Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we are folks, hopefully for the last installment of my oil leak and other stuff....
Picked up the car today, and for those of you in the Missouri area, best group of people as far as the service dept can be located at Reliable Mazda in Springfield, MO. They have been absolutely patient and understanding of the situation and my nit pickyness reguarding the car.
As I was getting ready to turn off the interstate to go to the dealership I saw a absolutely gorgous mazdaspeed6 on the interstate heading the opposite way as me......then noticed it was mine...it was being driven by the mazdaspeed tech....as I pulled up to the dealership, for the last and final time in the vomit-comet-rental-car-from-hell and went inside. They stated the tech is out putting some miles on the car and should be back shortly, ok fine, they drove it for a total of 25 miles, came back in put it on the lift and check for oil leakage, so far so good. also had them do an oil change for me, they gave me 10% off. anyways the tech knowing that I am a mechanic myself showed me the cause of my leakage. on the engine there is a plate that holds in the rear main, well he showed me the part taken from the car, it's all one peice with a gasket that bolts to the block behind the transmission, and be believes it was leaking from there and where it bolts to the oil pan which they use that permatex gasketmaker crap. they replaced that whole part, I forgot to take a picture but it looks like a trapazoid with a hole in the middle and that is your rear main seal.

anyways, signed some paper work etc, then my friend proceded to tell the service manager the story about his ordeal with his evo and transfercase and warrenty work by mitsu...it's a nightmare with mitsu, and then the manager said "and I though mazda was bad." :wtf: evidently mazda has some warrenty guy that comes in and inspects all of the warrenty work being done, and he pretty much said that they put everything under a magnifying glass and are pretty strict when it comes to warrenty, but he also said it's ulimately up to the service manager and the warrenty guy on whether or not the work gets done and warrentied, they are replacing an engine in a rx8 with a mazdaspeed intake and exhaust under warrenty...so it's all about discresion and the mood the warrenty guy is in.

Moving on, went to hooters and ate, added another 25 or so miles on the car, they told me to bring it back after i was done and they would check it again, still good no leaks. Then he had the guys come over and vaccume the car out, he didn't wash it as it has been raining all day, but they did a good job on cleaning the inside.

anyways over all they treated me very well and fixed the problem. tommorow i'm going to look under the car to check for leaking, didn't notice anything tonight so hopefully it is fixed.. tonight i put my intake back on and put my new greddy rs bov on, and soon as it stops raining my perrin mbc is going on.

that is all.
AWDTerror

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good luck. I really want to know if this gets resolved or not. Hopefully a TSB can come out for this (or is there one already? I know theres a TSB for the radiator pipe thing, but I dunno about this one) and this issue can be resolved once and for all.

Although we should be glad we aren't driving rotaries with this oil leak :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far the problem with the oil leak has been fix

the rx8 is getting a new motor because of low compression, because evidently carbon builds up behind the apex seal if it's not run hard and ruins the seal

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
so far the problem with the oil leak has been fix

the rx8 is getting a new motor because of low compression, because evidently carbon builds up behind the apex seal if it's not run hard and ruins the seal
[/b]

The old fix for that to get by was to manual inject oil into it. Oh joy!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the new fix it to have the tech run the piss out of it to see if it will clear it up and bring compression back....sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't

·
Registered
372 Posts
The other trick with a rotary with sticking apex seals is to put some ATF in it while cranking (not too much so you don't break anything). Let the car sit for a while (ie overnight) then fire it up. You will get so much white smoke people will think you are spraying for mosquitoes. Once that clears up shut it down, change the spark plugs and you should be good to go. You can check any of the RX-7 forums and should be able to find the procedure. Don't know if it would have made it on any of the RX-8 forums yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts