Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people were asking me about the USB connector on my radio panel after seeing it on my boost gage install pics.

So thought I would post what it is for, I have the AudioLink - USB, I bought a panel mount USB and 3.5mm stereo plug cable and mounted them in tape player cover.

You can only use one of the connectors at a time so I mounted the main control unit under the front dash so that I can change the plugs very easily.

I find that I use the USB more than the 3.5mm stereo plug. Can store about 250 songs on a 2Gig drive at 256kbps. AudioLink unit works great.

Mounted some very small LEDS next to the cable so that it can be seen at night.

[attachment=19574:DSCN0224.JPG] [attachment=19575:DSCN0226.JPG] [attachment=19576:DSCN0228.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THAT LOOKS GREAT...WHERE DID YOU GET THE USB PANEL MOUNT...I DONT HAVE THE TAPE DECK CAN I STILL DO THIS?[/b]
This is were I got the cable. I used the 3ft model.

http://www.datapro.net/products/1598.html - USB Cable

http://www.datapro.net/products/1224.html - 3.5mm Stereo Cable

If you had the tape deck you would have to put the cable somewhere else, the tape player would go where the blank cover is. The blank cover comes out from the back.

I waited to do this when I installed the boost gage so I would only have to take the radio out 1 time.

The hardest part was making the square hole for the USB drive, just take your time and you should be ok.

The 3.5mm stereo audio cable was easy, just drill a 1/4" hole.

I wanted to put it somewhere that I could remove and put the car back to stock if I need to. I just ordered an extra blank cover and installed the cable before I removed the radio.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
536 Posts
This has to be one of the simplest cleanest ideas on here that I have seen in a long time!! Very nice

·
Registered
464 Posts
Id like to know how you cut a nice hole too...I just built an HTPC for my sons room and put the PC in the closet. I have a wlal plate with panel mount USB and RCA cables that act as a passthrough to the PC. My holes didnt turn out as well as I though they would. :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what did u use to cut the hole for the USB?[/b]

Thanks guys,

Well since I was only cutting 1 hole, I filed it. I measured how big I wanted the hole and scibed it on the back with an awl.

I then drilled 1 small hole in each of the 4 corners. I then drilled 3 holes through the middle.

Then filed the rest until I got it to the size I wanted it, took about 30 to 40 mins. to do.

Since the Plastic turned dull after it was filed, I used a magic marker and ran it over the place I filed, made it less noticeable.

A friend of mine asked me how I did it after seeing it on my desk, at first he thought I bought it that way. Looked real good when it was done.

You can buy wall plates with holes in them if you are using them mounted on a wall.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Johnnny.....how daoes yours stay in place? Tazz has a mounting plate so its stable but urs looks like it will just fall out.[/b]
It stays in place by means a bridle like used in electrical mountings and a drop of Loctite glue. It is a strong mounting. I have several pendrives and I'm continuously changing between one and other. I have been using this system for two tears and I had never have any problem. I think the results looks very clean.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
awesome write up... wish this were in the speed6 section so more people knew about it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I must have missed it, but how does the usb port connect to the stereo and how does it change tracks?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just purchased everything for my own install.

The usb will be in the top map compartment, since I'll be using a mini HD not flash media. I dont like the idea of the plugged in unit being exposed, I'd hate for something to get snagged ruining the jack making me redo the wiring etc. The mini HD's are fairly large, I'll even use a 2.5 usb powered edge HD with 40gb of storage. I know the audiolink can be maxed file ammount wiset but I'm a DJ so I listen to many 2+ hour long mp3 live sets so I can easily have only 10 files that is over 10 gb if high enough quality.

So what I'll be doing differently is I'll have the audio jack in the glove box since the mp3 player will be controlled via hand. Thus the two functions of the audiolink will be in 2 different places.

Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
53 Posts
So what I'll be doing differently is I'll have the audio jack in the glove box since the mp3 player will be controlled via hand. Thus the two functions of the audiolink will be in 2 different places.

Thanks for the idea![/b]
But, remember that if you have a jack plugged into Audiolink line out, the USB port doesn't work. You will need an internal modification of the Audiolink module.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The mini HD's are fairly large, I'll even use a 2.5 usb powered edge HD with 40gb of storage.[/b]
From what I've read, that device doesn't support USB-powered devices, only externally powered drives can be used with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
From what I've read, that device doesn't support USB-powered devices, only externally powered drives can be used with it.[/b]

Can we get a confirmation on that? I was going to use my WD passport as my HD

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.