Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm new to this board. I've had an '03 Mazda 6s since November and I love it.
Anyway, my wife was driving it today and hit the edge of a pothole, bending the front left rim. I don't think its safe to repair it (at least not for cheap) so I need a new rim. She has to drive a decent amount to work including 20 highway miles each way, so I don't want her on the spare.
I have an RX-7 that is in pieces in my garage awaiting money, and I am wondering if the wheels would fit. I have already researched the sizes. The tires on the 6 are 215-45-17's and the ones on the RX-7 are 225-50-16's. These are almost identical in diameter. The lug patterns on each are the same and both are 7" wide, so thats not a problem either. The problem is that the offset on the RX-7 is +40 and on the 16" 6 wheels, it is +55. Would I need to put on a 15mm spacer to make them work, or would they be safe as is?
We are very strapped for cash at the moment and need to find something to work until we can get some money together and find new wheels for cheap.
Edit:I was planning on switching out both front wheels, BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the tire calculator, the diameter of the stock tire is 24.6 inces, while the diameter of the new tire is 24.9 inches. This nets a total difference in speedometer reading of 1%. I guess I'll just put the 16s on the rear so theres less chance of it rubbing or affecting the handling. The tires on my rx7 are better anyway. It has Proxes T1-S's while the 6 has mid-range Yoko's.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
whoa, don't put them in the back. that is where they would rub, not in the front. If you are only going to put on 2 of them, put them in front

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, thanks for the quick reply. I just figured it would be better cause the rears arent steering, but I guess they put in lots of extra room in the front.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
According to the tire calculator, the diameter of the stock tire is 24.6 inces, while the diameter of the new tire is 24.9 inches. This nets a total difference in speedometer reading of 1%. I guess I'll just put the 16s on the rear so theres less chance of it rubbing or affecting the handling. The tires on my rx7 are better anyway. It has Proxes T1-S's while the 6 has mid-range Yoko's.
[/b]
Not sure where you're getting your info, but the stock 205/60R16 is 25.7 inches and the 215/50R17 is 25.5 inches. Using the -2% rule, you can go as small as 25.0 inches. At 24.9 inches, the 225/50R16 falls just outside of those parameters and the 215/45R17 is 24.6 inches tall, which is well outside the safe zone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
Business
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing