Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking at importing a 2006 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon in to Canada and have a few questions on the US models. As the 2007's are now on the mazda.com page, it's difficult to find detail beyond the '06 brochure.

1) Do the 2006 US models have Daytime Running Lights?
2) For climate control, can you change between Fahrenheit and Celsius?
3) Does the spedometer have Miles and Kms on it?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
as far as I know:

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes (miles with big letters, km with small letters)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as far as I know:

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes (miles with big letters, km with small letters)
[/b]

Thank you... much appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
You can't take a car from the US to Canada I don't think. I know for a fact that you can't sell a Canadian car in the US. They're called grey market vehicles. You might want to check on that..

·
Registered
635 Posts
You can't take a car from the US to Canada I don't think. I know for a fact that you can't sell a Canadian car in the US. They're called grey market vehicles. You might want to check on that..
[/b]
you can definately buy a car from the US and import it into Canada as long as it meets all the regulations ... it involves some paperwork but saves you quite a bit with the recent exchange rates ... some manufacturers might not honour the warranty though ...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Huh?? Why import?
[/b]
Mazda still sets it's prices based on a low CAD value. The Canadian Dollar is in pretty good standing compared to the USD, so you can get a car considerably cheaper from the US, as long as you don't mind the paperwork and hassle of meeting the requirments (i.e. DRL).

Great example is the new speed3... mazdaUSA lists the price as 22835.. which converts to about 26000 CAD.. whereas the mazda canada website lists the price of the car as 30995, so you can see there is some omoney to be saved there. Also, many cases allow the warranty to be transferrable (not sure how Mazda feels about/handles this)

I'm not an expert on the subject.. but sometimes it can be quite cheaper to import.

See this thread for more info if you're interested:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307601

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah it can end up to be like 5k + cheaper when said and done, but I recall warranty work has to be done in the US if needed.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah it can end up to be like 5k + cheaper when said and done, but I recall warranty work has to be done in the US if needed.
[/b]
Actually Mazda's warranty is for North America, and is not specifically exclusive to either the US or Canada. However, how individual dealers will treat you once they know your car is an imported one is another matter, and beyond the control of Mazda Canada. Just something to think about.

There are some fees to pay, along with whatever place you choose (ex. Canadian Tire) may charge to add the DRLs. Then you need to take the paperwork back to the border crossing you did the importation through to show them you've had all the things done to make the car compliant. Research the riv.ca site and make sure you've done all your homework (for example, US Customs requires 3 business days between when you submit the export paperwork to the time the car appears at the border to leave the US). If you miss some of these details it will cost you time and money. Or have somebody else do it for you, but then you'll pay their middleman fees. reducing the overall savings.

If you're doing this yourself (not going thru a middleman) you'll need to have your own source of funds to purchase the car. MazdaUSA won't lease or finance to you (you're not a US citizen or live in the US, so how are they going to come after you if you default?), no financial instituion in the US will give you a loan (same reason), and no Canadian institution is going to lend you money for a car that isn't street legal in Canada. They will after you import it, but then it's a used car which means different, higher interest rates. However, lines of credit are easy to get if you have a good credit rating. Then you go and get a loan to pay off the line of credit (why? because credit lines usually require minimum payments of 3% of the remaining balance, which means massive monthly payments at the beginning if you use it for the full purchase price).

All this takes time and effort. Money is money and if you save some, great. But time is also of value, and unforeseen issues and problems can easily eat into any expected savings. Plus, Mazda Canada is offering pretty attractive lease and financing rates; easy and little effort. I'm just sayng go in with full knowledge of what's required, how much time is needed on your part, and what the all the additional costs add up to.

Finally, the Canadian dollar is pretty unstable right now, and on a general downward trend. A change of a few percent in the dollar can have a big impact too.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thank you... much appreciated.

Dave [/b]
well that poses an interesting question; does Mazda make some sort of a kit to add the DRL feature to cars not delivered with it.?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
well that poses an interesting question; does Mazda make some sort of a kit to add the DRL feature to cars not delivered with it.?
[/b]
Don't hold me to this, but I think the cars are built all the same for North America, and it may be as simple as adding the appropriate relay for the DRL. I haven't checked since I have the Canadian version and don't have any need to. :)

Of course Mazda Canada may charge an arm and partial leg for the DRL relay, because they may suspect the reason why people are buying it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts