Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know which short shifter to get! Which one is better and which one do you guys recommend? any help would be appreciated. My car is a 04 mazda 6s

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No significant difference except for shifter height. Believe TWM lowers it 2 inches, while MS is stock height. I'm happy with my TWM, I like the 2 inch lowering.[/b]
Are the throws on both shifters the same? How smooth do they both shift?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
i believe that they both run into the same problem of putting more tension on one of the shift cables but it is easily fixable with the bolt modification.

i have the TWM and loooove it. the shortened height is perfect, throws are solid and lightning quick. the kit is very high quality and the install was simple; i couldn't be happier! :drive:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
both will accomplish exactly what you are looking for. my suggestion is to see if there are any local members that have either kit installed, go sit in their car and check it out first hand.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Has anyone reported breaking the plastic shift linkage with the TWM or Mazdaspeed STS? Everything I read in that thread mentioned the old RPM STS.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It should be noted that although the Mazdaspeed shifter definitely feels better, shorter and allows you to shift faster, the notchiness of the factory shifter doesn't go away. It's still not smooth shifting--this is the one thing I was most disappointed with. This is even after switching to Redline MT-90.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It should be noted that although the Mazdaspeed shifter definitely feels better, shorter and allows you to shift faster, the notchiness of the factory shifter doesn't go away. It's still not smooth shifting--this is the one thing I was most disappointed with. This is even after switching to Redline MT-90.[/b]

I have to disagree here. the MT-90 made a world of difference for me. I brought my car in and got a new 3rd gear/3rd syncro and had the dealer put in redline at the same time. my shifts are butter smooth now. there is a VAST improvement over stock.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have the mazdaspeed throw one of the reasons i chose this one is because of the stock height, if you have a drink or something in the cup holder your hand does not have to reach around it or bump in to it. i have never seen the twm so i do not know if it would even be a problem

·
Registered
46 Posts
It should be noted that although the Mazdaspeed shifter definitely feels better, shorter and allows you to shift faster, the notchiness of the factory shifter doesn't go away. It's still not smooth shifting--this is the one thing I was most disappointed with. This is even after switching to Redline MT-90.[/b]
I was under the impression that the aluminum bushings replacing the rubber ones would vastly reduce the notchiness.

Where can I find the best price on the Mazdaspeed STS?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I was under the impression that the aluminum bushings replacing the rubber ones would vastly reduce the notchiness.

Where can I find the best price on the Mazdaspeed STS?[/b]
the aluminum bushings make it feel much more mechanical and less "squishy." thats one of my favorite parts about it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

Where can I find the best price on the Mazdaspeed STS?[/b]
MS STS Group Buy

Where can I find the best price on the Mazdaspeed STS?
Ask Tiffany. :cool:[/b]
that GB is through Tiffany haha. She always has the best prices.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just installed the MS yesterday, and I will say that the increased effort was not expected (I have had STS's in the past that didn't effect the effort, although all were ROD vs. Cable assemblies), but the shifter feel is great.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just installed the MS yesterday, and I will say that the increased effort was not expected (I have had STS's in the past that didn't effect the effort, although all were ROD vs. Cable assemblies), but the shifter feel is great.[/b]

by effort do you mean harder to shift?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
16 Participants
anotherM6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing