Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new Subaru Legacy is set to debut in Japan this summer. Officially to be released May 23, several spy pics have been floating around. Along with a freshened look, the new Legacy will boast upgraded interior materials, and a new steering rack and suspension designed to lessen understeer and improve the sharpness of its handling. Rumor has it that engine choices will include an improved version of the H-6 found in the Legacy Outback with output around 250 hp. The 2.0 liter twin turbo is expected to be retired in favor of a single turbo unit. Due to be released in the US either this fall or next spring, the new Legacy is expected to offer a version of the 2.5 liter turbo engine that debuts with the Impreza STi this summer, with output in the 260-270 hp range.

Personally I'm very excited about this car. If it comes in the expected turbo version, it may displace the 6 at the top of my short list.

Now to the pictures!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Reading Topic: Updated Subaru Legacy

Great Info & Pics Kenoka !!!

The Legacy which is known as the Subaru Liberty In Australia, is very popular here and this New Model Looks Fantastic !!!

I Personally like the look of the wagon better than the sedan...

Headlights look like a more Mature version of the Imprezza's, better integrated into the shape of the car...

Interior looks similar to the current version though..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Although the interior may look similar, it should be much better in the flesh. You can see hints of this in the more tactile looking controls in the center console. They benchmarked Audi and BMW for interior quality and it was one of their prime goals to make an interior that rivaled those marques for quality and feel. Also, Mackintosh was brought in to put in a signature audio unit again, so audio quality should be top notch as well.

·
Registered
736 Posts

I like the curved out dip on the bottom of each headlight. It gives the car a much more aggressive look. I personally like the sedan myself and I can't wait for it to arrive in America. My aunt has a Legacy and the thing rolls up with a presence. Gotta love that. ;)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It's quite nice but
- Grille look like a fishmouth :) It does look quite good but it looks like something is sucking stuff in there... :)
- Estate looks strange as there are no visible C-pillar.

But I like it. Looks far better then a Impreza.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

"Delightfully impressed"... Well said. I'd be very curious to see the handling benchmarks - because, after all, that's what it's all about. :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Fixed the picture links. And now, the latest update:

Regarding handling, the Legacy is well regarded in Japan as a very good handler, at least in B4 trim. The new Legacy has a revised suspension setup and steering rack that is supposed to reduce understeer at the limit. The new 5 speed sportshift auto is linked to the VTD (variable torque distribution) system, which will be setup for a base torque distribution of 45 front: 55 rear. All in all, it should be a very capable handler, especially since they have aimed to reduce weight. The current Legacy weighs about 3300 lbs. Subaru will try to bring that down a couple of hundred pounds, in spite of the increased size.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Updated Subaru Legacy'

Originally posted by kenoka

The current Legacy weighs about 3300 lbs.  Subaru will try to bring that down a couple of hundred pounds, in spite of the increased size.[/b]
Niiiiice. Especially for AWD.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I just listened to a very interesting webcast from Subaru. They talked about their lowered profits (lowest in 6 years) as a result of unusually high R&D levels as their traditional market (AWD crossover vehicles) gets encroached upon. The Outback pioneered the whole crossover segment, but now everyone seems to be jumping on that bandwagon. So now Subaru has had to reexamine their core competencies and look at who they want to be. This seems very similar to the soul searching that Nissan and Mazda have done recently. So in conclusion, they are sticking with the AWD that has been a strength and brand draw for them since 1994, but starting to tout the performance benefits (as opposed to safety benefits) of AWD. They will be leveraging the success of the WRX to add turbo versions to their entire lineup. The turbo Forester and Baja will receive a 210hp/235lbft version of the 2.5 liter turbo engine from the Impreza STi. There was no talk of a new Legacy, but they did mention the new Legacy would be launched in May or June in Japan, Europe, and Australia, and next spring in the US. There was some suspicious chuckling in the background as he mentioned the US launch date, as if there is a surprise in store for us.

They also talked about the benefits of the Subaru drivetrain. The boxer engine sits very low in the bay, and is naturally balanced. Although the engine itself is more expensive (twice as many heads, camshafts, etc.) there are many benefits which balance the additional costs if you're building an AWD car. The transfer case is tiny, and the overall AWD system is balanced, which provides a very low yaw moment of inertia.

In short, I'm even more sold than I was before.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just wait. Subaru has been a performance brand everywhere but here for years.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Hmmm... Mazda 6 or Subaru Legacy.. Mazda 6 or Subaru Legacy... *AHHHHH* I can't think anymore. :(

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I don't understand what's so likeable about this Subaru. It's ugly. Not utterly, but boring and plain. The front is definitely bad looking.

I would take the 6 any day. Well...I did, didn't I? :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Updated Subaru Legacy

Well Steve, if the turbo Legacy comes with 260 hp and AWD, it will take the 6 any day too. ;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Also, opinions vary, but the response to the styling of the new Legacy has been overwhelmingly positive. I think the grill is a little too large, but otherwise I think it looks both aggressive and classy. I would still say the 6 has superior styling overall, but the Legacy is right up there. Plus Subie's AWD drivetrain really is tremendous.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I'll take boring and plain over gaudy or crappy any day.

What's more important to me is how the car drives. And while standards and preferences may vary, I think that's what makes the sale to the public as well.

·
Registered
269 Posts

I like it. I will definitely have this car on my short list along with the RX8 in 2 years when the wife's car goes back. Those are the 2 best options around 30K in my book. I know the WRX is there too, but this legacy is very classy and sweet looking. It should compete well with the RX8, G35, 330i, IS300. They are all around 30K (except the 330i) and are all sporty in different ways. Te Legacy looks nice (IMHO) has AWD and what 250-280hp turbo engine... It should be tight! I can't wait to drive an RX8 and the legacy back to back.

PS. I read somewhere that Subaru said that the non turbo legacy would start at $24500.
So figure around $30000 for the turbo I would guess.

Jon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts