Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, i've always considered the Megan Racing springs on stock shocks as a temporary option until the funds become available for the KW's. As i was browsing Ebay i found one set going for $20 and the second set going for $40, however the auction didn't list them as Megan Racing. So before i could email the seller to find out what brand they were the $20 auction ended with no bidders. He wrote me back and said they were in fact Megan Racing springs for the 03-06 Mazda6 V6, 335lb front, 250lb rear, 2" lowering front/back. I immediately bought the second set before someone else snatched them up for the unbelievably low "buy it now" price of $45 + shipping. Most sellers sell them for $100 - $110 + shipping.

To put these springs in relative terms i'll use the popular Auto Exe and Tein S-tech's as benchmarks since they seem to be the two most used on the MPS. (EDIT: UPDATED!)

Auto Exe:
front = 33.09% stiffer than stock
rear = 9.76% stiffer than stock
fr/rr bias: 1.64:1 (vs 1.36:1 stock)
approximate drop: 1.57"fr 0.79"rr
type: linear
COO:Japan
MSRP: $430USD

Megan Racing:
front = 20.5% stiffer than stock
rear = 21.95% stiffer than stock
fr/rr bias: 1.34:1 (vs 1.36:1 stock)
approximate drop: 2" fr/rr
type: linear
COO:USA/Made in China
MSRP: $169USD

Tein S-Tech:
front = 2.88% SOFTER than stock
rear = 2.44% SOFTER than stock
fr/rr bias: 1.35:1 (vs 1.36:1 stock)
approximate drop: 2.13"fr 1.61"rr
type: progressive
COO:Japan
MSRP: $220USD

Overall Megan Racing quality is pretty good on their suspension components and are used often in the 240 drift circles. Their coilovers are built in the same factory as Apex i've heard. Can't vouch for exhaust components but most of the Made in China stuff is about the same. At least they post spring rates unlike, Intrax, B+G, Eibach, H&R, Sprint, Drop-Zone, Ractive, Tenzo-R, Maxspeed, etc... which has always made me uneasy.

So the way i see it, as a temporary solution until the full coilovers get here, they are definately a better solution than the Tein's which are softer than stock, but a bit too low compared to the Auto Exe. I believe the auto exe are linear as well, with the Megan's being progressive like the Tein's. But when it comes down to it, $400 for the Auto Exe, vs $45 for the Megan's, it was no contest.

worst case scenario, i don't like them, go back to stock and sell them to a V6 member. best case scenario i like them, and replace my shocks with koni's when the stockers die next season. In terms of risk vs reward, i couldn't pass it up. Springs should be here next week so i will have them on the following weekend. I will post pics with new springs and recently installed RX-8 wheels. Wish me luck! I'm going to eat some guinea pig food now...mmm pellets. tasty. :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I was under the impression that the stock MS6 springs were 280/185, what numbers are you using? I think you are doing your math backwards, you divide the new spring rate by stock spring rates to find out how much stiffer or less stiff it is.

Those megan springs are +19.6% / +35.1% stiffer than the stock MS6 rates I am assuming.

Autoexe= +32% / +22%

S.Tech = -2% / +9%

Check my math in case I made a mistake.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that the stock MS6 springs were 280/185, what numbers are you using? I think you are doing your math backwards, you divide the new spring rate by stock spring rates to find out how much stiffer or less stiff it is.

Those megan springs are +19.6% / +35.1% stiffer than the stock MS6 rates I am assuming.

Autoexe= +32% / +22%

S.Tech = -2% / +9%

Check my math in case I made a mistake.
[/b]
I found 278/205 when i searched it but whatever it is, it's a relative comparison anyway.

however you're right. I found the mistake in my spreadsheet. It was supposed to divide by the OE spring rate but i accidentally divided it by the aftermarket spring rate which means i gave the margin of improvement not percentage over stock. Thanks for catching that ShaDrag. I will edit original post.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are these techinically a "safe" way to lower your car? What is the overall verdict???
[/b]
no spring with a 2" drop will be safe for stock shocks. Match these up with a shortened shock body and you'll be okay.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quick update: springs arrived at post office yesterday, will pick up tonight and take some pics of fit and finish quality with some external measurements for anyone who is curious. May have to wait till this weekend to install but if i get the chance i'll see if i can book a night at my buddy's place during the week. (I live in a condo so no garage or spring compressor.)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright folks, here's the updated post with pics. Interesting to note that Megan Racing springs for the V6 M6 are LINEAR not progressive. Oh joy!

Interesting to note the use of the words "... Japan Steel Made" leading the ESL consumer to think these may possibly be Made In Japan when in fact it is just the steel stock that is sourced from Japan, those crazy marketers. :nono:

Here we see the standard attempt at free advertising through the consumer. NOTE:these will NOT be appearing on my vehicle. :nono:

Individually boxed and bubble wrapped coils. (sounds like a mattress commercial) ;)

Our first glimpse at the linear rate coil. This is one of the rears.

Logo wasn't exactly wrapped around the coil properly but they did their best i suppose

Since the bubble wrap did not cover the top or bottom of the spring, one of the rears had a scuff mark on the paint.

All four springs exhibited a bare spot in the coating where they were hung while being sprayed. please note the powder coating is a bit thin and some light spots are apparent after the baking process.

The rear springs measured 12" exactly

Front springs measured 13" exactly

Overall impression of build quality:
I was a bit dissapointed at the colour, it is a bit of a pale orange. I was expecting something more tangerine. The photos are a bit deceiving. Also disapointed with the light powder coating however I was extremely please to find out that the springs were in fact linear rate and not progressive as previously thought. This might make the Megan Racing springs the best bang for the buck right now (found em on Ebay for $45) and the most reasonable solution for the MPS. With stiffer rates than the Auto Exe @ 1/4 the price and similar lowering to the S-Techs, matched with Koni's these springs, just might be the hot setup for the average owner.

Please note it is popular opinion that a 2" drop will not leave much suspension travel for aggressive track or Auto-X use but may be acceptable for conservative street use when paired with a shortened aftermarket shock body.

Please stay tuned for the results of the install as i will post pics of the drop and do some performance measuring of before and after lateral g-forces (with my new Vector FX-1) of the stock springs vs the megans. If i can find a spot to run a timed slalom i will but this is a bit unlikely.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Overall impression of build quality:
I was a bit dissapointed at the colour, it is a bit of a pale orange. I was expecting something more tangerine. The photos are a bit deceiving. Also disapointed with the light powder coating however I was extremely please to find out that the springs were in fact linear rate and not progressive as previously thought. This might make the Megan Racing springs the best bang for the buck right now (found em on Ebay for $45) and the most reasonable solution for the MPS. With stiffer rates than the Auto Exe @ 1/4 the price and similar lowering to the S-Techs, matched with Koni's these springs, just might be the hot setup for the average owner.

Please note it is popular opinion that a 2" drop will not leave much suspension travel for aggressive track or Auto-X use but may be acceptable for conservative street use when paired with a shortened aftermarket shock body.

Please stay tuned for the results of the install as i will post pics of the drop and do some performance measuring of before and after lateral g-forces (with my new Vector FX-1) of the stock springs vs the megans. If i can find a spot to run a timed slalom i will but this is a bit unlikely.
[/b]
:drool: Looking forward to your findings... posts when ready...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have my finger on the 'Order' button....any updates?

·
Registered
68 Posts
FYI: for all those looking at springs stay away from the Tein S-Techs. These are not meant to be driven agressively they are strictly for looks hence the S=Show. Instead look at the H-Techs(not sure if they are available for our cars), these are Tein's performance spring H=Handling.

Also the S-Tech have been known to blowout stock struts on other makes of cars.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
So will you be mating these with Koni struts at this time, or is that a future plan?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, almost too good. From what you say about the quality of the springs, I remember reading something a few months ago, where tien had a problem with fake s-tech springs being sold on ebay, and some of the stuff you mentiond, reminds me of the things that tein said to look out for. I would look for the site, but at work at the moment. When I get the chance, I'll see if I can find tien statement.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So will you be mating these with Koni struts at this time, or is that a future plan?
[/b]
No, i do not have plans for koni's right now. originally when i thought these were progressive rate this was meant to just be an inexpensive experiment. If they weren't too crappy, i'll keep em on through the winter and get the kw's in the spring when i have more dough. If i didn't like em i'd just take em off sell em to a V6 guy who could appreciate them more, and ride on stocks for the winter. But now that i know they are linear if they're decent, i'll only need to add koni's in the spring.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what exactly is the difference between linear and progressive?
[/b]
Linear is when a spring has a consistent rate thruougout it's compression. linear rate springs are predictable and ideal for motor sport scenarios. These types of springs are identified by their evenly spaced coils and consistent diameter (both determine the rate of the spring).

Progressive rate springs are wound in a way that they start off soft, in the attempt to make unspirited driving more tolerable, and then progressively get stiffer as they are compressed, supposedly when spirited driving occurs. But as we all know this dynamic should ideally be controlled by a tuned shock with a digressive compression and rebound curve and not the spring. The springs job is to return the shock to it's default position, not soften the ride. That's why the shock is called a shock absorber and the spring is called a spring. progressive rate springs can be identified by unevenly spaced coils and varying coil diameters. Aother type of progressive rate is a dual rate spring that abruptly moves from one rate to a higher one as soon as the compression allows for it. similar to a helper spring setup on a threaded body coilover. these can be identified by two distinctly different coil spacings.

rule of thumb, the larger the coil diamter the softer the rate, and the more coils, the softer the rate. This way you can visually identify the softer and stiffer sections of a progressive rate spring.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a good deal, almost too good. From what you say about the quality of the springs, I remember reading something a few months ago, where tien had a problem with fake s-tech springs being sold on ebay, and some of the stuff you mentiond, reminds me of the things that tein said to look out for. I would look for the site, but at work at the moment. When I get the chance, I'll see if I can find tien statement.
[/b]
ya, people were knocking off Tein springs and chopping them for like half price. HK guys around here are very brand sensitive and have to have JDM stuff on their ride so people will knock off JDM brands, but Megan is a knock off company. I don't think they actually do any R&D and they only MSRP for $165. At that price point, no one would knock them off, cause you'd only be able to sell them for like $50. When i contacted the guy about why the price was so low, he said his web guy made a mistake but he couldn't withdraw the auction so he had to live with it. lesson learned. The average price for these is about $105USD plus shipping on ebay or about 50% less than Teins S-Techs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Actually Megan Racing isnt a knock off company. They are actually quite smart. They work with companies overseas that manufacture parts for various companies such as HKS, Apexi, etc. Then they have that same company produce the same product for them that they did for someone else. So basically they let someone else do the R&D and the company that manufactures it just sells them the right to the design and manufactures it for Megan Racing too. That is why Apexi/Megan Racing coilovers for a lot of applications are identical except for the colors of the parts.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually Megan Racing isnt a knock off company. They are actually quite smart. They work with companies overseas that manufacture parts for various companies such as HKS, Apexi, etc. Then they have that same company produce the same product for them that they did for someone else. So basically they let someone else do the R&D and the company that manufactures it just sells them the right to the design and manufactures it for Megan Racing too. That is why Apexi/Megan Racing coilovers for a lot of applications are identical except for the colors of the parts.
[/b]
that's exactly what knock off means. same design, different company. I could sell greddy blow-off valves under a different name if i wanted to cause i know what factory they are coming from. That would be called knocking off someone else's design.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Actually Megan Racing isnt a knock off company. They are actually quite smart. They work with companies overseas that manufacture parts for various companies such as HKS, Apexi, etc. Then they have that same company produce the same product for them that they did for someone else. So basically they let someone else do the R&D and the company that manufactures it just sells them the right to the design and manufactures it for Megan Racing too. That is why Apexi/Megan Racing coilovers for a lot of applications are identical except for the colors of the parts. [/b]
i'll wager the companies that put the money up for the r&d have other words for Megan than "smart" :swearin:

1 - 20 of 147 Posts