Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, for the past couple weeks, whenever I get out of my car after a long drive (about 30 minutes or longer) the outside of my car has an aweful odor of rotten eggs. I believe this may be the catalytic converter?!?!? Is this correct? If so, is this covered under warranty? That would really suck if the catalytic converter went in under 3000 miles and less than 4 months since I have had the car. Please let me know. TIA

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Urgent! Engine Trouble Please Help

I get a similar smell too, every so often only if the A/C is on, and it's definately coming from the vents, but outside the car, nothing.

Rotten egg smell outside of the car is usually the tell tale of a failed catalytic converter, take it to the dealer. As long as you have done no modifications, you have a 40,000 mile/4 year warranty bumper-to-bumper, or at least I do.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

This is a normal smell for new cars. It's simply the process of breaking it in.. However, the smell should be outside of the car and not inside. I think there was an earlier post in here about this very same problem and I'll have to see if I can find the link to it later.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Urgent! Engine Trouble Please Help'

i get the smell too....

i don't even use ac or heat...i think it's normal.....cause my friend rsx has the rotten egg smell too inside and out...i can only smell mine outside.

·
Registered
13 Posts

the dealer told me it was the oils and stuff berning off the exhaust plus new brakes will make that smell for a little bit

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

ya i have read other posts on this topic and i also experience it and from what i read it seems to just go away. i notice it around 2500 rpm then i just speed up a little and it seems to go away. But i have noticed it more inside i have never really noticed on the outside

1 - 6 of 6 Posts