Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of making two seperate posts i figured i would combine them :)

1. UBS Flash Drives:

will be purchasing one soon but would like to know which one is best...

I have been researching on the internet but reading that stuff is like brain overload....

so if you guys could recommend some i would appreciate it... FYI i will be using it to save photos, music and other personal stuff....

thanks....

2. I am also looking to get an Ipod, would you guys suggest the Nano or the Orgininal Ipod and why??
If i do get this, is there something i can use to set it up in the 6??

thanks again :D

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
1. They are basically all the same. All of the internal chips are made by the same company.

2. Depends on what you want to do. Nanos are only 2 or 4 gb. Ipods can go up to 60gb

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
1. AFAICT most if not all USB "thumb" drives are made equal. Just don't get the cheapest thing out there.

2. The nano and normal (or "video") iPods serve very different functions. You need to define better how you want to use your music. I have both and use them differently. :)

To set it up in the 6, all you have to do is purchase the iPod AudioLink from RPM.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I really like the corsair usb flash drives. They have a limited lifetime warranty, and come with a rubber outer sell, which prevents you from damaging the unit when you drop it a few thousand times. (Happens all the freaking time).

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Basically its a few dollars more then most flash drives, but you get a lifetime warranty and a shell that actually protects somewhat against dropping and is water resistant.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820233009

Its like 60 bucks for a 2 gb unit, and 30 for a 1 gb.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Thanks crossbow, I think I might actually get that one... hah. Can't believe the 2GB drives are so cheap now. Plus I'm a fan of Corsair RAM, can't go wrong!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. AFAICT most if not all USB "thumb" drives are made equal. Just don't get the cheapest thing out there.

2. The nano and normal (or "video") iPods serve very different functions. You need to define better how you want to use your music. I have both and use them differently. :)

To set it up in the 6, all you have to do is purchase the iPod AudioLink from RPM.
[/b]
guess i really dont know much about the IPods... i will be using it mainly for music and listening to podcasts.. not sure what else you meant by defining how i want to use my music, sorry....

I really like the corsair usb flash drives. They have a limited lifetime warranty, and come with a rubber outer sell, which prevents you from damaging the unit when you drop it a few thousand times. (Happens all the freaking time).

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Basically its a few dollars more then most flash drives, but you get a lifetime warranty and a shell that actually protects somewhat against dropping and is water resistant.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820233009

Its like 60 bucks for a 2 gb unit, and 30 for a 1 gb.
[/b]
thanks crossbow ( dont think i know you that well to call you crossbutt as other members have :) )...
i will keep that one in mind and compare to other suggestions....

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Loving my Nano.
It really depends what you want to get out of your player. I listen to mine every day when I'm working out or driving. The Nano is light, fits in your pocket, and is very user friendly. I bought the 2gb when it first came out and the two regrets I have are:

1. Buy the 4gb version, it's only $50 more. If you are looking for something with a lot more room, then go with the older, bigger iPods.
2. Buy a case to keep it from scratching.

Everything you may have heard about how easy the Nano scratches is true. Mine is pretty scratched to hell but I shrug it off, knowing that i use it every damn day. It's just a shame since it is a beautiful piece of electronics.

I've owned two prior MP3 players and I will buy another iPod when it comes time to replace this one.

2gb Nano for $179.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Contour has a very nice transparent case for the nano called the iSee. I'd suggest taking the nano out of the Apple box and putting it straight into an iSee. ;)

I meant by different functions what 2poor mentioned above: the normal iPod is great for carrying your whole music collection around when traveling, but the nano brings portability to a whole new level. But it's memory is an order of magnitude smaller, so it works great for commutes, workouts, and just keeping with you wherever you go basically. Every now and then you throw a new random sampling of albums or tracks on it and go.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Contour has a very nice transparent case for the nano called the iSee. I'd suggest taking the nano out of the Apple box and putting it straight into an iSee. ;)

I meant by different functions what 2poor mentioned above: the normal iPod is great for carrying your whole music collection around when traveling, but the nano brings portability to a whole new level. But it's memory is an order of magnitude smaller, so it works great for commutes, workouts, and just keeping with you wherever you go basically. Every now and then you throw a new random sampling of albums or tracks on it and go.
[/b]
yeah, i will basically be using it when i work out and when i commute down to boston 2x week in the 6...

does anyone think it is a waste though, i have the Bose w/ 6 disc changer, doesnt it seem like they serve the same purpose.... although, i do understand that you can also get podcasts, pictures, videos etc w/ the Nano.... it will be alot easier to carry when working out too, unlike a CD player....

Loving my Nano.
It really depends what you want to get out of your player. I listen to mine every day when I'm working out or driving. The Nano is light, fits in your pocket, and is very user friendly. I bought the 2gb when it first came out and the two regrets I have are:

1. Buy the 4gb version, it's only $50 more. If you are looking for something with a lot more room, then go with the older, bigger iPods.
2. Buy a case to keep it from scratching.

Everything you may have heard about how easy the Nano scratches is true. Mine is pretty scratched to hell but I shrug it off, knowing that i use it every damn day. It's just a shame since it is a beautiful piece of electronics.

I've owned two prior MP3 players and I will buy another iPod when it comes time to replace this one.

2gb Nano for $179.

Good luck!
[/b]
thanks :) it definitely makes sense to get 2 more GB for only $50 more, thanks for the tip :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that Apple is pretty restrictive on the use of your mp3s. You can only sync the Ipod (any ipod) with one (1) computer. Though there are software tricks around that but that means additional hassle. This means that if you want to hook it up to a friends computer and get some tunes, it won't work. If you have a laptop and want to carry some music over from the desktop, it won't work. In addition the sound is not so great and the stock headphones suck badly. The 30 and 60gb models sound decent. Also I am pretty sure that it doesn't do WMA f you care for that, nor FLAC. But Applelossless is quite good. Al depends on how much of an audiophile you are.
For some ipods you can only charge them on a usb port (the new models). So you need an extra charger if you plan not to be around a computer.
The ipod battery is not user replaceable and has an expected lifetime of around 2 years; some have died way earlier. Cost $30-90 to replace and you gotta send it in; expensive hassle.
On the other hand the menu functions and user ergonomics are indeed great with the ipod. There are not many players out there that go up to 60gb and are as small.

You are also forced to run itunes in order to charge it. Other players let you use the player like an external hard disk. Just drag and drop your stuff on and off as you wish.

Here's what I'd do. If you have a large collection and travel a lot and you just like the feeling of having 10000 songs at hand get the 60gb model and throw it all on there. If you want to save space use playlists that you have previously composed on the desktop so only your faves are copied.

For car and walk use get a chip based (non hard-disk) player that is NOT apple but has easy drag and drop, allows playlists, has a radio and a voice recorder (great to record that traffic stop when you get pulled over), has a bloody simple rechargeable NiMH battery and a monochrome display (saves battery life). My Gf just got a a Sansa from Sandisk that fills these specs perfectly. Hers is 512 MB and cost $70 at Bestbuy. Get at least a 1GB model though. You can easily fit 6 hours in a high sampling rate (320kbit/s) on that. 128 sampling rate would give you the double time.

I hooked it up to my home stereo (I am a freak and others buy cars for less than what it cost) and the sound is actually quite good. I just had to play a bit with bass compensation in the unit's EQ setting. The phones that come with it are decent but Shure, Ultimate Ears and another in-ear phone that I don't remember right now are all better. Ah, Etymotics Research, that's the name. Count $100-400 or even 800 if you want to go overboard. Of course, these phones will help you to get the best out of the ipod, too. For sound quality the Sony NW-HD5 (20gig) has the best reputation but I haven't listened to it yet and they say the supplied software sucks. Yet it's the smallest 20gb player and looks good.

Hope that helped,

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing to keep in mind is that Apple is pretty restrictive on the use of your mp3s. You can only sync the Ipod (any ipod) with one (1) computer. Though there are software tricks around that but that means additional hassle. This means that if you want to hook it up to a friends computer and get some tunes, it won't work. If you have a laptop and want to carry some music over from the desktop, it won't work. In addition the sound is not so great and the stock headphones suck badly. The 30 and 60gb models sound decent. Also I am pretty sure that it doesn't do WMA f you care for that, nor FLAC. But Applelossless is quite good. Al depends on how much of an audiophile you are.
For some ipods you can only charge them on a usb port (the new models). So you need an extra charger if you plan not to be around a computer.
The ipod battery is not user replaceable and has an expected lifetime of around 2 years; some have died way earlier. Cost $30-90 to replace and you gotta send it in; expensive hassle.
On the other hand the menu functions and user ergonomics are indeed great with the ipod. There are not many players out there that go up to 60gb and are as small.

You are also forced to run itunes in order to charge it. Other players let you use the player like an external hard disk. Just drag and drop your stuff on and off as you wish.

Here's what I'd do. If you have a large collection and travel a lot and you just like the feeling of having 10000 songs at hand get the 60gb model and throw it all on there. If you want to save space use playlists that you have previously composed on the desktop so only your faves are copied.

For car and walk use get a chip based (non hard-disk) player that is NOT apple but has easy drag and drop, allows playlists, has a radio and a voice recorder (great to record that traffic stop when you get pulled over), has a bloody simple rechargeable NiMH battery and a monochrome display (saves battery life). My Gf just got a a Sansa from Sandisk that fills these specs perfectly. Hers is 512 MB and cost $70 at Bestbuy. Get at least a 1GB model though. You can easily fit 6 hours in a high sampling rate (320kbit/s) on that. 128 sampling rate would give you the double time.

I hooked it up to my home stereo (I am a freak and others buy cars for less than what it cost) and the sound is actually quite good. I just had to play a bit with bass compensation in the unit's EQ setting. The phones that come with it are decent but Shure, Ultimate Ears and another in-ear phone that I don't remember right now are all better. Ah, Etymotics Research, that's the name. Count $100-400 or even 800 if you want to go overboard. Of course, these phones will help you to get the best out of the ipod, too. For sound quality the Sony NW-HD5 (20gig) has the best reputation but I haven't listened to it yet and they say the supplied software sucks. Yet it's the smallest 20gb player and looks good.

Hope that helped,

Zoomspeed
[/b]
:huh: think i am more confused :headscrat: why you talk about phones???

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have to add in one more thing here: I love my Nano for the simple fact that I can recharge it via a USB port instead of an awkward wall adapter. I work around computers all day so I always have somewhere to charge it. On the way home, I slap it into my Audolink (lovingly provided by RPM) and it recharges in the car.

Iluv2zmzm: Zoomspeed is talking about headphones...'phones.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well got my Ipod today :D went w/ the 4GB Nano and saved $25 with my brothers discount at Target :yesnod:

now to order the audiolink from RPM....

have to find another place to get that Corsair USB flash drive, the website crossbow gave is on backorder.

well off to download some tunes!!!

thanks for everyones help :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Crash11
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing