Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a really good deal on a set of stock 19's. It seems that the stock tire size is 225/45/19 which seems like an unusual tire size. Are there any other recommendations for a different tire size on this wheel/rim?

2015 6 sport all stock, dont plan on modifying anything else

·
Administrator
8,463 Posts
What are the pros/cons to running the size you listed as compared to the stock size of 225/45?
Each of them are slightly larger than the stock diameter and circumference, but are within the 2-3% tolerance for the difference between them and the OEM size (maintains accuracy of your speedo and odometer, etc...)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
typically with a larger-thicker tire the ride should be a little better

so, my question is more about the benefit/s of running a different tire size?
again, are there any drawbacks?

do most people here run a different tire size when its time to change their stock tires?

·
Super Moderator
17,080 Posts
If I can steal an old Dodge adage (when the Viper was still young) "Wider is Better" :)

More rubber on the road means more grip.

·
Administrator
8,463 Posts
Wider tires do offer more grip, and taller sidewalls can offer a better ride. Both are true.

People also choose a different size than stock for other reasons... Their "favorite" tire isn't available in the OEM size, a comparable size to OEM could be less expensive, etc.

Again, as long as you stay within 2-3% of the OEM diameter and circumference, there should be no adverse effects to your car.

For my 2010, I went up from 235/45-18 to 245/45-18 on the OEM wheels, and they worked out fine, offering both a wider contact patch and a slightly wider sidewall. I'll probably do the same thing when I replace the OEM tires on my '18 in the near future...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any reports on how these alternative styles effect fuel mileage

225/45 stock
235/45 alternative 1
245/40 alternative 2

is there a general consensus of what tire size most people use once it is time to replace stock tires?

·
Super Moderator
17,080 Posts
is there any reports on how these alternative styles effect fuel mileage

225/45 stock
235/45 alternative 1
245/40 alternative 2

is there a general consensus of what tire size most people use once it is time to replace stock tires?
The type of tire/brand is going to affect your MPGs more than those small differences in diameter/wall. Those are such small differences that it's completely negligible.

The general public will replace stock tires with the same thing as stock tires - the consensus on this forum is to do what works best for you :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am just now ready to purchase tires. i wanted to let my stock tires "fall off" before purchasing new

I had the stock 17 and purchased stock 19s. My main concern will be comfort without really effecting fuel mileage too much since the wife drives it more than me

Ive read a few other posts of guys running 245/45 and they seem to love it. Much better ride.At this point i guess Im considering

245/45
235/45
245/40

ride comfort, fuel mileage at price are the 3 main considerations. i dont want the tire to stick outside of the fender wells because that just messes up the paint, but from ll the picture ive seen it doesnt look like this i an issues for any of these tires im not racing the car or trying to drift corners.

Im still considering opinion and suggestions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts