Mazda 6 Forums banner

581 - 597 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
It looks very similar to what Honda calls "modern steel metallic", sort of fluidish looking gray metallic, looks pretty classy atleast in pictures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking forward to your take on how much quieter it is as well as the G-Vectoring. Also would love pictures of the interior on the GT.
Drove an AT Touring.Didn't take any pictures...steering wheel looks like the one from a CX9. Other than that, same as last year's model.

As for quietness, it seems quieter than the 2016 that I drove several weeks ago. The 2016 had a wind buffeting noise coming off of the A pillar at greater than 50mph, I didn't notice that in the 2017. Also, I recall there being more road/tire noise in the 2016.

Obviously, there were several weeks in-between drives and the road conditions were different (rain drizzle with the 2017, clear skies with the 2016), so take it with a grain of salt.

I did notice that the 2017 transmission seemed a bit rough. Not sure how to put it, but felt like the gears were grinding when coasting at low speeds...odd given that its the same transmission.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
The mirrors are different from the 2016 too. Did you notice the G-vectoring control?
The mirrors were cool, like the CX 9.

Didn't notice g vectoring...pretty sure I didn't do anything to activate it, but my understanding is that it happens so quickly that it is almost imperceptible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at the mazda dealer last weekend to test drive a 6. I didn't buy, but did end up trading my wife's 2014 Cx-5 for a new one. The salesman mentioned that the 2017 mazda 6 was due in this week.

Also interesting was that he stated that Apple CarPlay would soon be available in both the 6 and in my wife's new car via an update. I did question him on it a bit, and we was insistent that it was true.

That said, I did end up buying a different car for myself, and it does currently have CarPlay. While I haven't spent a lot of time with it.....my early take is that it's not all that.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Many dealers have 2017s in stock as of this week. Also, the Mazda USA website was updated today to include information about the 2017 models.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mazda6

The only quirk I noticed when I was using their online configurator is that the auto-dimming mirror isn't showing as available as an accessory. It's not in the standard features list either. I did find it listed under the features and accessories page, so my guess is that it's just a bug in the web site re-design.

@barrenroster, what car did you end up getting? And what are you still doing hanging out here ;-). It'll be nice as a software update, but I agree that Carplay isn't that impressive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@barrenroster, what car did you end up getting? And what are you still doing hanging out here ;-). It'll be nice as a software update, but I agree that Carplay isn't that impressive.

Well, I came to share what I heard about CarPlay since so many in this thread had been asking about it.

Frankly, I really wanted the 6. My wife is on her 4th Mazda from the same dealer, I took my daughter there a few months ago to buy her first car (Mazda3) -- and that dealer sold me the Saabs I've driven for years (they used to be a Saab dealer also). I would have gone with the 2017, but decided to take the 2016 for a drive since the car is really the same. While it was fun to drive, I didn't dig the heads-up display and I wanted a bit more power than it could give.

I specifically didn't mention what I bought because I didn't want to get into a debate about this vs. that. But since you asked, I bought a 2017 Maxima. I didn't want to go with a CVT, but every car I was considering had a compromise.

I'll keep the 6 on my short list for next time in a few years if they drop the 2.0T into it. I really do like Mazda in general; great looking cars, low maintenance, fun to drive.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Congratulations on getting the Maxima. It's a nice looking car, and seems to be a pretty popular choice to cross-shop against the 6. It's hard not to envy a 300 hp V6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a chance to test drive a fully loaded 2017 Mazda6 Grand Touring w/ Premium Package, and thought I would post my initial thoughts for what it is worth.

• Steering is excellent. Very smooth.
  • Sound insulation is very good.
  • Active Driving Display works well and is in color. The main drawback with ADD is that it is on a plastic display on the dash, but still I think I’d quickly get used to it.

I’m not sold on the new Premium Package. I like the nappa leather seats, but then again, the regular leather seats are already very good. The black leather headliner is a little bit confining. And most of the other changes are immaterial imo. In fact, after the brief test drive, I am skeptical that the feel of the i-ELOOP regenerative braking is as good as the regular mazda6 braking system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone notice on mazdausa that the 17's have an estimated 35 MPG HWY? That's 5 less than the 16's :surprise:

Also, when does everyone think we may start hearing/seeing some more information on the 2018 Mazda6? I noticed a few things several pages ago, however, with the 17's just announced, would be safe to say not much until at least the beginning of next year?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Anyone notice on mazdausa that the 17's have an estimated 35 MPG HWY? That's 5 less than the 16's :surprise:

Also, when does everyone think we may start hearing/seeing some more information on the 2018 Mazda6? I noticed a few things several pages ago, however, with the 17's just announced, would be safe to say not much until at least the beginning of next year?
With no mechanical changes from mine, their estimates now match my reality. I don't feel so bad anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts

EPA updated their testing methodology for MPG for this year, to in theory, give numbers closer to real world driving scenarios. Almost all cars are seeing a decline in stated MPG by 1-2 mpg from their previous model year even if there weren't mechanical changes.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the 6 gained some weight from the sound dampening it has received. Is it enough to produce a ~2-3mpg reduction, I don't know.

As for when we could start seeing leaks on a new Mazda 6, I'm still hopeful for a next gen with the MY 2018. The leaks for the 2017 CX-5 have been around for a couple of months now, if it gets announced at New York that would mean that the leaks were around 5 months or so before the official announcement.
Given the switch to a fall release schedule for the 6, we would start seeing leaks around spring/summer of next year if there is a new gen for MY 2018.

Also, 2018 is when Mazda has implied they will start phasing in Skyactive 2, so if we are lucky we will be seeing at least one model getting a next gen update in 2017. Assuming it isn't the CX-5, we'll probably see a refreshed 3 or 6 next year.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I have come to realize there is another MPG factor that effects the Mazda6. iELOOP cars have a taller final drive than non iELOOP cars (3.591 iELOOP 6AT vs. 3.812 regular 6AT). This taller final drive in and of itself should equal an increase in fuel economy. The claimed higher MPG of iELOOP is only ever attributed to the regenerative capacitor charging and uncoupling of the alternator while discharging, not to any difference in gearing.

TL;dr
iELOOP is snake oil

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have come to realize there is another MPG factor that effects the Mazda6. iELOOP cars have a taller final drive than non iELOOP cars (3.591 iELOOP 6AT vs. 3.812 regular 6AT). This taller final drive in and of itself should equal an increase in fuel economy. The claimed higher MPG of iELOOP is only ever attributed to the regenerative capacitor charging and uncoupling of the alternator while discharging, not to any difference in gearing.

TL;dr
iELOOP is snake oil
Given Mazda's conservative spending it makes no sense to spend valuable r&d on snake oil. They never said it would increase fuel economy dramatically. Also IMO the parasitic loss from a tranditional alternator has some besring in engine responsiveness and go. I specifically test drove a 6 with and without i-eloop. I asked the dealer not to tell me which was which. The i-eloop felt a little more responsive to my seat of the pants measure. Fwiw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Given Mazda's conservative spending it makes no sense to spend valuable r&d on snake oil. They never said it would increase fuel economy dramatically. Also IMO the parasitic loss from a tranditional alternator has some besring in engine responsiveness and go. I specifically test drove a 6 with and without i-eloop. I asked the dealer not to tell me which was which. The i-eloop felt a little more responsive to my seat of the pants measure. Fwiw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
The snake oil was mostly a sarcastic thing, I need a sarcasma serif font.....

But....
Mazda claimed a 2 mpg boost for the iELOOP equipped 2016 Mazda6's(28/40, up from 26/38). They also changed the final drive ratio to a lower numerical value(taller gears) for the iELOOP equipped vehicles, which should increase fuel economy as well(lower engine speed for same mph). The combination of the two netted a claimed 2 mpg.
Now, for 2017 Mazda rates the iELOOP Mazda6 at 27/35 vs 26/35 for non-iELOOP. Weight went up to 3305 from 3250(brochure weight), no other significant changes. I know the EPA testing criteria was changed, but the iELOOP just does not seem to be a significant contributor to better mileage.

As for your seat of the pants measure, we all know that is very subjective. Were both of the cars you test drove GT package? On paper, the iELOOP with the taller gears and more weight from the additional components should feel slower.

I still really enjoy my car, I would have bought it at 35mpg. I wanted the top of the line, fullest loaded one I could get. Fuel mileage was not even top 3 when it came to my decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So the last two pages give varying opinion on when Gen4 will be produced.

Judging from the gen history off of Wiki, it seems more likely we'll see a new model in 2017 (MY 2018)...a new car produced every five years, an industry standard IIRC.

NA release history

Gen 1
Fall 2002 (MY 2003-2007)

Gen 2
Fall 2007 (MY 2008-2012)

Gen 3
Fall 2012 (MY 2013-2017?)

Gen 4
Fall 2017 (MY 2018 -

I'm hoping this is the case as a little over a year from now we'll have the 2.5L engine to choose from.
I was so off in this July 2016 prediction. Looks like it is more closer to Fall 2020 (MY 2021) for the Gen 4 Mazda6 to hit our shores. It goes to show how successful Mazda was with the current Gen 3 that it could sustain selling power over 8 model years instead of the traditional 5-6 for most sedans.

581 - 597 of 597 Posts