Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well guys calling in reinforcements. I was installing my turbo inlet and intake the other day. So then i decided to check the turbo for axial play. To me and all the other technicians at work there is quite a bit of play. It almost appears to us that the turbine wheel was rubbing the compressor housing. I even went and felt the shaft play on a turbo of a mini cooper. very minimal on that one... So i stocked out and took it to the dealer.

The service advisor knows im a bmw master technician. I told him id hear a rattling rotating type noise. And all they would have to do is pull the inlet off the turbo and feel the shaft play.. well he just called me. said theyll fix my oil leak. but as far as the turbo goes. they dont think its making any noise or that the shaft play is bad. But they have put in all thier info to the techline for replacement and havent heard anything back yet.

so its not looking good for me.

fordza i know ur a guru, wouldnt happen to have some kind of spec for axial play on the turbo shaft would ya? or anybody know for that matter?

unlesss a mazda k04 is something different than other turbos there shouldnt really be any play at all in the shaft.

to sum it up. i say my turbo is bad they say prolly not and wait for authorization or not. Any ideas guys? thanks for the help

EDIT: i guess i mean radial play, movings the shaft left and right towards the compressor housing.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yeah, the turbo CHRA is a "plain-bearing" type that rides on a cushion of oil when operating. With the engine off (no oil pressure) the turbo shaft WILL and MUST have what seems like a lot of play. Truely if the compressor wheel isn't touching the housing in operation, it is "fine".

If it was a ball-bearing CHRA, then ANY play is "bad" as it rides on the rolling bearings...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guess you learn something new everyday. to me and other technicians in my shop it appeared like it may have been touching the housing. but mazda has a different opinion so well see.

thanks for the info, so that video from mazdaspeedforums is normal then. Sry it just goes against my normal thinking ya know lol

on my other note they said its a 9 hr job to fix my leaking timing cover, makes me nervous having someone else tear into my car that far

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
.....on my other note they said its a 9 hr job to fix my leaking timing cover, makes me nervous having someone else tear into my car that far
Hmmm, 9 hours sounds a bit much. Is this warranty work? It IS a PITA to pull the timing cover as there is NO room to work. Maybe the flat rate from Mazda allows them to drop the front subframe to allow easy access to the engine?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no idea to me, yes its warranty work. he said book time says like 8. something. who
knows. says they would give me a rental to drive while they do it

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm looked up in my alldata. it shows only 4.2 warranty time for replacing timing chaing says includes r.i timing cover. but alldata is also known as sum data lol. that sounds more right to me. much like doing work on mini coopers

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
going to bring the car back to them monday. getting a rental. there also going to replaced the oil pan gasket since they dont know for sure where its coming from. he said 2 to 3 days for it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just FYI, there are no physical gaskets for the timing cover or oil pan. They're all precision fit components with silicone sealer applied...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i got my car back today finally. my rental was the biggest piece of crap ever. after i got home on my lunch break and popped the hood for a sec cause i dont trust anyone not fucking something up. they had the car 3 days to " fix it right" as i wanted them to take thier time too. popped the hood and it smelled funny. sure enough coolant was splashing out of the coolant res because they didnt put the cap on.

you would think something so simple could be accomplished. so i had to wash my engine bay at work no big deal. inspected their repairs, no jumped out at me. just that they left the cap off and happened to use tons of rtv and not even wipe the excess off.

guess i need to decide if i want to mess with warranty or just say f it and fix everything myself as ive always done.

But hey no leaks now, hope it stays that way

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
great news! im leaking again already, so no more dealer visits for me unless its major.i cant believe there are techs out there that do work that thats shitty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts