Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes I searched, but couldn't find anything...

I was wondering what the typical cost of an alignment is? I just don't want to be ripped off, so I was looking for some sort of average price to look for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
$40 here.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
replace cv boot, ball joint dust boots, + alignment and check all suspension components = 50$.

its nice knowing a tech.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
replace cv boot, ball joint dust boots, + alignment and check all suspension components = 50$.

its nice knowing a tech. [/b]
umm ya, ya think?! That sounds like a hell of a price for all that...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

its nice knowing a tech.
[/b]
Not a "typical" price, though, which is what he's asking for (not everybody knows a mechanic).

And $49 for a front wheel aligment to $75 for 4 wheels is pretty typical.

·
Registered
64 Posts
$45 for a 4 wheel alignment on a Miata
$35 for a front end alignment on a GTI VR6
$45 for a front end alignment on a Dakota - took almost an hour to get it perfect.

All done on a decent Hunter alignment rack. Smaller local shop. Actually not local to me, but came highly enough recommended that I drove ~1.5 hours round trip.

Something else to think about - if you're doing this for auto-x/competition reasons, ask to be able to sit in the car during the alignment or have weight in the driver's seat equivalent to your weight and remove anything that wouldn't otherwise be in the car so the car is aligned in its "as raced" condition. Makes a difference in a 2400lb Miata and 2800lb GTI, maybe not so much in a ~3400lb Mazda 6.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya thanks for the reply's. not for auto-x, just have springs and new wheels and tires, so I thought it is about time I get aligned...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks all of you!

I've been driving 2016 Mazda6, bought it summer of 2015. I don't drive much and only turned 20K miles, this week. Anyway, I have the Dunlop tires that came with the car. And it pulls to the right for the last few months. I drive 40 miles to work round trip. The roads here in Denver are not in good shape.

So I'm thinking of the alignment by the dealer(?) after I buy new tires. The Dunlops are loud road noise. And squirrely when it snows here, particularly on packed conditions. Any advice is welcome!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Alignment after new tires is a reasonably good idea. I would find a small independent shop for the alignment and tires as you'll get a better job in my opinion..

You should also have a separate set of winter tires on rims for the winter season as all season tires are really not meant for snow driving, they are just meant to be some form of stop gap for full winters for people that don't really need them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If I remember, the dealer charged me $79.99 for a one time alignment. If it needs to come back in, they may charge you again. I did this as my car was in for an oil change and didn't have time to go somewhere else. But it tracks straight as an arrow for the last 28k.

Firestone:
1 yr $79.99
Lifetime $189.99.

Pepboys:
3month $89
1yr $110
3yr $130
Lifetime $179 (current coupon -$30 = $149)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah, I started reading this thread and was seeing alignments for $40 - say what? Then I realized those posts were from 12 years ago. There's inflation for you.

I have my local shop do 4 wheel alignments for $80. Lifetime was close to $200 also. I always get an alignment after spooning on new tires. I figure if I'm going to make a $700-$1000 investment in the car I better make sure it lasts as long as possible.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the OEM Dunlops, best to look at other brands for replacement.

·
Rally Racer
2,826 Posts
Portland, OR

$40-$112

Sears will do all 4 wheels for $89

I go to the Ukrainian on 82nd who charges me $40 and will set it to what I want and is fast and friendly.

Don't forget to put your weight behind the driver seat to simulate occupancy.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
.... You should also have a separate set of winter tires on rims for the winter season as all season tires are really not meant for snow driving, they are just meant to be some form of stop gap for full winters for people that don't really need them.
In my most humble opinion:

If he is sees a lot of snow, excellent recommendation. Also best to get 16", narrower rims for narrow contact patch, and more pot-hole hitting capability.

For going with 1 set of tires, as I did (occasional snow in Delaware), the Continental Contact DWS tires are for you, if they fit:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=194 ----> comparison test results

And, an alignment can make it handle better in the snow. My alignment from the factory on my 6S Hatch was not good, and traction was bad with just a bit of snow. Although it was almost "in spec", I just had it done per my custom spec'ns that I had posted 11 years ago, and I can feel less drag, and I'm sure it will do better next winter. Custom spec'ns:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/speed6-suspension-chassis/187032-alignment-spec-not-good-enough.html
---> for both MS6 and M6

Note, shops may charge more, as it will likely take more time to adjust to the tighter tolerances.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I went with 15" tires on my car for even more snow digging power as we deal with more snow than ice in central Ontario. If I spent more time in the city I would likely go 16", but I sure love the way those 15" tires just swallow up those potholes without punching me in the kidneys, lol.

Reactions: KevinK2
1 - 17 of 17 Posts