Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as the thread implies, post thought of the movie now that it has been released...

I just got back and personally I thought it was a great movie... it almost borderlines a documentary if you will. I think it will affect people differently depending on your own experiences on 9/11.

For me, I was in New York City. Specifically Broadway and Grand Street. So for me seeing the movie it brought a rush of emotion similar to that day... I will admit even nearly 5 years later the movie brought a tear to my eye...
The way the director portrayed the events on the plane was spectacular.... we will never know exactly what took place, but if it was anything like the movie, those guys that fought back should be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom...

All in all a good movie to go to alone or with a spouse.... It's best to watch and try to put yuorself back into your shoes on 9/11 (where you were, what you were doing, who you were with, ect..)

Paul

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I want to go see it. I don't know if I can handle it emotionally, since just the previews get me choked up, but I think it's important to remind ourselves that in the midst of that horrible, awful day, 60+ Americans responded with selflessness and heroism, sacrificing themselves so that others could live. We forget things like that with time, and we get to the point that we are bickering and arguing of miniscule, unimportant things. We need reminders like this to show us what's truly significant in life.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Won't go to see it.

I'm not a big fan of these types of movies. Just as I'm not a big fan of celebrating anniversaries of catastrophic events.

I guess I don't like the constant reminders of bad things that happened. I will remember the unlucky souls that met an untimely death.

Is it wrong to think this way... perhaps some will think that, but I tend to deal with these types of issues in my own way.

John :cool:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Definitely not a movie for everyone. Ppl deal with this in their own ways, so I suspect attendance will be down.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I thought it was a good movie. I especially like the way it was made, very fast and confusing just like 9/11. Im glad it didnt get glamourized and blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would never go see that. In my opinion Hollywood is trying to capitalize on a huge disaster. Isn't it obvious?

I feel like I can't hold back my tongue about this anymore...From what I understand on watching a few documentaries on 9/11 the terrorists told the passengers that they are going to negotiate to get their leaders out of prison in exchange for them. Also that they were going to be fine and no harm would come to them. If you were told that and didn't know how to fly a plane yourself wouldn't you sit tight? What if they really were going to negotiate? These guys that took the terrorists down didn't know what the terrorists were actually planning. They risked the lives of the passengers on a hunch that happened to be correct and were hailed as heroes because it was correct. Would the same thing have happened if their hunch was wrong and they just got everyone killed?...with a movie and everything I mean. So in my opinion they are very very brave but not heroic...and don't get me wrong, if I knew that the terrorists were going to kill me and my fellow passengers then I'd definately attack too. And maybe this whole speech was nonsense because I don't have all the facts or something. I'm not claiming to be an expert on flight 93.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I would never go see that. In my opinion Hollywood is trying to capitalize on a huge disaster. Isn't it obvious? [/b]
Was Schindler's List trying to capitalize on a huge disaster? How about Passion of the Christ?

Movies aren't meant just to entertain. They're also meant to educate.

The story of what happened on Flight 93 isn't well known; as is obvious through your very own comments. All the attention of the events that day are focused on WTC and the Pentagon and the heroes there. Not the heroes that prevented another occurence. While no one knows the exact details of what happened, few people even really know the story that we do know. And this movie is an attempt to educate and memorialize those people onboard.

This isn't Hollywood "capitalizing" on anything. The families affected and everyone involved unanimously supported the production of this movie. If any of them rejected, the director wasn't going to make the movie. Many of the movie roles are, in fact, played by the actual people involved that day and not actors. The movie probably won't even turn a profit due to its' current controversy and it's not gonna be a summer blockbuster by any means. 10% of revenues are going to a Flight 93 memorial fund (the fact that Hollywood has to step in to raise enough money for a Flight 93 memorial tells why a movie like this needs to be made in itself) making it even less likely to turn a big profit.

These guys that took the terrorists down didn't know what the terrorists were actually planning.[/b]
Yes they did. They had talked to people on the ground and knew that 2 other planes had already been used to hit the WTC and another to hit the Pentagon. That's about as close to "knowing" what's gonna happen as it gets until the moment that you fly into the White House.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Was Schindler's List trying to capitalize on a huge disaster? How about Passion of the Christ?
[/b]
Yes! Yes they did capitalize on those to! It's just, people have gotton so used to this that they don't even notice Hollywood doing it anymore! No they didn't interview each affected family to see if it was ok. Or the ones that did object didn't do it publicly because of fear of being blasted on being unamerican or whatever bullshit. I mean, this is one step away from a Micheal Moore documentary. He makes money on current political issues and national disasters...and nobody wants to be a Micheal Moore.

I will not make someone money off of a disaster like this. I'd like to see it for the intellectual value, but will not pay for it
[/b]
Your damn right!!!!!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Yes! Yes they did capitalize on those to! [/b]
You think that Steven Spielberg, a Jew, capitalized on the Holocaust with Schindler's List? So much so that when it was aired on TV he would only allow it if it was aired commercial-free and completely un-edited.

Have you even seen that movie?

That movie single-handedly brought the all-but-forgotten plight of the Jews just 50 years prior into modern history. It's a movie that profoundly affects those that watch it. Do you seriously think that it shouldn't have been made? Do you like to stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes and go "LALALALALALA" and just pretend the all the bad things in world around you don't exist too?

It's just, people have gotton so used to this that they don't even notice Hollywood doing it anymore! [/b]
So Hollywood isn't allowed to make historical documentaries?

What's the difference between this and something on the History Channel or something? How are people supposed to be educated on a topic if we don't allow the topics to be covered in the most popular medium in the world -- television.

No they didn't interview each affected family to see if it was ok.[/b]
Really? And you know this how?

It is a fact that the movie was made with the full cooperation of every single family of the people that were onboard. You can go ask them all yourself if you'd like. Or you can just watch the countless news programs that have had them all on in recent months.

Or the ones that did object didn't do it publicly because of fear of being blasted on being unamerican or whatever bullshit.[/b]
What is this? You make as sweeping completely incorrect statement and you follow up with "Um, well, if what I said was wrong, it's because the families that think like me just haven't said anything". Man, you sure do know how to make a great argument.

So now you have to make up stuff to prove your point? How do you know this? Are you just that sure that one of the families is as close-minded as you are? With all the controversy surrounding this movie anyone coming out publicly against it wouldn't have to worry in the least about being labeled "unamerican" or anything else; they would have at least as many people supporting them as supporting the other side.

Did it ever dawn on you that perhaps the families of those involved would want their family members memorialized? That they would want the all-but-forgotten, yet incredible important and heroic, stories of their family members told to the world?

The families of those killed, all of them, wanted it made. Who are you to say otherwise? You can not go see it. And that's fine. That's your perogative. But to say that Hollywood is capitalizing on their deaths is the same thing as saying that all the families that participated in its' creation are capitalizing on their deaths too.

Some people realize that some stories are meant to be told and shared with the world, not ignored with the hope that they'll be forgotten because the pain is too great. It's precisely those stories that need to be shared when history begins to forget them. The overall story of 9/11 is still too fresh in our minds to necessitate a movie, that I will agree with. But the story of Flight 93, as evidenced by your own comments, is being forgotten. The fact that we need Hollywood to raise money for a memorial to them is despicable. Their story needs to be remembered, shared, told, and passed. And there's no better medium to do so than television.

I mean, this is one step away from a Micheal Moore documentary. He makes money on current political issues and national disasters...and nobody wants to be a Micheal Moore.
[/b]
You haven't even seen it. You don't even know anything about it, and yet you want to generalize it?

The movie is not sensationalistic. It's not preachy. It's not one-sided. It doesn't make the passengers appear overly heroic. Or even make the hijackers appear like pure evil. It's not overly dramatic. It's not given some stupid hollywood romance or any other gimmick. It just... is.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I would never go see that. In my opinion Hollywood is trying to capitalize on a huge disaster. Isn't it obvious?

I feel like I can't hold back my tongue about this anymore...From what I understand on watching a few documentaries on 9/11 the terrorists told the passengers that they are going to negotiate to get their leaders out of prison in exchange for them. Also that they were going to be fine and no harm would come to them. If you were told that and didn't know how to fly a plane yourself wouldn't you sit tight? What if they really were going to negotiate? These guys that took the terrorists down didn't know what the terrorists were actually planning. They risked the lives of the passengers on a hunch that happened to be correct and were hailed as heroes because it was correct. Would the same thing have happened if their hunch was wrong and they just got everyone killed?...with a movie and everything I mean. So in my opinion they are very very brave but not heroic...and don't get me wrong, if I knew that the terrorists were going to kill me and my fellow passengers then I'd definately attack too. And maybe this whole speech was nonsense because I don't have all the facts or something. I'm not claiming to be an expert on flight 93.
[/b]

they were calling their friends and family, they were told what was happening to all the other planes, thats why they revolted.

Some people realize that some stories are meant to be told and shared with the world, not ignored with the hope that they'll be forgotten because the pain is too great. It's precisely those stories that need to be shared when history begins to forget them. The overall story of 9/11 is still too fresh in our minds to necessitate a movie, that I will agree with. But the story of Flight 93, as evidenced by your own comments, is being forgotten. The fact that we need Hollywood to raise money for a memorial to them is despicable. Their story needs to be remembered, shared, told, and passed. And there's no better medium to do so than television.[/b]

GO SIGMA!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My only concern is that the movie will be toned down to make it more heroic. Ie, combining several characters into one to make him/her the center piece of the movie. I have not seen the movie yet, but I just am concerned that they will make the story more heroic than it really was to make it more entertaining.

And damn Sigma... slow down, you killin' 'em!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hahah, complete ownage by Sigma there. I have to agree with him on all counts. I really want to see it, and will soon, mainly because I'm curious to see how the air traffic system is portrayed in the movie, since I work at Cleveland Center with controllers who were working that day. I think the guy who talked to United 93 last retired, but everyone else talks about that day frequently.

I never understood why people have such an axe to grind with Hollywood. Sometimes they actually do some good, and tell stories that, I feel, we have an obligation to remember. It's the least we can do.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow...lookie what i started!!! LOL

seriously though, I agree with Sigma. I'm all for making movies of this type. I don't think anyone on the films production was solely out to make money... Profit is something that just comes along with it...

Movies like this should be made because it educates they otherwise ignorant people that choose to pretend tragedies like this didn't exist because it didn't affect them DIRECTLY. Maybe it's my military side coming out but as an American nearly 3000 of my brothers and sisters died that day. To make a movie like this provides a tool for the uneducated regarding those event. it's not an embellishment or a cash cow or whatever else people criticize it as.

Case in point. Sitting next to me were three highschool kids that were watching the movie as "extra credit" they came in all giggles and joke.... all three left pale as a ghost........

thats education my friends

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
22 Participants
Modcon
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing