Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i was losing a little faith in the Turtle Wax Ice, but i've got to say a month on and it still looks good. today, i washed the car, and finished up with the Ice Detailer spray. what a difference. the color of the car really came through. the car really pops.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah, a big reason I bought it was because I have a black car.

Hell I can't even dry my car fast enough. The water steams right off instantly.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Lol. I'm OCD when it comes to detailing. I've spent over $1000 on car detailing products. ICE was ok. The shine was mediocre, but I really like their detailing spray.

·
Registered
574 Posts
All our cars is like that unfortunately. Get your's clean and it'lll look the same.

Btw, black looks sooooo great when clean but is a pain in the ass to keep clean.
[/b]
Amen to that.. both of them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used this stuff the other day, really easy to use and I think it made my car look great... had to give it a wash afterwards though to get smudges off.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I used this stuff the other day, really easy to use and I think it made my car look great... had to give it a wash afterwards though to get smudges off.
[/b]
That's no fun, you loose the super slick finish to the touch once you wash it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've used this product too... very easy to go on and take off... barley any of it... take about an hour!

Anyone have any idea on long it lasts?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
last month, about three months after my last ICE application, i clay barred, deep cleaned & rewaxed. overall the effect was great. provided that it doesn't rain this weekend i'll wash & hit it with the detail spray.

i'm not a crazy car detailer. i've never owned a car long enough to invest thousands of dollars into detail equipment. for an average joe car cleaner like me ICE works great. once this bottle runs out i may try NXT for a change, but i expect about the same results.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The last time I waxed my car I used this ICE product, it's been about 3 months and water still beads off the car. Mind you the car needs to get a few little touch up washes in between. I'm a fan of this product over the Maguires Gold Class, which is what I used before.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've used both types of NXT (paste and liquid) as well as Turtle Wax ICE.

Initially, you'll love how easy the ICE product is to apply. You're done waxing in almost no time at all. Also, and this is the part that I really liked about ICE, the product when applied accidentally to the plastic trim pieces does not cause the trim to turn that ugly whitish colour. It in fact makes the trim nice and shiny and they remain black as they should.

NXT is in comparison far more difficult a product to work with... especially the paste. The liquid's more manageable. But, as with most other waxes, you gotta keep the NXT away from the black trim areas.

Now, here's the down side:

Overall, when considering deep shine, lustre, richness of colour, NXT wins hands down.

Also, NXT lasts far longer. The ICE product washes off in no time at all. After a week, water doesn't bead anymore.

In addition, I've noticed that the ICE product actually never dries after being applied and buffed. There's a film that remains on the paint that one can easily mark using fingers. Even weeks after the car's been waxed.

I have a car that I keep garaged and drive on weekends. I ICE'd the car and parked in the garage. After a week I took it out and touched the hood of the car and found that I left finger prints on the hood as if the wax was still wet.

Just my findings... I'm by no means an expert on this topic, just related my observations.

HTH

·
Registered
381 Posts
thanks for the tip!
I was thinking of going with ICE but still have my NXT wax and detail spray.
I hate how you can't get wax on black stuff, ugh.

I would invest in a buffer if I was you, I just waxed my car the other day, took about 20 minutes waxed and buffed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What I was told about orange peeled factory cars is that the paint process is not the same as it used to be way back . The way the paint is applied differs in that it bonds in a static way (for lack of a better term in a single word short explanation) causing the orange peel effect . You'll find this on all cars nowadays even the luxury cars . Those that won't have it will have been wet sanded down . You can get a good job done for more or less 500$ . Had it done on my Cobra after t'was completely re-painted .

A car will bead without wax on it .... it'll keep beading until your clear degrades itself from the solvents in it that dry up ... I didn't paint protect the car for the first 6 months and the paint kept beading after the paint job - naked paint .

For sure wax will make a car bead ! Then , as zoomzoomfan mentions above ; it will stop beading and leave that sticky soft film . Why ? Because the wax has melted in the heat (that what wax does - it melts !!) AND now it's in a status of being a dirt magnet in its guey sticky melted form . Now guess what ? You all have to take it OFF
, that's right OFF or else if you don't then by reapplying some more of that shit you will just be dulling it .... so ... you wash it with degreaser soap as in dish soap (not good for the paint though - but its an efficient degreaser) and ideally you Clay Bar it .... then you re-apply your wax and you're good for 1-6 months roughly depending on how many times you wash it / expose it to any heat source , etc.

What you guys should try ONCE and once only for 5 years worth of washings !!! while maintaining a slippery anti-static (dust doesn't cling) shield that will give terrific transparency to expose the true nature of your paint (of course you need to make it a Virgin again with Clay and the works) in its stock form + protect it from nasty UV RAYS / winter salt / rail dust , etc. and all you'll need to do is just hose it off with water pressure and dry it .... think about it ... suuuure ... sounds too good to be true (we're used to being fucked over in this world) .... even after you've read all the words possible
on www.5starshine.com you'll still be doubting and you'll revert to your wax on wax off
'cause you don't know better (we all like this until we try new things and see it for ourselves) . Well I've taken the plunge ! .... and it's all for the better .... no more wax on wax off for me ... no more stubborn hwy bugs ... even drove two kms in the light rain after the weather changed on me for the worst once I hadn't had time to gel the tires .... well to my great shock the car was flawless the next day (that's right - a whole night of dust settlings - light rain stopped 1 hour later :swearin: ) that all I had to do was gel them tires for my previously stalled / intended photo-shoot that you can see here and here too
5 Star Shine !!!

You can continue to be skeptical as usual naturally or you can choose to do yourself AND your car a lasting favor ; I've done my part with my 6 + in telling you all .

41 - 60 of 74 Posts