Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had just washed my 6 a few days ago and noticed the bolts holding my license plate were rusting real bad and decided it would be a good opportunity to replace them. I unscrewed the first one with no trouble, however the second bolt was a bit of a pain.

I ended up tearing the head of the bolt off by using too much force (no, I didn't use a power screwdriver) and I was left with a bolt with no head still stuck in my car. Without the head, I easily removed my license plate, and for the time being placed it visibly in my rear windshield.

As for the rest of the bolt, I tried using pliers, WD40, and even tried using a hacksaw to cut a slit in the bolt so I could use a flat-head to unscrew it. But at that point the sides of the bolts were too thin and broke off without much force.

I was thinking about drilling into the center of the bolt then using a thicker drill bit to make the hole bigger until I could manage to fracture it so the pieces would just come out.

Any ideas? I was going to take it to my local mechanic, because I am all out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well you can drill it out, like you said. You risk maybe hitting the threads on the way out. Or you could also try a bolt extractor. I know Craftsman has a kit for different sized bolts. Its basically a tipped drill bit the bites into the part of bolt or stripped screw and backs it out. This happened to my rear bolts, but they were plastic so I didnt have a problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its basically a tipped drill bit the bites into the part of bolt or stripped screw and backs it out.
[/b]
If I have time tomorrow (or today, I guess), I will take a picture of what damage I have done to the bolt, basically when I tried using the pliers, there was a lot of thread stripping action.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. You can try using a dremel to cut a slit in the top.
2. The bolt extractor might be a good idea.
3. Or you can drill it out and get a tap and die set and rethread the hole.

Those are in order of ease as far as I'm concerned. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey guys,

I had just washed my 6 a few days ago and noticed the bolts holding my license plate were rusting real bad and decided it would be a good opportunity to replace them. I unscrewed the first one with no trouble, however the second bolt was a bit of a pain.

I ended up tearing the head of the bolt off by using too much force (no, I didn't use a power screwdriver) and I was left with a bolt with no head still stuck in my car. Without the head, I easily removed my license plate, and for the time being placed it visibly in my rear windshield.

As for the rest of the bolt, I tried using pliers, WD40, and even tried using a hacksaw to cut a slit in the bolt so I could use a flat-head to unscrew it. But at that point the sides of the bolts were too thin and broke off without much force.

I was thinking about drilling into the center of the bolt then using a thicker drill bit to make the hole bigger until I could manage to fracture it so the pieces would just come out.

Any ideas? I was going to take it to my local mechanic, because I am all out of ideas.
[/b]
go get this, its a must have.....
click me...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go get this, its a must have.....
click me...
[/b]
Would this work even though I don't have the head of the screw anymore? From the description, it seems it requires there to still be a head on the screw needing to be extracted.

huntley...my dad had a lot of experience in shop when he was younger and he suggested your first and third options you listed. I tried the first already but the screw was too thin, so the sides just broke off when I tried to use a flat to unscrew it. I am going to look for screw extractors. If I am not comfortable with that, I may end up trying the third option.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I drilled a small hole in the screw. Then I inserted the screw extractor. Took a turn and it snapped...the end of the screw extractor stuck in the drilled hole of the screw.

I tried to drill away the extractor that was stuck and use a bigger extractor because I figured I need more strength, but the material is too hard to be drilled away. Any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I might just leave it in my rear windshield. It just bothers me that there is something wrong with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
cpupartsplz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing