Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the USB functions in the new Mazda6? My 1st gen 6 doesn't have USB at all so I don't know what the USB is even useful for in current Mazda's. Does it just turn your phone/MP3 player into a hard drive or is there actually functionality between the headunit and the phone/MP3 player?

·
Registered
10 Posts
USB connector sits in centre console unit with the power adapter. I have an Ipod Nano. Connect to USB and in the entertainment unit the Ipod is identified. Can then use either via the touch pad or the commander unit. Will even charge the Ipod while it is connected. Worked first time and the sound is great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Audio unit will recognise your MPs on the USB. There is an option for a USB connection on the main display. Once you touch USB it will then display USB menu, song lists. You can then select, play, fast forward/reverse and shuffle, etc. playable data USB mode MP3, WMA, AAC FILE There is also bluetooth, if your devices are enabled. It all works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there anyway for the car to remember what song was playing last before it cuts off? One thing I noticed is that if I'm listening to an album on my iPod, and have to turn the car off for whatever reason, it will only start back at the first song on my list....not what was previously playing. Minor but a little aggravating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How does pandora work? Do you power it with your phone's internet? Will an android work?
Yes, you connect your phone via Bluetooth, start Pandora on your phone and then go to the Pandora tab on the head unit. Pandora streams using your phone's data connection.

I have noticed with both my wife's and my Droid Razrs that we have to turn the volume way up to hear anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm guessing this is just a limitation of the headunit's small size, but is there really no way to look at album art when your iPod is hooked up to the system?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there anyway for the car to remember what song was playing last before it cuts off? One thing I noticed is that if I'm listening to an album on my iPod, and have to turn the car off for whatever reason, it will only start back at the first song on my list....not what was previously playing. Minor but a little aggravating.
That is more than a minor aggravation. I hope you find a fix.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm guessing this is just a limitation of the headunit's small size, but is there really no way to look at album art when your iPod is hooked up to the system?
I'd think with a 5.8" screen they could easily do that.

These are the questions I wanted answered when I started this thread. The Pandora answer is a good one, even though I don't use Pandora. I hope it works that way with other apps too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd think with a 5.8" screen they could easily do that.

These are the questions I wanted answered when I started this thread. The Pandora answer is a good one, even though I don't use Pandora. I hope it works that way with other apps too.
I hooked it up via bluetooth as well as through the lightning/usb cable. Maybe it works, just not on an iPhone 5? I saw that technically an iPhone 5 is not supported in the manual as it lists just up to a 4S.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hooked it up via bluetooth as well as through the lightning/usb cable. Maybe it works, just not on an iPhone 5? I saw that technically an iPhone 5 is not supported in the manual as it lists just up to a 4S.
Just to clarify I'm not saying it will show the artwork, just that the screen size is not a reason for it not to. There are single-DIN headunits out there that show album artwork. 5.8" is more than enough.

Still can't figure out why Mazda would not put the same Pioneer units in ours that are available in the Asian cars. Sanyo/Panasonic is no more or less Japanese than Pioneer. Unless it has something to do with Bose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know how the USB functions in the new Mazda6? My 1st gen 6 doesn't have USB at all so I don't know what the USB is even useful for in current Mazda's. Does it just turn your phone/MP3 player into a hard drive or is there actually functionality between the headunit and the phone/MP3 player?
didnt mean to hijack your thread man..i was completely off topic! lol...you guys were talking about radios and i remembered how much that was bugging me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
didnt mean to hijack your thread man..i was completely off topic! lol...you guys were talking about radios and i remembered how much that was bugging me.
Didn't even notice a hijack. I think that was completely on topic. This is the kind of thing I want to know.

As much as I really don't want to do it I want my next car, which will be a Mazda6 (2015), to be able to do most of the things I want from a quality Pioneer (AppRadio2) or Sony (MirrorLink) headunit. I really want to be able to use my phone on the head unit itself. Not just Pandora and dialing phone numbers either. If that means I have to spend the money on a Pioneer or Sony then I'm going to have to do it I think.

Maybe the 2015 will have a different headunit? After Sanyo went belly up and was bought out by Panasonic I am almost expecting it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So new questions in the same vein..

1. What is Gracenote?

2. Does the audio let you play certain songs? I know with Ford Sync you can say "Play Elvis" or whatever, and the system will do so from your iPod. Will that work with the Mazda?

·
Registered
151 Posts
bluetooth is (for me)

sounds good and no plugging in anything..

in fact in the 2014 it just starts playing where it left off and stops playback when you turn off the car.

over usb I heard it takes a while because it wants to download the names of your songs and stuff...(havent tried usb myself yet though)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
hefe
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing