Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest question I have is in regards to suspension. I know that about 6 months ago, I read that the Mazda6 would have the exact same suspension tuning for all markets throughout the world, and that the US would not get any numbed down version that we usually do (Thank God!). Is that still the plan? I know they changed the taillamps and probably a few other options, but is the suspension still that same wonderful tuning we've read about? Please tell me that is the case.

Second, when exactly will the cars be built. Someone posted a sheet about 2002 production changes at American plants, and I think it said the 6 was to commence production at Flat Rock on the 10th or 15th of October. However, I read an autoweek article that stated that inventory has already been stacking up at the Flat Rock facility and will be ready for shipment. Whats the deal with that? Are they just pre-production models with the consumer car production beginning yesterday or in a few days from now?

Lastly, I surfed over to edmunds.com, where they're picking the editors picks, and the most significant car of the year. The finalists are Honda Element, Nissan 350Z, Mazda6 and Porsche Cayenne. Pretty cool if you ask me. When was the last time you saw a FAMILY SEDAN ever listed on a most significant list? That is some stiff competition, and some good company for our beloved 6. I understand why they chose each car. I would probably rule out the cayenne, as it isn't anything truly ground breaking, unless you are Porsche. The other three are gonna be tight. While not a huge fan of the Z, it is undoubtedly an amazing car. So much performance, panache, handling for so little money. I will admit it is a difficult contender. The Element is significant as well. Here we have about the most functional, youth oriented vehicle I think I've ever seen. Yes it is ugly, but it is very ground breaking. A big jump for Honda too. Then the 6. Don't rule it out, this car is going to be the best handling, most surefooted, zippiest, fun to drive family sedan ever offered. It won't be the fastest, or the quietest, but as an all around package, I don't think it could ever be beat. There are a lot of cars out there who aspire to be Camry/Accords sales level, or 3 series wannabes, but only the 6 has been the true car that can be as close to both for the price. A very significant car for Mazda as well.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudg...html?id=lin9126

Anyway, just wanna hear what some think.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'US spec questions'

Originally posted by Jerome81

The biggest question I have is in regards to suspension.  I know that about 6 months ago, I read that the Mazda6 would have the exact same suspension tuning for all markets throughout the world, and that the US would not get any numbed down version that we usually do (Thank God!).  Is that still the plan?[/b]
Yeah - I am so sick of manufacturers mushing their suspension for our market.

Going to read the article as soon as I catch up on posts here...

·
Registered
86 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

Oh man, I was hoping for some more responses :([/b]

Couldn't agree with you more. In fact I first noticed the M6 because of its stunning looks. It's been a long time since any car really caught me in the looks dept.

Before changing to the M6, I was driving a Honda Civic 1.6 SIR with the VTEC engine. I had to upgrade cos' the family was expanding, so started shopping around for a mid-size car. In the Singapore market, most 2.0 cars are priced between S$112K to S$120K (US$62K to US$67K) the Nissan Primera and M6 were the only Japanese make that were priced in the S$104K to $106K (US$58 to US$59K) range, so my choice was narrowed to these 2 makes.

I didn't like the Primera because of the small size, centre dashboard, and the CVT transmission. So even though the M6 was S$2K more, and it comes without electronic foldable side mirrors and climate control A/C. It sure beats the Primera in terms of looks, and performance. So there you go.......my story behind why I chose the M6.

Oh...I forgot to mention.....The M6 actually feels like a European car......... very different from the feel of driving a Japanese car.....another plus for me.;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

If the Honda Element wins as most significant car of the year, I'll eat my shoes. That thing looks like the aborted offspring of a Land Rover and a mail truck along with a bunch of Pontiacish body cladding. I can see losing to the Z. That is some serious boneration. Otherwise the 6 should get it hands down. Oh and the last time a family car was in contention for most significant car was...last year, with the Nissan Altima.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Oh, Kenoka, you're so poetic!

Anyway...you're absolutely right. And make that an old, rusty mail truck.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts