Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So in theory, I would love to make it quicker, I drive the 2018 sport, so it is the non turbo variation of the 2.5. if I happened to come across a totalled 2018 6 GT, GTR, Sig, or CX-9, would I be able to just pop the turbo and intercooler off and bolt that shit up, and grab the ECU while I'm at it or it there more to it than that? This may seem silly as I drive 1k a week, but it almost justifies it for me because fuggit, warranty won't be here much longer 馃槄. I dunno maybe I'm just being dumb

Registered
No; the engine internals are different and it would not bolt up. Among other differences the compression ratio is lower and it has an EGR cooler (VERY uncommon on gas engines, but rather common even on older turbodiesels -- and it's an expensive component too, often costing more than $1,000 if/when it fails) which is likely to pose problems with fitment as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, she will forever be an ecobox 馃槀 just gonna ride this bish til she quits. Just gonna go ahead and buy a speed3 and fuck that up and keep this one nice. It's a good family car and it's safety rating makes it good for my wife and kiddo to roll around in while I go spool around in a shitty lil hatch.

Registered
Honestly, you'd be a lot better off just trading your naturally aspirated 2018 6 sport in for a Grand Touring, Grand Touring Reserve, or Signature trim 6 if you really want the turbocharged engine. It's a lot more work than just throwing a turbo and ecu onto a naturally aspirated SkyActiv 2.5. As others have mentioned the SkyActiv 2.5 and SkyActiv 2.5T don't have all that much in common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
KentB27
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing