered
940 Posts

[/b]
As was mentioned, they just can't be used in very cold and such (which should not affect you). The stock tires on the MS6 are awesome in rain.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

[/b]
Actually, it is hard to think of any tire that would be better in the rain.

There are two separate qualities you want for a rain tire: a tread compound designed for high friction on wet pavement, and a tread design that allows the tire to maintain contact with the pavement. If the water cannot be moved -- that is, merely wet pavement with no free-to-move water on it -- then tread design is unimportant; but if there is standing or flowing water, tread design is important. The nature of the tread compound is always important.

The Potenza RE050 has a high void-to-tread area and a directional tread design, which makes it well-suited to the front position where measures against hydroplaning are mainly useful. (The rear tires mainly run in the track of the front tires about a tenth of a second, at highway speeds, after the front tires, if they have done their job, will have cleared the path for them.) As a summer tire, the RE050's tread compound is chemically designed to repel water; as a "performance" summer tire, the tread compound is relatively soft and sticky at above-freezing temperatures; together, those two qualities give the best traction one can hope for on wet pavement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts