Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well i took the dive and just bought a set of HKS Hipermax Coilovers for my car. Unfortunately im busy till this weekend and wont be able to do the install until Sunday. I figured i would see if anyone wanted any particular photos during the install of any suspension components or any shots of parts under the car etc while i have the car on my lift? Also if there was anything in particular that anyone wanted me to document while doing the install? Just let me know!! :)

Wow, PhotoBucket Chopped it down, i'll repost later with it actually readable, the rears, and more pics

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Yes, please do a full documentation for our comunity. Not trying to sound bossy at all, rather stating the fact that many of us have been throwing this around in our heads and it would be nice to see the process before taking the plunge.

Plus, I'm sure you will get mad props from all of us assuming it's done correctly and successfully.

Good luck!!!

EDIT: Could you snap a few shots of the brake assembly and swing-arms?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can't wait to hear what the ride quality is going to be with these things. I want to go with a coilover setup, but am deathly afraid of an intolerable ride.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright will do, ill document and take pictures during the install. I should be able to install and corner balance it Sunday assuming my schedule doesnt change, so i can give a good review of the street performance, and once i get it out to the track ill write a second review.

Ill make sure to get some pictures of the brake assembly and swing arms. Anything else?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Good deal.

Take some before/after center hub to fender measurements front and rear.
Also some bump stop measurements would be very nice! Meaning if you had to cut them down. :)

Thanks and this was one I was considering as well. Who, where and how much did you get them for?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed them today. Ill post pics and a write up mid week. The ride isnt as stiff as i had hope at the hardest setting, and the rears have a slight rattle that i have yet to be able to solve but overall the quality is second to none and the ride is very nice.

Install was a bit tricky on the rears but once i found a couple tricks on one side the other side was a breeze.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Interesting. I found them to be very firm on full stiff, which was excellent at the track. I run full soft on the street and full stiff at the track.

As for the rear noise, it's the upper spring mount, most likely. It comes with these rubber rings which are supposed to magically stay in place to eliminate the noise, but they wont. I had to buy a sheet of rubber at a hardware store and put it between the upper spring mount and the chassis to eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting. I found them to be very firm on full stiff, which was excellent at the track. I run full soft on the street and full stiff at the track.
[/b]
Just how firm is the ride when set to full soft as compared to factory? I'd consider this option but don't want to bite my tongue off on the street. I definitely value ride quality for street use.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'll be the first to say.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Just to echo Falcon's comment, I thought the HKS's were brutal at full stiff. Car control was excellent, but the shocks felt damn near solid. I ran them at full soft on the street, where they were still better damped than most other coilover kits and very controllable. An overly stiff shock on a bumpy road is simply awful for performance, and I actually bet I should've backed off on the stiffness for autocross, too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is a allen knob that you use to adjust the fronts under the hood. The rears must be adjusted on the bottom of the rear shock.

I found the noise is coming from the top of the rear left shock mount, unfortunately i wont be able to pull it apart and fix it for a week or two since i am flying out for the SCCA runoffs tommarrow night. Ill post up the write up before i leave with pics though!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I see from your myspace you run a Spec Miata??? So comparing you Sedan GT Car to your Spec isn't exactly fair :nana:...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys got it up and readable. The original was much nicer looking but atleast all the info is there. Ill be corner balancing the car when i get back in 2 weeks, if there are any more pics you would like ill be happy to take some. I realized i dont have any of the front coilovers actually installed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts