Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel that their 6 has quite possibly the largest turning radius of any car this side of a school bus? It's so odd that a car that handles as well as ours takes such a large area to turn around in. My wife's Impreza seems to have a much tighter turning radius but my 6 easily outhandles it. Just food for thought.

Mark

·
Registered
253 Posts
thought I was alone also
My gf outlander is so easy to park and get out of tiny places, my 6 feels like a caravan when parking...good thing we have power steering otherwise I would just cry!

wonder if we could change something for that

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife loves pointing that out. She also wishes her Impreza handled as well.

Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same here! I thought I was the only one! I used to drive me dads 2007 altima and his is much sharper. I end up having to do 3 point turns on main roads in my 6

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts
Get a '09-up 6. Problem solved. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hate the turn radius. Almost makes me feel like I'm in my semi.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts
Believe it or not, my two 1st Gen Dodge Avengers had an even worse turning radius.
Wow.

Someone actually admits to owning not only one, but TWO Avengers!

Now THAT takes balls... :nana:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I heard the i4 has a horrible turning radius because of the v6 model... so blame them lol. Anyway the v6 turning radius was supposedly limited by space in the engine compartment.. to save costs they carried it over to the i4 and just left it as empty space instead of improving the turning radius. That's what I heard anyway

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow.

Someone actually admits to owning not only one, but TWO Avengers!

Now THAT takes balls... :nana:
Well truthfully, I only owned one of them, the other one was my mom's. I found them both to be good cars.
Had the transmission go on the first one, but that was because my brother ran it for almost a year with low tranny fluid.
Now the current Avenger is an absolute abomination.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I love making U-turns and thinking I'm gonna bust my front bumper on the curb.
That's what I felt like when I 1st made a U-turn in my speed6.
I came from a short & tall Toyota Matrix. I can make a U turn on a 2 lane road in that car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can barely make a U on a 4 lane road. I best start out in the far right lane or it will be a Y turn. 3 point turn. I can't even pull from the curb turn right into my driveway without running in the grass on the left side of my drive. That is unless I back up a little and make a perfect belly turn. I'm always looking in my mirrors looking for my trailer to follow me around though the turn.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
MY wife constantly embarrasses me in her 3. Sacramento is a pretty old town and has narrow streets. If we meet somewhere in the city, she can flip a bitch and get on down the road. Meanwhile I have to make a couple of rights and left to get going in the same direction. The turning radius is far and away my largest complaint.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You just need to get good a handbrake turns :p I remember something about the way they set the suspension up for it's sport-goodness hampered the turning radius, but that may have been conjecture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my '98 Durango 4x4 has a smaller turning radius... more than slightly frustrating.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
So many people complain about this on the 6, but the TSX is even worse, so the 6 can't be that bad.

I heard the i4 has a horrible turning radius because of the v6 model... so blame them lol. Anyway the v6 turning radius was supposedly limited by space in the engine compartment.. to save costs they carried it over to the i4 and just left it as empty space instead of improving the turning radius. That's what I heard anyway
You probably have it backwards. The inline 4 is longer than the V6, and it's the length of the engine that limits turning radius because the wheels can't physically turn with the engine in the way. That's why the turning radius on the old Suzuki Verona/Chevy Epica with the transverse mounted I6 was so bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts