Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a little reassurance from anyone out there that is actually driving around on 225 / 55-16’s on the stock rims. Everything that I’ve read in this forum leads me to believe that 225 / 55-16’s is the maximum size without rolling the fenders. (Which I haven’t and don’t plan to do.) The link below to the, “Wheel and Tire Fitment Guide” article was helpful but used the 225 / 50-16 tire size in a lot of it’s examples on non-stock rims.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...&id=21&Itemid=0
All I know is that the last time I rotated the tires there didn’t seem to be a lot of room between my stock 205 / 60 –16’s and the A-Arm. If I am going to shell out $100 a tire I’d like to fit as much rubber under the wheel well as possible. According to Tire Rack.com my stock Michelin’s are 8.3” in total width. While most 225’s seem to be in the 9.2” range. 215’s aren’t an option because I don’t want the speedo that far off from the –10mm size (diameter) difference. A little help from anyone out there that’s already tried this setup would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
!!! my time to shine! im probably one of like two people that have 225/55/16s on stockies.

first things first, 225/55 is not the maximum size without fender rolling...its the maximum size for the 16x7" stockies. on 16x8s, if you're not dropped you can fit a 235/50/16 without rolling (its .2 inches shorter than stock tire sidewall) but probably nothing larger than that. but whatever, you dont need speculation: 225/55/16 is the largest you can do on the stocks. its .1 inch taller.

back to the tires...i must say im very very close to the A arm. i dont have a pic of it of course, but i'll see if i can get one for you on thursday since i work all day on wednesday. im using BFGoodrich G-Force Sports which, quite frankly, have surprised the hell out of me. excellent ride (thanks to the tall sidewall), awesome grip, a comfortable amount of road noise, predictable at the limits and you can autocross the hell out of them. i specifically chose this size because it looked stock...i planned on having headers by now and having a whole "its just stock" exterior look.

i think the best thing about the tire in this size is the load value at 95. i've very aggressively driven 135 miles, did 4 runs on a road course, and very aggressively drove 135 miles back without any heat soak. check these out if you haven't already. they get my full recommendation.

i do have MUCH larger pics of these if you want, but as you can see, there's no chance of rubbing at all, except on the inside with the A Arm where its rather close. btw, all tire size calculations were used with miata tire calculator. dont know if its completely accurate or not.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Business!
That's more of a reply then I'd hoped for! I really appreciate the effort spent. Not to be greedy but if you've got bigger pic's I'd like to see 'em.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Actually, you can go 215s. 215/55R16 is just about the same size (overall diameter) as the 205/60R16.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Business
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing