Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Any Trick to open the housing of the headlamps?
I found the topic to remove the bumper but not about the headlamps.
Pictures will be better
Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much DaBears2k. I know that I read that topic before but I couldnt find it. Thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

And then, suppously I have to bake for around 6 minutes to try to remove the sealant. But in the interior of the headlamp there are a lot of screws impossible to removes.

Those screws are in the interior. How I can remove those screws? I need to take them off to remove the housing from the cover, right?

My broken interior headlamp

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Thanks

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I heard you can use heat gun instead of baking to open the headlight housing, this way seems to be less scary to me :)

I will give this trick a go first when my DDE arrives at my doors.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:cool:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i used a heat gun cause i don't trust the oven, and honestly, i didnt even use the heat gun a lot. i noticed that once i heated it up a little in one particular part, i was able to pry the whole thing off little by little without using the heat gun again

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
You used a heat gun to open them with? and hardly used teh heat gun at that?.........

I baked mine and it was still a carefull process pulling it off all of the silicone.....

Also, I am confused about this comment
I used a heat gun cause i don't trust the oven [/b]
Did you think the oven was going to take off with your headlights? lol...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
It's all a mindgame of putting your $$$$ housings in an oven. However, you gotta figure the backside of those housings get a good of deal of heat exposure from the engine bay all the time the car is running.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
exactly what davecoyne said, i have a fear of putting headlights in the oven cause i think the lense will melt or the wires will melt. its all in my mind. but yeah, i hardly used the heat gun, for some reason it was relatively easy to pry mine apart. like the silicone was not hard to begin with. on my previous car, it was hell to get my headlights apart, even with the heat gun.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let see what happen this weekend :D

"Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees farenheit (176ºC). While the oven is pre-heating, wrap one housing completely in aluminum foil. Once pre-heated, place one (1) headlight housing on baking sheet, put in oven and bake for up to six (6) minutes."

Ummm will be my first baked headlamp :D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
SERIOSULY> wrap them in Alluminum foil too. JUST IN CASE. if any sides are touching the oven. It will melt the plastic. Like if a corner of the headlights touched the side of the insdie of the oven while baking. It can melt the plastic. A few members had that problem. I wrapped mine head to toe in Alluminum foil to add something between the housing and the inside of the oven. just incase smoething was touching I didnt' realize was.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Just a question for baking it.

How hot is it when the headlight is removed from the oven? I guess it would be hot enough to have protective gloves just in case, right?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just a question for baking it.

How hot is it when the headlight is removed from the oven? I guess it would be hot enough to have protective gloves just in case, right?
[/b]
Might want to use some oven mits maybe. I had on some Mechanics gloves when I did mine. Just so the silicone crap wouldn't get on me lol

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Thanks.

Just another question. how about the re-sealing of it? Do most of you use the old sealer with reheating it? or putting fresh sealer on before putting it back?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Okay, I'll answer a few here. First thing, check your oven size. One member reported his oven was too small to hold the light housing.

I used oven mitts; however, it wasn't really necessary probably.

Most members put in new silicone. I did not only because I had already had a set of painted bezels to put into the housings. The silicone never got cold. However, I did buy a tube of silicone to plug up a few holes where the sealant looked weak.

·
Registered
703 Posts
1) Baking is preferred over heat gun. Why? Oven heats the housing evenly. Heat gun is more intense in one area so you can risk melting your housing. If you bake, be sure to remove all bulbs. Like someone other member said- PREHEAT oven to 350 (I did mine at 325), and let it bake for like 7 min. CAREFULLY pry it apart with a flat blade.

I just set my headlights on a towel in my oven while it baked. And no, it doesnt catch on fire or charred- its not hot enough in the oven.

2) The best seal to use is what they are sealed with from the factory. Silicone isnt firm enough when dry and does not last. You can buy Nissan OEM butyl headlight sealant from the dealer.

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...products_id=766

When you put back together your headlight, reseal the housing where it was befor, push it back together. Throw it back in the oven for like 5 minutes. Pull it back out an put some more pressure on it to ensure a good seal. Reclip the housing and let it cool. Heating it back up with fresh new sealant softens the sealent up so you can form it real good in its place.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts