Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little disapointed in the '6 listed wide turning radius. Couldn't they narrow that down a bit? The steering sounds nice and tight by the lock-to-lock, I would think it would turn in a smaller circle than it does.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Turning Radius'

Turning radius is one of those trade-offs you have to do when designing a car, especially ofcourse a FWD.

Anyway, I haven't experienced it very hard to turn in say a parking lot. And even if you'd have to shift a couple of times to turn the car that isn't a big thing, at least not to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Don't know about the turning radius in metres, but I do know it is exactly the same as the old 626 which was great.

I think Mercedes has to be the worst cause you really cannot turn that car 180 degrees on a junction.

The powersteering could have been lighter especially when parallel parking the car. The steering itself takes getting used too when you drive over 120 miles an hour. The car becomes very sensitive on the steering and you have to make very small corrections. I guess that's called the Alfa Romeo feeling. Not too thrilled about it but hey the rest of the car rules, so this adds a bit of sportiness too it I guess.

Other than that the steering is just fine, very precise but fine.

Panther

·
Registered
791 Posts

Originally posted by hieppo

The turning radius is exactly the same as the new 2003 Accord.[/b]
Not in America. The Accord's is several feet shorter.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hey Stretchsje,

I have the Canadian 2003 Honda Accord brochure right in front of me and it say that the Honda has a 5.9m curb-to-curb radius. While the Mazda information I got from the dealer state that the Mazda 6 hasa 11.8m curb-to-curb. This is diameter. If I can remember my math,
d = 2r.

So they have the exact same turning radius.

·
Registered
791 Posts

From Honda's web site: 2003 Accord Sedan turning radius: 36.1ft

From Mazda's web site: Mazda6 turning radius: 38.7ft

Perhaps the discrepency in measurements is that one is measured from wheel-to-wheel, the other body-to-body. Either that, or your brochure is for a different Accord model. Your figure of 11.8 meters does convert almost perfectly to 38.7 feet.

As a side note, I absolutely love the ~34ft turning radius of my wife's otherwise huge Camry. Very useful.

·
Registered
355 Posts

drive over 120 miles an hour[/b]
You are lucky in middle part of Europe, can go almoust as fast as you dare on highways... Here the max speed is 120 km/h. So this means that 160 km/h is more than the maximum speed I could ever try with my Mazda6 before I take it to tour other parts of Europe... So I can't know what you are talking about 120 mph untill I get to travel other places in EU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts