Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery last week of my red M6s with sport package, leather, roof, stock radio and 5 speed. Naturally, I drove it directly to my buddy Kevin at Sound Advice for the requisite upgrades. A pretty brave move, since I had about 10 miles experience driving ANY manual transmission car.

I chugged, stalled, and peeled out, avoiding any major catastrophes.

Here's what's in:

1. JL 500/1 amp for the sub.

2. JL 300/4 for the fronts.

3. Boston Acoustic 6.5 Pro's for the fronts.

4. Boston Acoustic sub 2x10 in Boston box with passive radiators.

5. The crappy stock head unit!

Needless to say, it is loud beyond belief. The original thought was to bi-amp the fronts, but there was a wiring problem, so we bridged the fronts (150 watts a piece!)

Due to the stock HU, there is a slightly brittle, strained sound in the mid-highs, which I can't tune out with the stock controls. Kind of like being constipated for a week, then pushing a square turd.

My gut tells me that the HU must go, and not to waste any money on an equalizer. I keep staring at the covered bin on the top of the dash, wondering if a HU could be angled into and through the bin, which is too small to swallow the entire radio as it presently exists.

Anyone out there install a new HU? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

MItch

:sarc

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Upgraded my stereo!

Other than that do you like the Bostons?

A Tweeter finally opened up here (Only the second Eclipse dealer in town) and I've heard they can do full customization for most anything, so I'm thinking about an Eclipse head unit with some Boston Acoustics in the doors and trunk.

The only person to successfully replace the head unit in the Mazda, with a non-Mazda head unit, was LAAutoShow here, but he replaced his with one of those double DIN with video screen and lost the HVAC controls and had to move them to the map box (That little area you said you don't want to lose, but want to slip the HU through); so none of us know if you can replace it with a standard sized head unit and still keep HVAC where they are at.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Upgraded my stereo!

Have the same Boston fronts in both of my P5's (Mazda Mania!). Crystal clear, nice sheen, very musical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts