• Hi-Flow Cat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which would you prefer on a turbo back exhaust? opinions?

i, myself, would like a hi-flow. having a cat eliminates a lot of droning noise in the cabin and eliminates the smell of pure exhaust. it also allows for better low end torque even tho you would lose some in the upper rpms.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Catalytic converters cause global warming. Shame on you. Do the environment a favor and go catless. You're engine will be more efficient that way, lowering gasoline consumption. Furthermore, since catalytic converters can heat (or prevent cooling) of the exhaust stream, they somewhat necessitate a larger exhaust afterwards- and that increases noise. You may find the stock exhaust adequate if only you got a nice catless downpipe.

Originally posted by NYTimes
EPA study warns that automobile catalytic converters, which have dramatically reduced smog for twenty years, have now become significant and growing cause of global warming; converters break down compounds of nitrogen and oxygen from exhaust that can combine with hydrocarbons and produce smog, but researchers have suspected for years that converters sometime rearrange compounds to form nitrous oxide, which is 300 times as potent as carbon dioxide; new study estimates that nitrous oxide, nearly half of it produced by vehicles, now accounts for about 7.2 percent of gases that cause global warming; increase comes from increasing number of miles traveled by cars with converters, and problem has worsened with more efficient converters; EPA is not proposing solution at this time; official Wylie J Barbour comments
link

·
Registered
121 Posts
highflow. Not that much difference than no cat, and no cel and no messing with mil eliminators.

I'll take 1 highflow cat and 1 resonator

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice one stretch. maybe i should add to the poll:

do you give a damn about the o-zone?
1. yes
2. no
3. o-zone? is that near the clit? then no. i like to finish first and then go to sleep.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you're in CA, you're an idiot for not running a cat....some cops are smarter than we think. Some fool on the WRX boards got pulled over and the cop knew exactly the mods he had and asked directly if there was a cat or not....car was catless...have fun with the fine/buying new cat/installation, etc..

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you're in CA, you're an idiot for not running a cat....some cops are smarter than we think. Some fool on the WRX boards got pulled over and the cop knew exactly the mods he had and asked directly if there was a cat or not....car was catless...have fun with the fine/buying new cat/installation, etc..
[/b]
Here in OH, where they did a visual inspection, a test pipe with the heat shield of a cat covering it was enough to pass.

Now that only 1 county has e-check, and Im exempt due to a new car, I could care less about emissions testing. no cat > high-flow cat for performance any day. If the tone is too loud, add a resonator.

Jason

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sorry guys, I had to vote "hi-flo". I don't want to have to put a cat on everytime I need an inspection. And here in NH they WILL fail you for not having one.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sorry guys, I had to vote "hi-flo". I don't want to have to put a cat on everytime I need an inspection. And here in NH they WILL fail you for not having one.
[/b]
How often do you get inspections? It's once every two years for vehicles over 4 years, so I'm not worried, but is it worth the extra costs for a high-flow cat instead of taking 20 mins to throw a cat on for inspection day and then take it off the next day?

Jason

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
[/b]
Unless you replace both cats, you're going to fail the visual inspection anyway. Many high-flow cats don't even satisfy the onboard O2 sensor sniffers.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How often do you get inspections? It's once every two years for vehicles over 4 years, so I'm not worried, but is it worth the extra costs for a high-flow cat instead of taking 20 mins to throw a cat on for inspection day and then take it off the next day?

Jason
[/b]
it may be more complicated than that depending on the setup of course. it would take 20 mins to replace a midpipe like the one sc makes, but if it were a full tb with no cat, then ud have to take the dp and exhaust out and reinstall the stock. the positioning on the O2 sensors in the ms6 will guarantee that it wont be as simple as switching out a midpipe in 20 mins.

but i do agree that emissions inspections shouldnt be the deciding factor. im actually more interested in whether u would prefer a cat just because its easier to live with on a daily driver or if you prefer catless because u want to unleash the beast.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Actually I wasn't speaking of the emissions testing. In NH with the regular 1 per year inspection, they look under the car. As long as you have a cat, your ok. They don't measure our exhaust up here, hell I've seen driving smoke screens drive past cops who just shake their heads and drive on.

·
Registered
998 Posts
it may be more complicated than that depending on the setup of course. it would take 20 mins to replace a midpipe like the one sc makes, but if it were a full tb with no cat, then ud have to take the dp and exhaust out and reinstall the stock. the positioning on the O2 sensors in the ms6 will guarantee that it wont be as simple as switching out a midpipe in 20 mins.

but i do agree that emissions inspections shouldnt be the deciding factor. im actually more interested in whether u would prefer a cat just because its easier to live with on a daily driver or if you prefer catless because u wont to unleash the beast.
[/b]
Unleash the beast already :drive: :)

Ok, here's a question then. If the problem is inspection, who in their mind is going to open the hood wiggle around to look down between the block and firewall for a cat? Typically on a visual inspection they take the mirror put it under the car and hope they see something. I'm wondering if maybe this is why there even IS a second cat. The vehicle receives no data from the second cat, it could care less if its there or not, but for inspection purposes, if the inspector sees a cat in the middle of the car then it passes.

So. Do the inspectors stick their heads into the engine bay behind the block to see if there is a cat?

I'd almost bet even if you were to make a new exhaust from the DP back with no cat you'd fail the visual inspection.

Jason

·
Registered
477 Posts
I say high flow all the way. A good high flow cat will cost almost no power loss with the stock turbo. Plus, the sound will be much nice too with the cat. I certainly don't want my 6 to sound like a SRT Neon.

·
Registered
676 Posts
can we do what b5 s4 owners have been doing... the poor mans alternative (in the mean time) and make some piggie pipes. for those not in the know:

piggie pipes
take the cat and beat the [email protected] outta it till the metal shannigans fall out.

I think on the b5's it gave a little more power than some aftermarket exhaust systems because of the expansion in the tube, or something like that :) I know id be down to do it now.... whose got a bat

·
Registered
998 Posts
Drill it, cut a rectangle out and gut the thing. Weld it back together. Only problem with destroying it is you remove the ability to 'put it back to stock' which some like to do when/if they sell the car or trade in their lease.

Jason

·
Registered
676 Posts
Drill it, cut a rectangle out and gut the thing. Weld it back together. Only problem with destroying it is you remove the ability to 'put it back to stock' which some like to do when/if they sell the car or trade in their lease.

Jason
[/b]
eh well do it for the pre cat at least, I mean you dont really need it and apparently cats are bad for the environment... my answer to a cop im just doing my part officer :nana:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've had too many emissions related problems on cars in the past to even THINK about removing/altering any OEM Emissions equipment. NJ is probably in the top 5 regarding Strict emission testing. I'd prefer to wait on a 100% street legal non CEL chucking turbo-back solution and even pay out the ARSE for it.

my vote- HighFlow

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
seems like the most popular setup would be a downpipe that eliminates the first cat, followed by a removable midpipe that can be replaced by the stock cat or a hi-flow, followed by a cat-back of choice. the O2 sensor wires would have to be extended to surround the mid-cat position and a CEL eliminator or ECU remap may be needed. that would allow people to interchange pieces throughout the exhaust system. then, everyone can have their cake and eat it, too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
15 Participants
aemon7
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing