Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys this is my first post..... and i have a question to ask... About 2 weeks ago i had installed an Injen CAI. I never got a Check engine light after the install. I was reading on the mazda 6 tech site about this little device that was part of the box that should be left plugged in... I have to take pictures so i can show you. Best way to describe this device is its a green plug and 2 black Hoses are connected to it that i just looped back on to the part itself. I was wonder what is the purpose of that peice and if i should leave it like that or if i have it on the correct way.

I also had the unichip installed today purchased it from martel brothers for 560.00. I have it on map b for 93 octane and i dont have a check engine light. I havent really tested it out yet due to the fact that its raining hard over here the floors are wet and you know how that is. I live in florida by the way.. I dont think i will be able to really test my car untill tuesday or wensday or i might get lucky and it clears and i can find a dry road on the highway.

Now that i have this unichip should i unplug the device i was talking about..... Ill take pictures tomorrow and post them... I will also be doing a dyno run i found a place 3 pass's for 65 bucks....

Oh yeah i have a 6S 5door v6 3.0 MTX with injen and unichip and 19inch rims

Thanks for the help...
Untill tomorrow

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
bigger rims (18 or 19) are actually bad for the performance of your car. So if you're serious in getting the most performance of your car, go with 17 or even 16.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bigger rims (18 or 19) are actually bad for the performance of your car. So if you're serious in getting the most performance of your car, go with 17 or even 16.
[/b]

i got really light rims but i guess i can see what your saying..... I guess when i go do my dyno runs i am going to put back the stock 17inch rims the car came with to see what i get then on the 3 pass put my 19 inch back on to see how much i loose....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well last night i was on the turnpike and i was doing about 85 90mph then i got a check engine light. I was on map B that is the more agressive ignition timing and higher octane fuel. I have 93 octane in the car so i wonder why it came on.. I stopped the car reset the ecu placed the unchip on map a drove again for 45 min reached 123mph no check engine light.. i had to let go of the gas due to the fact that a turn was coming and the roads were still kind of damp but it was not raining. I hope this unichip took of the speed limiter.

So i guess i have to stay on map a or just trying playing with it again i dont know.... or wait till i get it custome tuned after i get my greddy exaust.

I will be taking pictures as soon as i go wash the car today... hehe

Thanks guys for all the responces

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need a scanner to figure out what caused the check engine light. There is well over 100+ different types of cel codes, so without a scanner, or having someone pull the code, it's impossible to diagnose.
[/b]

Well i have been driving with MAP A on and no check engine lights.... where can i get a scanner.... so i can see whats going on when i put on on MAP B

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the regional sections and find a member in your area with a scanner. You can also calling autozones and asking if they have a CAN capable scanner. (Don't just call and ask if they have a scanner, cause it has to be CAN).
[/b]
Do you have a unichip

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope...but pullin cel codes is independent of any ecu/chip modification (unless you are running a standalone).
[/b]
I was just asking to see if the performance gains from the unicip justifes my 580.00 purchase

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
CPE is a much better choice than Unichip at this point.

There is a lot more support for CPE, and the Unichip has been said to have some nasty holes in the stock fuel maps.

CPE Tuneable > Injen + Unichip at this point. Plus, CPE is coming out with a lot more parts for the 6s that will rely on their tuning system

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CPE is a much better choice than Unichip at this point.

There is a lot more support for CPE, and the Unichip has been said to have some nasty holes in the stock fuel maps.

CPE Tuneable > Injen + Unichip at this point. Plus, CPE is coming out with a lot more parts for the 6s that will rely on their tuning system
[/b]

Well i purchased the unichip thinking it would remove the speed limiter... and guess what it does not.. i read someonewhere on this forum that the unichip would remove the limiter....

does anyone know?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there had not been a definet answer that i knew of. only rumors of the posibility...
[/b]
Well then i guess that i am the first one that has tried it on this board... i kinda feeled jipped though.... I mean i fell performace gains... Its weird though...Sometimes i have a lag like. On first gear i give it gas it goes but feels like its holding back a little then after 4 1/2 rpms it takes off. I tried it with out the computer and it rides normal with out that lag.

Any guesses. Do you guys think i should try returning it or get it custom tuned

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
10 Participants
vdmorales
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing