Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a GT30R to replace factory turbo, Brett (www.metalmanfab.com) is going to build a new exhaust manifold and downpipe to accomodate the new turbo. Our plan is to tune the new turbo to factory tuning until Cobb finished their setup.
We'll be using a Tial wastegate and blowoff valve.
Wish me luck!
:)
I'll post progress as it occurs.

Mike

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Nice! keep us posted. I wish I could beat you to it though!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That is quite a large turbo you are planning to throw on there. It will be interesting to see how well this little four banger will spool that bad boy up. It will also be interesting to see how many axles/cv joints/transmissions you go through considering how many are grenading with the stock power :laugh: .

I am looking forward to lots of pics and videos! It's nice to see people really getting going on this car. I can't wait to see 350+WHP dynos!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
That is quite a large turbo you are planning to throw on there. It will be interesting to see how well this little four banger will spool that bad boy up. It will also be interesting to see how many axles/cv joints/transmissions you go through considering how many are grenading with the stock power :laugh: .

I am looking forward to lots of pics and videos! It's nice to see people really getting going on this car. I can't wait to see 350+WHP dynos!
[/b]
SRT4 seems to spool bigger turbos than that fine... Should be a good turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We'll soon see a dyno graph with power and torque building all the way to redline! I think you should be able to hit 350hp/350tq no problem, probably more torque than horsepower~

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome!! I have two questions though...

1. What do you plan to do when the stock fuel system reaches its limits?

2. How much would a system with a manifold, downpipe, and turbo cost approximately?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
214 Posts
SRT4 seems to spool bigger turbos than that fine... Should be a good turbo upgrade.
[/b]
right, the srt4 2.4L will spool a gt30r at like 3500 rpm. how big is the mazdaspeed engine? i thought it was like a 2.0L?

·
Registered
214 Posts
MZR 2.3L
[/b]
just a bit smaller so i would expcet it to spool a bit slower. i think the mazda has a higher redline though. the srt4 (depending on stage) can only rev to about 6k.

wtf is MZR?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I know I once turned the boost way down with the ebc, and would still pull quite hard under the motor.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome!! I have two questions though...
1. What do you plan to do when the stock fuel system reaches its limits?

2. How much would a system with a manifold, downpipe, and turbo cost approximately?
Thanks, and keep up the good work!
[/b]
1. As far as we possibly can and then hopefully someone has a solution for us. We're hoping there's enough "fatness" in the factory tune that we can lean it out a bit with the bigger turbo (airflow) while maintaining the same boost levels (or less) and get more WHP.
2. No idea yet on price but a ROUGH approximation would be around $750 for the manifold and another $400 for the downpipe. It could be more or less without being able to have the car apart. I have already ordered the exhaust manifold gasket from Revenant and should be here soon so we can have the port layout.
I hope once they are finished they want to produce quite a few manifolds!
[/b]
The manifolds will be built with future production in mind. I just get to be the guinea pig for you guys.
:D

Mike

·
Registered
795 Posts
i have my GT30R that is sitting in my garage brand new!! im just waiting of tuning before i install it!! but i wouldnt recommend that you install that turbo with no tuning available... if we boost at 15psi to redline with our turbo so with the gt30r you will need to spool 10psi , but more than that i am sure that you will hit fuel cut.. but try it , i would like to see as well what it can do with no tuning available.. that car is full of surprises up to now ;)

good luck and once again keep up the good work!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
That makes three of us sitting here with the same turbo ready to go! lol!

·
Registered
795 Posts
That makes three of us sitting here with the same turbo ready to go! lol!
[/b]
heheh nice !!! are you waiting on tuning as well before putting it on???
im telling you , some times i get in my garage and its calling my name lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
i've got a gt40r sitting in my garage...only that one isn't going on the mazda

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
haha! No, I'm waiting for my $15,000 end of the year bonus! That's why all my stuff will be getting done in January. In the mean time, I'll see how you guys get it all done your way, then decide how I want to do it. My patience is thin though...

·
Registered
795 Posts
i've got a gt40r sitting in my garage...only that one isn't going on the mazda
[/b]
someone is boost hungry mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

haha! No, I'm waiting for my $15,000 end of the year bonus! That's why all my stuff will be getting done in January. In the mean time, I'll see how you guys get it all done your way, then decide how I want to do it. My patience is thin though...
[/b]
ok i see !! your a spy tuner lol

1 - 20 of 57 Posts