Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was touched on a little bit, but I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought the 0-60 times would be for the I-4 and V6 with a manual tranny. I was surprised to see that in a C&D article from May 2002, they were est. the V6 automatic to do a 0-60 in 8.0 sec. That sounds way to slow to me, I'm expecting the MT I-4 to be around 8.0 sec and the V6 MT to be around 6.9 sec. I know acceleration isn't everything, but you can get a I-4 Accord to do a 0-60 in 8 seconds.....just curious what everyones thoughts were....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Replying to Topic 'U.S. Mazda 6 0-60 estimates'

Well, here we use 0 to 100 km/h, but I guess that is close to 60mph?

And from this I have exact info from MAZDA's brochures and what many magazines have managed to measure in their tests (There has been only the usually 0,1 seconds difference here and there).

And if M6-2.3 can accelerate in 9.0 seconds (MANUAL - AUTOMATIC takes even 12.3 seconds to get the same speed). Then those numbers you were doubting would make lots of sence to me...

Infact if you consider also that this car is not a small sports car, but more or less family sized car, then 8 seconds sounds like a pretty good guess... It might be few tenths off the correct number, but close...

I had only some facts, not enough I am afraid.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Magazines are usually faster than manufacturers estimates. However, as a "regular" driver, you will be closer to Mazdas figures than to a magazines' super high RPM launch, with wheelspin, and their 10+ runs they do to get the best figure.

Magazine numbers: I4 will be between 8.0-8.5. V6 will be between 7.0-7.5.

I don't think the V6 will break 7. However, I may be way off base. What does the new automatic V6 accord do? I would think that the extra 20 hp in the engine the Honda has could be pretty close to offset by the manual transmission of the 6.

Maybe it'll end up like BMW where their relatively modest output engines always seem to be faster than they suggest. Hopefully not like Nissan engines where they almost always end up slower than their power suggests.

In the end, it really doesn't matter. Think you can tell the difference between 0.5 seconds in the real world? I bet you can't.

·
Registered
391 Posts

I bought a car book (L'annuel de l'automobile 2003) and it says :

I4 2.3l, 5-speed manual : 0-100 km/h = 8.2 secs

V6 3.0l, 5-speed AUTO : 0-100 km/h = 7.2 secs

and apparently the manual transmission (for the v6) is the same as the auto...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I bought a car book (L'annuel de l'automobile 2003) and it says :

I4 2.3l, 5-speed manual : 0-100 km/h = 8.2 secs

V6 3.0l, 5-speed AUTO : 0-100 km/h = 7.2 secs

and apparently the manual transmission (for the v6) is the same as the auto...

Thats interesting, does the book specifically say that? The reason I ask is that I have a hard time believing the auto could be as fast as the manual, you lose to much in the torque converter, no matter how stout it is. If the auto does 0-60 in 7.2 for the V6 a 5 speed manual should be about ~6.7-6.8 you shold get another half second or so....feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Well, these magazines I read do not make estimates, they test drive cars with several drivers and see what is the fastest time.

Ofcourse accelaration will depend on gearing settings and there might be differences between countries (as talked already on the topic about the gearing).

Summary: this is still nice to know info, and if someone has a real life experinces about this later (who is gonna go first to test course with a timer? :D) please tell.

·
Registered
70 Posts

well comparing similar cars ill use the 222hp maxima from 2001 both manual trans

for the maxima
6.7-60
15.1 1/4

Mazda 6

Auto Max
16 flat

Auto Mazda 6

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Me

well comparing similar cars ill use the 222hp maxima from 2001 both manual trans

for the maxima
6.7-60
15.1 1/4

Mazda 6

Auto Max
16 flat

Auto Mazda 6
15.6[/b]
niiiiice...

·
Registered
70 Posts

Well it looks like my estimates for the manual were pretty damn close. c&d got 6.8 and 15.4. My auto estimates however might be off a great deal. Edmunds tested the auto at 8 flat and 16.17 which is the end of the pac for this segment. i compare this car with the cambry, accord, altima, and saturn ls300.
1st altima 6.6
2nd accord 6.7
3rd ls300 7.3
4th camry 7.9 and last is the 6 at 8.0
These are tenative, i will waite for a more performance oriented magizene to test the auto. Im sure there will be a shoot out between all these cars pretty soon

·
Registered
355 Posts

Back to the topic...

It seems like Mazda6 is one of few cars I have seen in my short life that really can make way faster acceleration than the factory lets us know!!! :D

I just rechecked some tests here in Finland from few months ago (since my car comes after a week or so I can't keep in my pants). And I noticed that the most common engine type in Europe (2.0 which is not available in NA models) made an acceleration from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 9.1 s while the factory gives us 9.7 s or so...

While the compared cars in the test (all being slower) were: Ford Mondeo (who knows what that is named in NA?); Opel Vectra and Nissan Primera (The new horrible looking made together with Renault in Europe). And they all were slower in the hands of same driver, and slower to factory estimates on acceleration...

FOR 2.3 version the estimate is in the papers 8.9 s... And many tests measured this or well below (some drivers made 8.9 seconds even when they screwed up the beginning)... Infact I just read from German site 8.2 s for the time they were able to measure for this car.

I am talking about the manual here ofcourse. But it seems like the car does have potential even more than the numbers we get from Mazda brochures. This is really funny since most cars the promise is very close to optimal, in Mazda's case it seems to be like: "You can get this time, even if you are not a pro and screw up a bit...". :)

Hmmm... Once I get my car, and summer comes, where should I go and measure? :D

·
Registered
391 Posts

But wait, be careful...

The factory make a test from 0-60 different as the test drivers...

The factory:
They start in first, at 0, not puching on the accelerator.

The test drives :
They start in first with the brakes on and pushing the accelerator, so that way, they can win some 0.1 secs... That's not the way we drive normally (or maybe yes if your always driving with others on a circuit)...;)

·
Registered
167 Posts

The Mondeo used to be called Contour in NA. I don't know if it's still that way.

·
Registered
355 Posts

The test drives :
They start in first with the brakes on and pushing the accelerator, so that way, they can win some 0.1 secs... That's not the way we drive normally (or maybe yes if your always driving with others on a circuit)...  [/b]
That might be case with some... But I am not sure if they do the same here in Finland, and in that comparison the other cars results were, as I said, either equal to factory figures or over them, mazda being way under... But who knows...

·
Registered
63 Posts

why do we have to care about the acceleration! most of roads will not allow us to race our car on the street anyway!

I think something around 8-10 sec is good enuf for any car to be driven in the cities!

·
Registered
158 Posts

Thanks for the acceleration numbers.

BTW, the Mondeo will return to NA as a Ford Taurus (put the pieces of the puzzle together, and this seems logical). Rumor also says the next Mondeo will be based on the M6, so tack 4yrs on to the release of the six and you're looking at 2006 release give or take a year.

·
Registered
70 Posts

8-10 seconds is pathetic, especiall for a 26 thousand dollar sports sedan. if i wanted a slow car i would save 15 grand and buy a kia rio

·
Registered
355 Posts

An ugly hidious Kia?
Which they don't even try to sell here, no buyers...

I buy my car for its overall properties, acceleration being just one of them. And I would say that when looking the overall package, Mazda6 gives most for the money.

But if it is only the acceleration you look in a car, then go ahead and buy any hidious car out there, who cares how many years it will last etc. as long as it can go a quarter mile in 10 seconds?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Go ahead buy a Kia. We'll be the ones laughing at you everytime we drive by in our beautys... :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts