Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI... Did a little bit of digging around recently, and the upshot is that both diesels use an IHI turbo. It seems that the 121bhp engine uses a RHF5V and the 136bhp engine uses a RHF4V - I'm not entirely sure on those though, since according to IHI the 5 flows more air than the 4, so could be suspect. However... It's enough to know as a start. Not particularly useful, but just a point of interest.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I note that there is some info in:
http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm

Bit of clever investigation that?
Are they variable vane turos do you know?, and how suseptable ate they to cooking after a long run up the motorway?, I always (well almost) give 30 secs to cool down before switching off, but it is easy to foget.
Not seen any bad reports of them on the furum, but then there does not seem too many diesels.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errr... Now you're asking techie questions... The short answer is that I have no idea - I was vaguely hoping that someone else would chime in with more details, but it looks like we only have a few diesel owners on here. I don't think the turbos are variable vane, based purely on the amount of lag I get below 1500rpm and the suddeness with which the turbo spools up - then again, I don't think I've ever driven something with variable vanes, so don't actually know. As regards cooking the oil, I think almost any turbo will do that. I couldn't see any water cooling passages when I had a look a few weeks ago, so it is purely oil cooled and as such probably will cook some oil when suddenly shut off. FWIW, I usually use the short drive from slip lane to parking spot as a cooldown, going down through the gears slowly to give it a quick chance to cool off. 45000 miles and no faults yet, but I'm hoping for nearer 450000 miles out of this motor!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little bit more info now that Autoenginuity's software includes a boost guage: our turbos produce max boost by 1700rpm, spiking to 21ish psi, and then maintain 19psi until over 4000rpm. Not particularly useful, but might be interesting!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I...

The correct specs for the turbocharger to the Mazda 6 (Atenza) 2.0 Diesel 136cv(hp) it's:

Turbo spec. VJ32
Serial No. RHF4V
Part No. RF5C

I now it because, recently i had to change mine... it almost died...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
xptp228
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing