Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few people have turbo v6's here, but lets say there was a turbo kit coming out for our car, what turbo would be sufficient for the 3.0L. I mean we have 3" throttle body, and then 2" exhaust. So what kind of A/R trim would we run if we wanted to develop a custom turbo kit, or for those that already have, which AR trim did you use, which turbo size, and what inlet and exhaust sizes did you use.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Well, there is not going to be a turbo kit for the car before there is a supercharger kit for the car. In terms of turbo size, I would go with something in the 16g size or a small t3/t4

·
Registered
537 Posts
I know a few people have turbo v6's here, but lets say there was a turbo kit coming out for our car, what turbo would be sufficient for the 3.0L. I mean we have 3" throttle body, and then 2" exhaust. So what kind of A/R trim would we run if we wanted to develop a custom turbo kit, or for those that already have, which AR trim did you use, which turbo size, and what inlet and exhaust sizes did you use.
[/b]

Here's some links for what the Contour (Duratec 3L) owners are running:
http://www.arizonadynochip.com/Default.asp
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat...b=5&o=7&fpart=1

I'm running Turbonetics Super 60s (a/r .36) and the other V6 kit out there is running a t3/t4 turbo (from turbonetics), but I am unsure of the trim.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how does the AR trim work? i mean what does it depend on and what does it mean? does it correlate with how much piping your running and how much tubing the air has to go through before reaching its destination or something? does it have to do with spool times? i just want the downlow on AR and how i know which to chooose for my application. thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
how does the AR trim work? i mean what does it depend on and what does it mean? does it correlate with how much piping your running and how much tubing the air has to go through before reaching its destination or something? does it have to do with spool times? i just want the downlow on AR and how i know which to chooose for my application. thanks
[/b]
The A/R Ratio or Area/Radius ratio relates to how much exhuast flow will can be allowed to flow through the discharge area of the turbine housing of the turbo. (hot side of the turbo) The turbine size provides the turbine's flow capability, the A/R Ratio is a method of fine tuning between the different sizes. The larger the A/R, the more air can flow through the turbo and the smaller the A/R the less amount of air can flow through it. So, in my case, if I had 2 T3 Super 60s with A/R of .48 or .64, the turbos will be able to have more airflow, thus more power would be able to be made.

Now, let's say you have a choose between a Turbonetics T3/T4 (Hybrid) with a .63 A/R ratio and a straight T4 turbo with the same A/R ratio, the T4 turbo would outflow the T3/T4 turbo, so you would be able to make more horsepower. However, it will take more time to spool the larger turbo, so you will have boost lag.

So, it really depends on where you want the power. If you want power down low, then you would definately not go with the large turbine's. In my example, my turbos begin spooling at around 2200 rpms; now some might say that's great because everyone wants the power at the lower RPMs, but I am having issues with traction as it is (and once the car gets tuned it will only get worse).

Besides A/R ratio, research compressor maps and how you can choose a map that will cater to your needs.

I am still learning as well, but I hope this general information helps (and I hope I didn't word anything wrong). If I were you, I would go buy Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" book that provides a lot of good information. Also, check out Contour.org, there are a lot of knowledge duratec owners over there that can provide a lot better information than myself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how does the v6 run stock. i heard it runs pretty rich stock... is this true. if so, then if i were to say turbo my 6, do you think i would be able to run 5 psi or under and not have to pay for standalone engine management, and just run low psi with pretty good gains? any people with turbo experience on there 6, got any input? do you think it would be ok to just run the turbo on very low boost apps and not have to pay a grand and a half for engine tuning and EMS? and please don't go on the subject of, "you can't turbo your car....where are you going to get a turbo from" and such and such. i'm just curious on this topic.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've been through 2 different engine managements and finally it looks like there may be some tuning possiblities very soon (SCT or Sniper Tuning - inexpensive options too). So, I am currently running stock and yes the A/F is rich, but not rich enough. You can drive the car around, but it will not be that much fun! I began moving away from race and started showing the car now, because of the lack of support for the car (and I wasn't going to lend my car out for another 6+ months for AEM EMS testing).

So to answer your question you can, but it will not be any fun. And if you push the car, you never know what might happen without a proper tune. I baby the car until its tune. I would spend the $700-1000 or so for the EMS and tune (dyno time).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well there are turbo kits for the countour, can't we just use the same engine management that they use or run the same maps?

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
different ecu, engine is only a small part of the equation

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooooh ok i c. well z6speed, you said tuning possibilites will be available very soon. how soon do you say?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what would be a suitable single turbo for this 3.0L engine. i'm looking for full boost to be made at 3000 rpm, not too down low because i don't need all that down low power without an LSD, but would rather have my power available at like 3500 where i can drop gear and have the rpm sitting in that range on a roll, and then when i hit it, i could have the available power without any lag. it would be ideal for track racing since most of the time, your in the higher rpm range (3000-6250) So which size would you all think suites this engine, and which A/R ration and trim? thanks

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you cant really give more boost than 8-9 psi without replacing the piston heads/rings and or lowering compression, the rods are fine i think, the rod bearings on the lower end need to be fixed with clevete tri-metals or youll get a spun bearing, the fact that you can only give 6-9 max on the engine negates the need to worry about when the power is going to come on the rpm band really, because smaller turbos will give that boost.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks for the info. now can someone point me in the right direction of which turbo i should get to match our 3L.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
just plugged in some quick figures, but you'll have to look at some compressor maps to see what works best. here's the what the engine needs at some rpm points, just look for a map with those numbers on middle island.

CFM / LBS
2k - 161.83 / 9.49
3k - 242.75 / 14.24
4k - 323.67 / 18.98
5k - 404.58 / 23.73
6k - 485.50 / 28.48

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Well, pending tuning options from SCT, there will be an STS turbo available for our car in a matter of months. STS is REALLY EXCITED about doing a kit for the 6

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
any idea what turbo they plan on using?

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
damn, for how much boost? HIBoost has the 4banger over 500hp with that turbo.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
45 psi, for 1 million horsepower.

unless they plan on a bigger headgasket along with the kit or somthing they cant run much boost at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
5 Participants
dabears2k
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing