Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the ABS. We just had our first freezing rain of the year in Wisconsin and holy shit was that exciting! The ABS came on EVERY TIME I had to stop!! One time I was already going extra slow, started hitting the brakes to slow down further, ABS came on and from that point I never slowed down anymore until I had already slid clear thru the intersection.

Winter tires are already on order, I'm aware the stock tires suck in the snow. That should help a lot, but is there a way to turn off the ABS?? I kind of read something about pulling a fuse but I would think that somehow that would screw something else up.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the ABS. We just had our first freezing rain of the year in Wisconsin and holy shit was that exciting! The ABS came on EVERY TIME I had to stop!! One time I was already going extra slow, started hitting the brakes to slow down further, ABS came on and from that point I never slowed down anymore until I had already slid clear thru the intersection.

Winter tires are already on order, I'm aware the stock tires suck in the snow. That should help a lot, but is there a way to turn off the ABS?? I kind of read something about pulling a fuse but I would think that somehow that would screw something else up.
[/b]
Before you mess with it, be sure to check the fine print in your insurance policy. The insurance companies have actuarial data showing that ABS result in smaller losses for them. When they set the rates for your car, the VIN indicates that your car has ABS and the rates are set for it. If you have an accident, and they somehow discover that you had no ABS (alert police can determine this from skid marks), they might void your claim or cancel your policy.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you have an accident, and they somehow discover that you had no ABS (alert police can determine this from skid marks), they might void your claim or cancel your policy.
[/b]
While I can't imagine why anybody would want to disable ABS in slippery/icy conditions - in regards to your comment, I doubt there would be any skidmarks anyways (except in his pants) if it were icy and/or snowy and he was involved in an accident.

·
Registered
315 Posts
press the pedal down harder and you will stop sooner.

Too many people hear the clicking and think thats as fast as it can stop, it isn't. Press harder through the clicking and you will find better braking.

·
Registered
940 Posts
After reading the other thread and seeing this, I hope to god I never encounter any of you people on an icy road.

Quit worrying about the ABS and get the right tires on the thing already (put it away until they arrive).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
ABS i'm pretty sure is known to be a problem at VERY VERY VERY VERY slow speeds... I think it is even designed not to enguage if you are going less than like 2-3 mph... I read somewhere they had a huge court battle about it an some accident that was caused because ABS...

It could have been something to do with another form of traction control (not ABS)...

·
Registered
176 Posts
After reading the other thread and seeing this, I hope to god I never encounter any of you people on an icy road.
[/b]
+1 There is no way that you can pump the brakes with your foot fast enough to maintain steering. In this instance, the computer can do it better than you can, no matter how well you can drive.

·
Registered
940 Posts
+1 There is no way that you can pump the brakes with your foot fast enough to maintain steering. In this instance, the computer can do it better than you can, no matter how well you can drive.
[/b]
Plus you cannot pump each of the 4 brakes seperately with ONE pedal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just because some engineer or lawyer foists something on you, it doesn't mean it is good.

There are some conditions where ABS is known and proven to cause extended stopping distances. ABS is NOT to shorten stopping distances, it is to provide the potential to steer out of a collision.

So, if you drive often in the conditions where ABS is a liability, by all means pull the fuse. I have had numerous occasions where I cursed ABS. I still have never disabled it on a vehicle, but I came close on my WRX. It was rediculous. It kicked in at 1 mph, and was way too sensitive. They actually had a recall on it to reprogram the ABS computer. If you were on a slippery downhill creeping along, the ABS would kick in and you would actually accelerate down the hill.

If you know your vehicle and know how to brake, ABS is a liability, or at best a wash.

If you are clueless or lazy or distracted or wasted, ABS is great. That covers about 99% of drivers.

As I posted recently, I found the threshold where ABS kicks in on the Speed6 to be about 4 mph, which is great if you need to really creep down an icy driveway.

Read all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

·
Registered
375 Posts
hmm abs is great if it works right.... abs sucks if the system sucks

gm makes an incredible abs system along with the traction contorl system i think they have the best setup...

my mazda on the other hand doesnt come with abs

·
Registered
940 Posts
Just because some engineer or lawyer foists something on you, it doesn't mean it is good.

There are some conditions where ABS is known and proven to cause extended stopping distances. ABS is NOT to shorten stopping distances, it is to provide the potential to steer out of a collision.

So, if you drive often in the conditions where ABS is a liability, by all means pull the fuse. I have had numerous occasions where I cursed ABS. I still have never disabled it on a vehicle, but I came close on my WRX. It was rediculous. It kicked in at 1 mph, and was way too sensitive. They actually had a recall on it to reprogram the ABS computer. If you were on a slippery downhill creeping along, the ABS would kick in and you would actually accelerate down the hill.

If you know your vehicle and know how to brake, ABS is a liability, or at best a wash.

If you are clueless or lazy or distracted or wasted, ABS is great. That covers about 99% of drivers.

As I posted recently, I found the threshold where ABS kicks in on the Speed6 to be about 4 mph, which is great if you need to really creep down an icy driveway.

Read all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system
[/b]
Stop making excuses and put the car in the garage until you get the right tires for the weather. ;)

Seeing threads like these is really scary - all the little ricer kids saw on the mazda forums that ABS is bad and robs horsepower so they disabled it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you even read the wiki?

Do even understand how ABS works?

So, if it works for you in pancake flat Florida on rain slicked roads, it needs to be mandated for everyone everywhere, with no defeat switch, even if it is potentially dangerous for people who drive on steep ice and snow?

Statistics have shown that the introduction of ABS has not lowered the incidence of accidents. Well duh. If before you stopped two feet short of the rear bumper of the car in front of you, and now you go 'only' three feet further, what happens? You hit them. Sure you might be able to steer around and miss them, but guess what? In many cases you have nowhere to go.

ABS is great for Heather the 16 year old who knows nothing but stomping the brake pedal. Or Mildred the 80 year old. Or Bubba who just downed 10 beers. That is what it was designed for.....it is not a one size fits all solution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you speedzoom.

I started this thread with a simple question. Is there a way? And if someone chose to throw an extra sentence in with their two cents, that's cool. I can appreciate anyone's opinion. But to say that I or anyone else who would ask this must be some dumbass "ricer" kid is about the dumbest thing i've read.

I'm 30 years old and have been driving mazdas for the last 11 years. I've been driving my father's street rods with well over 300hp since I was 16 and have never had the benefit of ABS. I don't race, nor do I ever plan on racing. Yet after reading some people's opinions, I'm surprised everyone who doesn't have ABS isn't dead yet!

Does it help in certain situations? Probably. I would think that it would do well on a rainy, flat road if you lost control. But in snow? Over the years I've learned quite a bit about how to control my car in the snow and would like to continue to know what my car will do when I brake or step on the gas. Most of the time you hit the brake to come to a stop, not steer around something.

Think about this...

Maybe someday they will come up with something where the car automatically slows itself down when you turn the steering wheel more than 7 degrees to the left or right. Because you must be turning a corner, right? So it would be safer if you slowed down right?? Everyone would be SCREAMING about how to undo this. Yet it must be safer if they added it, right? We'd all be wondering how anyone survived turning a corner without their car slowing down automatically. People must have just been FLYING off the side of the road before?

ABS is a feature that absolutely has its uses, but it is not a one size fits all feature that should be forced. It should be an option. If they allow you to turn off the stability control, then why not the ABS?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Did you even read the wiki?

Do even understand how ABS works?

So, if it works for you in pancake flat Florida on rain slicked roads, it needs to be mandated for everyone everywhere, with no defeat switch, even if it is potentially dangerous for people who drive on steep ice and snow?

Statistics have shown that the introduction of ABS has not lowered the incidence of accidents. Well duh. If before you stopped two feet short of the rear bumper of the car in front of you, and now you go 'only' three feet further, what happens? You hit them. Sure you might be able to steer around and miss them, but guess what? In many cases you have nowhere to go.

ABS is great for Heather the 16 year old who knows nothing but stomping the brake pedal. Or Mildred the 80 year old. Or Bubba who just downed 10 beers. That is what it was designed for.....it is not a one size fits all solution.
[/b]
yeah, I know how it works - ABS does not reduce accidents because the more safety features people add, the more chances people take. I was not saying there could be no use in removing it for track events, I said i was concerned about younger people who do not know any better seeing something like this (two different abs removal threads popped up yesterday one of which saying ABS somehow robbed horsepower). I am concerned about people who do not know any better (and do not know how to drive) doing this. If you disagree, fine.

·
Registered
651 Posts
All I can say is that I'm glad that Jeep decided to deactiveate the ABS when the car is in 4-LO. It would have screwed me up many times when coming down a steep rock covered trail. :D

The goal behind this is to get a small pyle of rubble in front of the tires to assist in stopping while also pushing the rocks aside to get something to grip on...something that cannot happen with ABS.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was in the same storm except it snowed more here and my car was sliding around so I went home after work put on my new winter set and went for a test drive and it made a huge difference. BTW what part of WI are you in?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I know that I have very little to say on this subject seeing as how I've only seen real live snow just twice in my life. One of those times, though, I was actually driving in it (w/ 2WD) in the northern part of my state on a mountain pass. I wasn't expecting it, and with my inexperience and summer tires, it was a bit scary to say the least. It's kinda funny though, going downhill the ABS was helping (when steering), and hurting (I actually sped up a few times) all at once. So I know what both sides are saying.

I've started thinking, though. The car has an automatic "Snow Mode" that it goes into (constant 50:50 power dist.) when it senses that the car is losing traction in a way that would indicate that it's being driven in snow... So why not at that point have the ABS go into a "Snow Mode" of its own. i.e.: being less sensitive at lower speeds... or something ;) . Just a thought from someone who's far from an expert. So, um, sorry if it makes no sense...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've started thinking, though. The car has an automatic "Snow Mode" that it goes into (constant 50:50 power dist.) when it senses that the car is losing traction in a way that would indicate that it's being driven in snow... So why not at that point have the ABS go into a "Snow Mode" of its own. i.e.: being less sensitive at lower speeds... or something ;) . Just a thought from someone who's far from an expert. So, um, sorry if it makes no sense...
[/b]
That is a great idea.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts