Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to poke around...not much luck. Who has changed the stock HID bulbs? The coating on the lens of the head lamp assembly makes them so dim. I don't want like 8000k...I need usable light.

So who has been the guinea pig?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey whats up, I used to sell HID kits in the summer, and still have access to some. If i am getting you right, you have an HID system from the factory D2S? and you want to just change the bulbs?

If so, I have bulbs available, from any temp. Also its not at that atrocius price of 149.99 plus shipping. I also live in Troy, MI. Let me know if you need something

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey whats up, I used to sell HID kits in the summer, and still have access to some. If i am getting you right, you have an HID system from the factory D2S? and you want to just change the bulbs?

If so, I have bulbs available, from any temp. Also its not at that atrocius price of 149.99 plus shipping. I also live in Troy, MI. Let me know if you need something
[/b]
I was under the impression that only registered vendors were allowed to try and sell their wares on here. That's why they pay

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I replace mine with the XTec 6000K bulb from RPM, very happy with the colour but does loose a bit of penetration comparing to stock, but overall is better balance between colour and brightness.

Here is the pics on my car but bear in mind the colour on this pic edged toward a bit blueish to reallife.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I replace mine with the XTec 6000K bulb from RPM, very happy with the colour but does loose a bit of penetration comparing to stock, but overall is better balance between colour and brightness.

Here is the pics on my car but bear in mind the colour on this pic edged toward a bit blueish to reallife.

[/b]
You car looks great. THe halos are awesome

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I tried to poke around...not much luck. Who has changed the stock HID bulbs? The coating on the lens of the head lamp assembly makes them so dim. I don't want like 8000k...I need usable light.

[/b]
the most usable light from the stock bulb... 4100-4300K..... so changing them wont increase much output... it will decrease output if you increase the K temp of your bulb... if you want better output, better mod ur bosch ballast to 50W instead of 35W

·
Registered
359 Posts
how do you mod the ballast? the stock HID on 06 6s GS is so dim compare to say the one on a BMW or mercedes.....

wow those xtec replacement bulb cost a pretty penny...

they claim a 10-15% increase in light output... is that noticeable?

·
Registered
337 Posts

[/b]
What kind of bulbs do you have in your fogs, I'm looking to match my heads and fogs and yours seem to match pretty damn good.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The fog is with a 6000K HID kit ( not Extec ). The actually colour is a little bluer than the 6000K Extec bulb due to no projector I think, but nevertheless very close.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The fog is with a 6000K HID kit ( not Extec ). The actually colour is a little bluer than the 6000K Extec bulb due to no projector I think, but nevertheless very close.
[/b]
Would you disclose the brand kit , or you keep it hush hush ?
Earlier you mentioned :

So in real life they are less blue than this picture , but more blue than the Xtec 6000K , correct ?

Your fogs on your '06 , are they H3 as on the '03-'05 , if so ; that means I could resolve my problem with finding a matching temp./color signature for my fogs with my(future) HID kit by adding one more HID kit for the fogs . What kind of deal you struck with your kit ? , 'cause $700 for two kits is getting a bit too expensive ... but if I can't find matching bulbs then I will surely do the same as you for I can't live with a mis-matched headlight housing .... OMG and I wan't to get lower fogs too

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

[/b]
PanasonicGuy. As t_mo_t said, you won't be gaining anything by changing your stock HID bulbs. The stock bulbs are 4100K or 4300K and have the brightest output from all HID bulbs out there. Any other bulb will give you less light, guaranteed. Also, by going to 5000K and above, you'll be looking at an aftermarket bulb and now you're not only getting less light, but the quality and lifetime of the bulbs are also less.

To mod the AL ballast to 50W or beyond, you need to have done some dabbling with electronics, soldering, etc, in the past. There's a write-up on HIDPlanet.com on how to do the mod. Not something your everyday Joe should get into, IMO.

Another option would be to change the projectors, or at least just the projector lense, to get rid of that milky DOT lense. Again, you're looking at significant amounts of work. You'll need to bake open the headlight housing, remove the projectors, etc. Not something that's done that easily. Also, if you go this route, you'll be the first 6-owner to do so, so you'd be the guinea pig for sure.

Either way you look at things, your current stock setup is probably the best.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Would you disclose the brand kit , or you keep it hush hush ?
Earlier you mentioned :

So in real life they are less blue than this picture , but more blue than the Xtec 6000K , correct ?

Your fogs on your '06 , are they H3 as on the '03-'05 , if so ; that means I could resolve my problem with finding a matching temp./color signature for my fogs with my(future) HID kit by adding one more HID kit for the fogs . What kind of deal you struck with your kit ? , 'cause $700 for two kits is getting a bit too expensive ... but if I can't find matching bulbs then I will surely do the same as you for I can't live with a mis-matched headlight housing .... OMG and I wan't to get lower fogs too

[/b]
Hi 6 pack,

The kit that I got is from a guy on OZMazda forum who imports this here but I think it does sell in your shore on Ebay as I just searched. The good thing about this kit is it comes with lifetime warranty on the ballast but it is only 35watts comparing to Extec's 50watts, but for the fog it should be good enough IMO.

This is the info of the kit and the Ebay seller that I found:
http://www.gt-hid.com/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-CONVERS...0QQcmdZViewItem

That is correct in what you said regards to the blueness of the lights. The pics overall shows a bit on the blue side compares to reallife, the fog is slightly bluer to the HID Extec 6000K lowbeam especially if you look at it straight on, I think it is more to do with the fog is not a projector type lense, whereas the HID has a rather milky projector lense, and this somewhat filters the blueness out of it.

My fog is 06 spec which is H11 but I believe even if it is H3, should still be a plug and play and the biggest hassle is to find somewhere to mount the ballast due to the rather limit space inside the lower bumper bar. I find that I have to mount the left side's ballast inside the engine bay as there isn't much room to mount it in the area of the lower bumper.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I installed my stock HID bulbs as well, last week.

Went with 8000K Blue-tinted bulbs, looks beautiful. I also had the angel eyes, for about a month or so, but have yet to do my fogs.Seemy sig for the list of mods done.

I paid about $80 for my bulbs.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you want it to be brighter, you can always swap out the DOT fresnal projector lense with that of a ECE clear lense off an E-code bosche projector. ECE and DOT projectors are the same except for the lense and cut-off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts