Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would have bought a BMW sedan but for the fact that i) they hold that dang svce manual so close to their collective chest (so you HAVE TO) go to BMW for other than routine svce; ii) stupid, stupid lack of a crankcase dipstick;
Just when I thought that the service manual is lacking in information! And here I am, complaining about the dipstick which they made it harder for me to check!

This makes me thankful that I don't have the money to buy a BMW.

·
Registered
73 Posts
After driving a rental 2.5T 2018 GT It's definitely a lot more faster then the N/A. That thing seriously has some fast passing power from what I saw.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've heard the comment at Mazda3Revolution.com that comparing a Mazda6 T to a Mazda3 2.5 - the latter with an OVT tune (with some throttle mapping added - "25%" was mentioned) gives the 6T a run for the money in the "fun-to-drive" sense. Now that car (the Mazda3) is decidedly lighter - but what they were saying is that the 6T has bottom-end-focused power (torque) delivery which was less dramatic in how it "came-in" - and that the tuned Mazda3 drivers were not missing-out a lot. Now with our own TalonTsi90 Mazda6club member with his throttle-controller equipped Mazda3 - maybe he can comment on this?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thx. Like I said though - T is definitely faster but a tuned, throttle enhanced 2.5 (in at least a 3 - certainly a lighter car by 250# ?) apparently makes at least a similarly-fun-to-drive car... That's what one guy's opinion is, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Talon Tsi90 - I would be interested in hearing whether, having driven the 2.5T for a month - certainly a decently-long period of time to get a good sense of what the car is like- anyways, I would be interested in knowing whether for your next car you would give up on the 6MT - and instead, go for a turbo-car with at least a 6AT - like the Mazda6 T... or whether you would continue with a 6MT? The plus-side for the 2.5T with automatic - is continuous acceleration, not interrupted by shifting gears. But certainly less driving involvement.

When it comes right down to it - for me - if I want a car that has a lot of power / acceleration - I think I would go for an automatic... a conventional automatic. I find when I drive my 6MT - it is more of an involvement with the car, the smoothness of the drive, etc... I certainly do like that. I just generally, in the city, don't really accelerate- or attempt to accelerate quickly with my 6MT. But I don't hold up traffic. My 6MT really comes into its own at suburban speeds, on curvy undulating roads. However, in the city I often worry about the unexpected (to the driver behind me) pause in my acceleration as I shift gears... well, especially from 1st to 2nd. Manual transmissions are so, so rare -- that the driver behind you often gets p*ssed with you as you start-off at a decent rate of acceleration... then you pause.

Opinions... Others?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Ill never not own a manual car. I drove the T in manual mode all the time unless i was like eating an ice cream cone or steadying something in the passenger seat. Ive never seen anyone get mad over the slight pause, even when it bounces off of 2nd instead of going into gear.

·
Registered
994 Posts
For me, that pause in shifting gear from 1st to 2nd, often has me starting in 2nd gear (when I can... i.e. on a down-gradient, and obviously then I start at a lesser acc. rate than if it were in 1st gear). I barely raise the revs above idle, regardless of starting in 2nd vs.1st (in deference to clutch slippage/wear). Yes, I do concern myself about clutch slippage/wear, despite sometimes using this start-in-2nd method...

I do this 'cuz I figure better the driver behind get used-to my acc. rate from the start of moving-off than encountering that unexpected no-acceleration pause AFTER moving off. Of course when doing this start-in-2nd method, the start-off acc. is slower, but once the clutch pedal is up the rate of acc. is quick and never holds up the driver behind.

Due to how the car is geared, and also due to how far I get in frt of the driver behind using this method, the 2nd to 3rd shift never causes this concern for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For me, that pause in shifting gear from 1st to 2nd, often has me starting in 2nd gear (when I can... i.e. on a down-gradient, and obviously then I start at a lesser acc. rate than if it were in 1st gear). I barely raise the revs above idle, regardless of starting in 2nd vs.1st (in deference to clutch slippage/wear). Yes, I do concern myself about clutch slippage/wear, despite sometimes using this start-in-2nd method...

I do this 'cuz I figure better the driver behind get used-to my acc. rate from the start of moving-off than encountering that unexpected no-acceleration pause AFTER moving off. Of course when doing this start-in-2nd method, the start-off acc. is slower, but once the clutch pedal is up the rate of acc. is quick and never holds up the driver behind.

Due to how the car is geared, and also due to how far I get in frt of the driver behind using this method, the 2nd to 3rd shift never causes this concern for me.
I'm sorry, but if there's a notable "no-acceleration" during your shifting process as you keep mentioning...I strongly suggest your manual driving skills need a good 're-calibrating'....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ah, NO.

If you can accelerate when the clutch is pushed-in (during the time it takes to shift from one gear, with a slight pause in neutral, then into the next gear... at non-speedshifting pace) then you are defying the laws of physics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bro then if you are looking at hondas after having a better car like Mazda then your are not a big Mazda enthusiast , the 2.5T will give you enough power and it may not be as the Honda but you also have to consider the better premium quality interiors which are no match with plastics on Honda (Just watch reviews on youtube and everyone says that) and the pleasure of driving it. you can also change the stock wheels to add some power to your car and there you go

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah, NO.

If you can accelerate when the clutch is pushed-in (during the time it takes to shift from one gear, with a slight pause in neutral, then into the next gear... at non-speedshifting pace) then you are defying the laws of physics.
mmmYeahhhh...no one is talking about ACCELERATION. The DECELERATION you allegedly experience is comically overstated. Unless you drive like a total Mildred, no one behind you is even remotely aware that your vehicle is decelerating in the .75 seconds it take to shift from 1st to 2nd gears....

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The 1-2 ratio in these cars is a bit... odd. And, until you get used to it, can and does make for some interesting dynamics.

It's the one thing I consider a "bug"; everything else is as expected it to be (e.g. power level, fuel economy, etc) -- but that one, well, yeah, it really does annoy me.

On the other hand after 200k miles under the tires, it doesn't annoy me much these days, and even now there are a few times that shift isn't real smooth.

Oh well. One annoyance out of what has otherwise been and remains one of the most-pleasant and cost-effective vehicles I've ever had.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts