Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about turning off the engine at a stoplight when I know that I will be stopped for at least a minute and when I'm not the first car in line. But has anyone done the study? i.e., idling gas usage vs. any possible engine damage from more frequent starts and stops?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I believe the fuel consumtion at start up wouldn't be worth it. Cant tell u for sure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bad idea - not only for the longevity of your starter, but also for wear on the engine. It's better to let it idle. Hybrids are specifically designed to do this, your 6 is not.

·
Registered
814 Posts
yeah, I always thought startng it used a large amount of fuel (in the grand scheme of things) anyway.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I've been thinking about turning off the engine at a stoplight when I know that I will be stopped for at least a minute and when I'm not the first car in line. But has anyone done the study? i.e., idling gas usage vs. any possible engine damage from more frequent starts and stops?
[/b]
Uhhhhhh., Yeah

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually, yes it WILL save gas.

I've seen several studies that have proven it. Starting the car uses far less gas than letting it idle.

If you are stopped longer than a minute, you can save gas by shutting off the car. See this Edmunds article:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/...42/article.html

However, that doesn't mean that you won't increase the wear on your car.

Check out the links at the bottom of this post:

http://hiroshimagab.blogspot.com/2006/08/i...ing-engine.html
[/b]
Having to replace the starter one time will easily offset any savings gained with this method. Hybrids do this and effectively save fuel as a result, but then, the electric motor starts the car and the engine is specifically designed with the constant stop/starting in mind.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In addition to other's comments, if you do as much stop and go driving as I do, you'll have a dead battery before you get to your destination...

·
Registered
313 Posts
i only do this at the train tracks esp. in some spots where the rush hour traffic plus a cargo train equals unbelieveable long wait. other than that then no. or dead stop on a freeway lol.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'll just stick to letting the car idle. It's not like my 6i guzzles fuel during regular driving (I average over 400+ miles per tank every time), so, at idle, the consumption is ever so slight, especially at a consistent 750 RPMs. I actually let my car idle for over an hour one time and the fuel gauge was at about the same level. Just considering restarting my car constantly makes me want to cry. I try my best to start it as little as possible because I don't want to torture it. In the past, I was a nut with this. If I had to move my car like four or five feet to create some parallel parking space, I would just release my e-brake and push it. Also, if I have the opportunity to drive somewhere close by, I either walk or find a skateboard or something else instead. Silly me...

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Let it idle, oil is a limitless resource.

Really, dont turn off your car, because if it doesn't start again Jack Nicholson will beat you with a bat.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
im not gonna lie but you would look pretty retarded turning your car on and off.
- Even if you saved 1mpg and you have 10 gallons [to make it easy], that 10 miles the whole tank. for us S guys thats .4 gallons of fuel. .4 times $2.50 (on average for the year) is $1 dollar. If you refuel once a week yer saving 52 bucks a year. Not bad in fact. BUT i think the effects of keeping to have to turn your car on and off at every light and looking dumb in the mean time is not worth it.

=] Nice try though.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah that test was shutting down for 2 minutes, i do not know of 1 two minute light in the nation! Meaning that edmunds test is valid in and of itself but usless in practice. In the end the savings is not worth the hassle, potential repairs, or wear and tear on my motor for ME.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It seems to me that turning off the car at every light would cause a lot of undue wear and tear

·
Registered
122 Posts
Whoever said starting your car burns a lot of fuel is a complete moron, and his opinion should be taken with a grain of salt from now on. Shutting your car off will most certainly save fuel, however this savings is generally NOT worth attempting in a standard mechanical driveline vehicle. Your starter won't last as long, that's a gaurantee. However, whoever said you'd have a dead battery after a day is also wrong, generally. Unless you are a UPS package car who travels 50 miles a day, making over 150 stops a day, your battery will probably be fine. Again, these are generalizations. There are limits to everything, and without knowing your exact situation, I can't really advise you anymore. If it were my car, I wouldn't bother with it because I only drive about 10% city, and that would get really tedious.

Edit: I just read someone else saying it's harder on your engine. The only time that's true is if you do a ton of starts and stops before the engine gets warm, and even that isn't a big deal with gasoline engines. It's no extra wear and tear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it was the wear I was concerned about, so it seems best to just leave it alone at a stoplight. It's not an issue of saving gas money - I've always hated waste, and having the engine burning gas just sitting there seemed like a waste. But the savings are probably not worth paying for potential extra wear/damage.

I got the idea when I was in a different country where gas was very expensive. People routinely turned off the engines at lights. It doesn't look as retarded as you may think!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts