Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was leaving work tonight at about 10 p.m. and it was raining pretty badly, and I drove through a bad puddle (didn't look bad at all, but then again, I could hardly see) and my check engine light came on right then. I have Eibach Pro-kit springs and an AEM CAI installed, but I don't think that the puddle was deep enough to touch it though. I hope that there isn't any kind of damage done (Hydro-locking for example) If anyone knows anything about this or has comments, please post for me..... Thanks

P.S. I know that this is in the wrong section, but I don't know how to move it.
Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You have a standard non speed6... THIS IS OUR SECTION NOOB!!!!

J/K =)

CAI + Water = Bad... if you haven't modded the shit outta your car... i'd suggest you take it to a dealer or find a local on the forums with a scan tool and pull the code.. find out what it is ASAP.... after that you'll easily know where to go from there...

You'd know if you sucked up enough water to really damage the engine... If its running and idling fine... I'm pretty sure you are ok...

If i had to "guess" off the top of my head... I'd say the water splashed up under your car... cold water + HOT engine = lots of steam and cooling action... and some sensor went crazy...

When I had my speed6... before the CAI install... it was flooding on a street (forget why).... i turned into a parking lot... and when i passed over the large puddle... steam started shoooting up through my hood and out the sides of my car... i parked it asap.. and let everything settle... Its just a large standing body of water hitting the super hot exhaust =)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Funny, I've been plowing through deep puddles with no concern.

There's tons of standing water on the roads here thanks to the pineapple express.

I like seeing water blow over the roof.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Funny, I've been plowing through deep puddles with no concern.

There's tons of standing water on the roads here thanks to the pineapple express.

I like seeing water blow over the roof.
[/b]
Me too. I'm 200 miles north of you in Vancouver, BC, and it's been raining buckets. Leaves, branches, trees, falling buildings... you get the idea. My car's been running great with no problems and I have the Fujita CAI.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
haha, sea, i aim for the puddles. only way to learn how to get control of a hydroplane afterall.

but elite, i think it was something like xtreme said. the engine and transmission are very very hot and that causes enough problems when water comes into contact with them. check it again in the morning to see if the CEL comes on. if so, revert back to stock and take her to the dealer :(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You have a standard non speed6... THIS IS OUR SECTION NOOB!!!!

J/K =)
[/b]
Gets my vote for funniest post Ive seen today! :laugh:
When I had my speed6... before the CAI install... it was flooding on a street (forget why).... i turned into a parking lot... and when i passed over the large puddle... steam started shoooting up through my hood and out the sides of my car... i parked it asap.. and let everything settle... Its just a large standing body of water hitting the super hot exhaust =)
[/b]
:shocked:
steam!!?
I would have crapped my pants...then needed new seats...man that would suck

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Rofl... i was freaked for a second... but you can easily tell what steam is... I was planning to eat at Jack-in-the-box... but since Taco Bell was right there and my car was steaming.. I decided to let it sit =)

As for the ppl who say they aim for puddles with a CAI... i claim bullshit... Paris Hilton would buy a car and drive it through wet cement to see what happens... But I can't imagine any of the ppl who buy speed6's driving their cars through huge puddles ... KNOWING what will happen if its deep enough....

Granted... the first few weeks of CAI in Oregon ... (it was raining non stop for 3 months about)... I was pretty easy on the car... but then you realize how safe the CAI is on the speed6 compared to many other vehicles... and you can drive just about anywhere...

I still however do not dip the drivers side front tire into puddles hoping its not too deep.. thats just stupid...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts