Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a question for you guys i did do a search but came up with nothing. For you guys that didnt use the stock location to mount your tweeter where did you mount your tweeter and where do you think would be a good place to mount it? i just got my hands on a set of Seas Lotus components and the tweeter came in a nice um.. i dont know what to call it aluminum case that looks real nice but the tweeter cant be taken out of it so im going to have to mount it somewhere.. what do you guys think?

-Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got a question for you guys i did do a search but came up with nothing. For you guys that didnt use the stock location to mount your tweeter where did you mount your tweeter and where do you think would be a good place to mount it? i just got my hands on a set of Seas Lotus components and the tweeter came in a nice um.. i dont know what to call it aluminum case that looks real nice but the tweeter cant be taken out of it so im going to have to mount it somewhere.. what do you guys think?

-Rob[/b]
If you mount them as close to the woofer as possible, this will give you the best sound quality. I mounted mine in the factory locations because I wanted to keep the factory look. Was there any kind or surface mount kit?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didnt come with a mounting kit although the kit really isnt needed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Didnt come with a mounting kit although the kit really isnt needed[/b]
If there is no surface mount kit, your next option would be cutting a hole in the door panel to flush mount them somewhere in the upper part of the door.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah what do you suggest i cut the hole with? the kit is really meant to be flush mounted not surface mounted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeah what do you suggest i cut the hole with? the kit is really meant to be flush mounted not surface mounted.[/b]
If you have removed the door panel check the depth just above the door handle that may the only possible location. More good news, depeding on your model your factory woofer location may be 5 x 7's not 6.5s. Use a Jig saw to cut the hole, with a fine metal cuting blade. Definantly cut the hole smaller than the actual size required the use a file to smooth out the plastic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
yeah what do you suggest i cut the hole with? the kit is really meant to be flush mounted not surface mounted.[/b]
canyou post a picof the tweet. Id like to see the way it mounts.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't use a jigsaw to cut out a small circular hole. Just use a hole bit with a drill. Make sure you take the door panel off, check for clearance. You might wanna play around with the location before you actually drill them into the door, so you get the best place you think sounds the best. But usually the closer to the woofer the better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I actually mounted mine in the defrost vents on the dash. They sound good and it is a pretty clean install, but I am going to recess them a little bit more.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I actually mounted mine in the defrost vents on the dash. They sound good and it is a pretty clean install, but I am going to recess them a little bit more.[/b]
If you want a high "apparent" image it's best to mount the tweeter high up or even on the dash firing up and boucing the sound off the windshield. Mounting the tweeter low near the woofer will shift the whole image down to around your knees. Personally, I'd surface mount them on the dash firing up against the windshield but I want to retain as stock an appearance as possible so reused the stock side window mount for my Infinity tweeters.

Try some different locations by using double sided tape and running the speaker lead under the door panel. See what you like best. Do this statically (not driving around) as I'm not sure if the double sided tape would be strong enough to hold them on a textured vertical surface like the door panels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts