Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a set of LED tail lights, but are they plug and play for the lower line? i ask, because that is not the case for the VW I just got out of, they had to be programmed at the body computer.
Anyone swap these?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
wut?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The highest trim models get LED tail lights. Are those tail lights backwards compatible to the lower trim lines?

·
Registered
921 Posts
If the VW you speak of uses the taillights as blinkers, thats why it would need to be programmed, because the LED's use less current than bulbs and the car would show a bad bulb warning or blink quickly if you were to simply switch to LED with no modifications.

Our 6 uses bulbs for the turn signals on all trim levels.

The wiring diagram shows a 3 pin plug for each brake/taillight. The diagram shows both 26.9W bulb and #LED in the same spot with the same connector.

Left:
Black = GND
Red/White = Taillight
Red/Orange = Brake

Right:
Black = GND
Red/Orange = Taillight
Red/Green = Brake

Hope that helps...
~Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (michaelsteinbach @ Jan 15 2010, 12:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1629909
If the VW you speak of uses the taillights as blinkers, thats why it would need to be programmed, because the LED's use less current than bulbs and the car would show a bad bulb warning or blink quickly if you were to simply switch to LED with no modifications.

Our 6 uses bulbs for the turn signals on all trim levels.

The wiring diagram shows a 3 pin plug for each brake/taillight. The diagram shows both 26.9W bulb and #LED in the same spot with the same connector.

Left:
Black = GND
Red/White = Taillight
Red/Orange = Brake

Right:
Black = GND
Red/Orange = Taillight
Red/Green = Brake

Hope that helps...
~Mike[/b]
Nope, I think the vw issue was more (but includes that). They had a thing called cold diagnostics that would actually fry LED's over time unless you programmed the computer to tell it that LED's were connected. VW's, from my experience tend to be the most complicated cars for there price bracket that I have ever come across. Just wondering if anyone had made the swap problem / issue free here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts