Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with the beautiful weather, I decided to try out the new Turtle Wax ICE. It's a clear liquid that smells like Candy.

It comes with an applicator pad (Small ovalish pad) and a microfiber cloth. It only took a little bit to coat the car. Then you just buff out the excess with the microfiber cloth.

It really works, goes on really easily, can even do it in direct sunlight.

Here are the results.

That isn't a white scratch on my hood, that's the jetstream from a plane.

:)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
i m not sure it hold as long as the nxt tho... let us know when the bead started to sheet off..

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
wow, that's some terrible orange peel.
[/b]

All our cars is like that unfortunately. Get your's clean and it'lll look the same.

Btw, black looks sooooo great when clean but is a pain in the ass to keep clean.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Turtle Wax enters the synthetic finish protectant field.

Looks good, but not any better than NXT. It is cheaper, though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, granted it isn't the best, but for the ease application it's not bad.

And yes, black is such a pain in the ass, don't think I'll be getting black again lol. Even though I love it.

What is this "orange peel" ?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yeah, granted it isn't the best, but for the ease application it's not bad.

And yes, black is such a pain in the ass, don't think I'll be getting black again lol. Even though I love it.

What is this "orange peel" ?
[/b]
Look at the picture of the hood. Then look at the picture where you can see you squatting while taking the photo. See the ripples in that picture as opposed to the mirror-like image on the hood? That appears to be 'orange peel'. It's where the texture of the paint is similar to the skin of an orage instead of being glass smooth.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah I see.

That picture was also a bit shakey, which made it look worse.

But yeah, what can we do about that? Solid black doesn't hide ANYTHING.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ah I see.

[/b]
If you really want to get rid of the orange peel, you'll have to have your car color sanded.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ah I see.

[/b]
It's also very apparent on the trunk shot.

And yeah, it would take a professional to get rid of it. I watched an episode of American Hot Rod a few months back and the paint orange peeled on them. They fine-sanded the paint smooth and then shot it with another coat of paint. I don't think any would do that with a production car, but whatever can be done (color sanding) won't be inexpensive.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no orange peel.....

but the car looks good nonetheless
[/b]

It's a lot easier to spot on black cars, another reason I won't be getting one again.

·
Registered
905 Posts
All our cars is like that unfortunately. Get your's clean and it'lll look the same.
[/b]
I DO keep my car very clean. Wash it at least once a week and detail about every 3 months with regular waxing in between.

If you really want to get rid of the orange peel, you'll have to have your car color sanded.
[/b]
That may or may not fix it. It depends on where the problem is from. If it's the clear then wet sanding will fix it. If it's the base coat then you have to have your car repainted or at least recleared.

Basically orange peel is the result of lazy bastards from the factory.

·
Registered
979 Posts
looks great but i am devoted to Zaino.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Basically orange peel is the result of lazy bastards from the factory.
[/b]
While that could be the cause of some orange peel, it can also be caused by environmental factors when painting as well as a problem with the paint itself (the mix is not right.) And since the 'lazy bastards from the factory' have no control over either it would be difficult to blame them.

Besides, isn't the paint on the 6 applied by robots?
:laugh:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
41 Participants
stuartMazda6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing